mosslack

Asus 1201N Installation and support

2,573 posts in this topic

Advertisement

Is anyone else's hackintosh incredibly slow? I understand that it only has 2 gigs of ram and that the atom is not a fast cpu but snow leopard appears to be running very slow for me with a lot of lagging especially when scrolling. Am i the only one?

2o2-

Sometimes, maybe one in ten boot ups, mine will only load three quarters of a gig of RAM. Since i only reboot on the weekends this is fairly infrequent, but it was rather annoying before i realized what was going on.

So now whenever i boot up, i open Activity Monitor App and check to see how much memory is loaded. If it is 768 MBs, i reboot until i see the good old 3.25 GBs.

Is not a perfect solution, but for me the best time to reboot is when i have just booted up anyways. HTH

I just picked up a refurb 1201N and plan on installing OS X. However, there was no windows 7 recovery disk included with this unit and I would like to have a backup before blowing away the HDD. Is there any chance someone here could send me a copy of the restore disc(s)? I can paypal you a few bucks for the postage and media. Thanks in advance.

Hello, does anyone use the "deep sleep" hibernate mode for his 1201n?

(saving memory to disk in stead of standby)?

It does not work on my 1201n, when I boot up, i get an error that there is not enoughy memory to restore the image.

Im using 10.6.6.

I hope anyone can help me out, the 1201n is almost a production machine,

Martijn

I just picked up a refurb 1201N and plan on installing OS X. However, there was no windows 7 recovery disk included with this unit and I would like to have a backup before blowing away the HDD. Is there any chance someone here could send me a copy of the restore disc(s)? I can paypal you a few bucks for the postage and media. Thanks in advance.

You can get a restore disc from ASUS for FREE if it was not included in your shipment.

Just mail them that the restore disc was missing with the details of your ASUS EeePC including serial number, you will be shipped with a restore disc.

Hello, does anyone use the "deep sleep" hibernate mode for his 1201n?

(saving memory to disk in stead of standby)?

It does not work on my 1201n, when I boot up, i get an error that there is not enoughy memory to restore the image.

Im using 10.6.6.

I hope anyone can help me out, the 1201n is almost a production machine,

Martijn

I believe the deep sleep recovery depends on a certain version of chameleon: it used to work for me until I installed the chameleon version that enables c-states and p-states discussed a couple of pages behind, from then on I get your same error. I cannot, for the life of me, remember which version of chameleon I installed before, could be the one coming with an older netbookmaker or a more recent one ... sorry

I believe the deep sleep recovery depends on a certain version of chameleon: it used to work for me until I installed the chameleon version that enables c-states and p-states discussed a couple of pages behind, from then on I get your same error. I cannot, for the life of me, remember which version of chameleon I installed before, could be the one coming with an older netbookmaker or a more recent one ... sorry

Thanks for reacting, a previous version worked ok for me, however, that was not on 10.6.6 but 10.6.5.

The strange thing is, when I boot from a USB stick (same CHameleon version), the machine restores quickly from the sleep image

I also tried the 7.21 version (project OSX) from the same trunk, it does not work for hibernate either.

So im really interested in user that have restore from sleep image working (in 10.6.6)...

Apart from this issue, this machine really rocks and is very stable and smooth, not any hickup or KP.

Can someone please show me how to make a 4gb dsdt for TiGuy's guide? or just make me one. Thanks

I tried using the normal technique of changing the values for the amount of system memory, but it did not work with his install procedures. Someone smarter than me will need to figure this out.

The best way to learn is to load both the 2 Gb DSDT and the 4 Gb DSDT from my install files into DSDTSE. You can use the compare feature if you want to look at both side by side. You can search for SystemMemory in the search box and compare those areas in both DSDT's. You will notice different values for the series of numbers following each one.

What I did was to substitute the values listed for my 4 Gb DSDT into the same area on TiGuy's 2 Gb DSDT. That should give you a 4 Gb DSDT the same as his in all other respects. When I tried it didn't work, but I was in a hurry and may have missed something. HTH

I tried using the normal technique of changing the values for the amount of system memory, but it did not work with his install procedures. Someone smarter than me will need to figure this out.

The best way to learn is to load both the 2 Gb DSDT and the 4 Gb DSDT from my install files into DSDTSE. You can use the compare feature if you want to look at both side by side. You can search for SystemMemory in the search box and compare those areas in both DSDT's. You will notice different values for the series of numbers following each one.

What I did was to substitute the values listed for my 4 Gb DSDT into the same area on TiGuy's 2 Gb DSDT. That should give you a 4 Gb DSDT the same as his in all other respects. When I tried it didn't work, but I was in a hurry and may have missed something. HTH

Thanks Mosslack. I'll try this.

Mosslack, So what am I looking for here? Sorry I'm not that familiar with this

I think you found the wrong one, if you look through the lines which contains SystemMemory (Use the next button), there will be at least one which will be different. It's been awhile, there may be more than one. This line will contain a series of numbers something like this:

OperationRegion (R3MR, SystemMemory, 0xF0070000, 0x0FFF)

Note the one which contains a different series of numbers, this is the one which is changed for the different amount of RAM. Use the series of numbers from the 4 Gb DSDT version and put those number in the same line of TiGuy's DSDT.

HTH

I use the 10.6.5 dsdt on 10.6.6 and deepsleep works fine.

Unless, you always boot to the same Operating system(OS) after hibernation/deepsleep, it is NOT recomended to enable Hibernation(deepSleep) either or Windows or on Snowleopard on a MULTIBOOT configured system.

This is be because, there is a high chance of corruption of the commonly supported filesystems ( shared partitions like FAT32/NTFS), because the OS stores filesystem snapshot at the time of hibernation and any changes (additon or deletion of a file) made after that point on these filesystem on the later OS will not be reflected after we resume on the former OS .

So bottom line is when you intend to boot to other OS, DO NOT hibernate the current OS.

I think you found the wrong one, if you look through the lines which contains SystemMemory (Use the next button), there will be at least one which will be different. It's been awhile, there may be more than one. This line will contain a series of numbers something like this:

OperationRegion (R3MR, SystemMemory, 0xF0070000, 0x0FFF)

Note the one which contains a different series of numbers, this is the one which is changed for the different amount of RAM. Use the series of numbers from the 4 Gb DSDT version and put those number in the same line of TiGuy's DSDT.

HTH

I changed the part (example only) 0xF0070000, 0x0FFF and compiled. I then drag it to my extra, shut down and then installed my 4gb. It recognized the ram and everything (but a little shaky) and my resolution is stuck in 1024 x ??? Can you help me please Mosslack, if you can kindly try again to make a 4gb dsdt for Tiguys guide (whenever you have time)

I changed the part (example only) 0xF0070000, 0x0FFF and compiled. I then drag it to my extra, shut down and then installed my 4gb. It recognized the ram and everything (but a little shaky) and my resolution is stuck in 1024 x ??? Can you help me please Mosslack, if you can kindly try again to make a 4gb dsdt for Tiguys guide (whenever you have time)

It's been so long now I've forgotten how my system reacted to the attempt, but I will try once again some day, just not sure when right now. I've too many other projects going on and haven't even booted my 1201N or Mini 311 for quite some time now.

It's been so long now I've forgotten how my system reacted to the attempt, but I will try once again some day, just not sure when right now. I've too many other projects going on and haven't even booted my 1201N or Mini 311 for quite some time now.

Thank You very much!!!, I appreciate it.

Thank You very much!!!, I appreciate it.

I had some free time this evening and took a look at the DSDT which VMonHeros uses and discovered that the RAM values are the same as those in my 4 Gb DSDT. If you haven't already, give this one a try and see if it works.

dsdt.aml.zip

I had some free time this evening and took a look at the DSDT which VMonHeros uses and discovered that the RAM values are the same as those in my 4 Gb DSDT. If you haven't already, give this one a try and see if it works.

Mosslack, Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! It works perfectly! With this DSDT and Mosslack/TiGuys guide, my system works perfectly. I have sleep working when closing the lid, updated from 10.6.5 to 10.6.6 via software update with no problems. 4gb is working, running 64 bits. The only thing that is probably off (but it does not bother me) is that when waking up from sleep it would say my SDHC card was not ejected properly.

Thanks againg Mosslack and the rest of 1201n Insanelymac members

Mosslack, Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! It works perfectly! With this DSDT and Mosslack/TiGuys guide, my system works perfectly. I have sleep working when closing the lid, updated from 10.6.5 to 10.6.6 via software update with no problems. 4gb is working, running 64 bits. The only thing that is probably off (but it does not bother me) is that when waking up from sleep it would say my SDHC card was not ejected properly.

Thanks againg Mosslack and the rest of 1201n Insanelymac members

Very happy that it works for you. I may have to try it myself again and see what I can do. I just got my Mini 311 up to date last night so maybe it's time to get the 1201N back in form as well.

Very happy that it works for you. I may have to try it myself again and see what I can do. I just got my Mini 311 up to date last night so maybe it's time to get the 1201N back in form as well.

Attached is the error I get every time it wakes up. Again, Thank you you very much.

post-629250-1298426549_thumb.png

post-629250-1298426555_thumb.png

I have sleep working when closing the lid, updated from 10.6.5 to 10.6.6 via software update with no problems. 4gb is working, running 64 bits.

Are you using vanila 64bit kernel or modified Teas kernel on SL 10.6.6?