mosslack

Asus 1201N Installation and support

2,573 posts in this topic

I forgot where I got this DSDT, it works well and can with lidsleep.kext sleep without SleepEnabler.kext with the lid close. I have 2GB so I'm trying the one in the link right now, if it doesn't work well I'll go back to the old one and try to add Pstates. I forgot you had 4GB so thats most likely it.

Okay the 2GB thing fixed, I feel stupid. Also I can't get the BIOS boot booster back, you said you disabled it?

Advertisement

Hi, as people request it, here is the 2 GB dsdt.aml.

You will have to replace the one there is in the /Extra folder I provided you, so after the step 2) and juste before the step 3) :).

All the steps are here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1619949

Enjoy...

P.S.: if you need 3 GB, OK, I will also do it :P

dsdt.aml.zip

Studied now constantly this thread and must admit that i am not the "console" expert.

Currently running 10.6.5 dual boot with win7.

Is there any step-by-step guide for update available.

Genuine machine except change to dell mini WLAN.

Help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Could someone please tell me whether this netbook plays MKV 1080p within builtin and output monitor smoothly?

I just want to butt in here for a moment to announce the HQ-A ProjSys2 giveaway which is coming up shortly. I put up a short teaser video on YouTube tonight which can be viewed here:

We hope to have a final decision on the system type soon and will be announcing the contest details shorty afterwards. Thanks for your time.

The system is running great sitting at 10.6.6 with 2gb ram but it runs hot as I use smcfan to monitor it and its usually sitting at 47-52C no load and peaking at 57-65C with either PScs5 or someother system intensive program running. I cant find a way to increase the fan speed or cool the system down can I? I sometimes have a fan under it which takes off around 3-4C most times sometimes more.

Andrew

Could someone please tell me whether this netbook plays MKV 1080p within builtin and output monitor smoothly?

Indeed it will, to either laptop screen or ext. display. However, it is not smooth if the file size is too large or if you are doing something else at the same time. I try to keep the movie rips to a gig and a half or two gigs.

Indeed it will, to either laptop screen or ext. display. However, it is not smooth if the file size is too large or if you are doing something else at the same time. I try to keep the movie rips to a gig and a half or two gigs.

My MKV movie 1080p is about 8 - 14 GB :|

Not sure if it can play well

I have followed mosslack guide to 10.6.4 at the first post, no kexts installed and then VMonHeros update to 10.6.6 / 2Gb.

Then I installed ethernet and sound kexts using KextUtility but no more.

What I have now is an almost complete osx 10.6.6 with a few issues:

• battery almost 3h. I hear the fan all the time and I am not quite sure what is working hard with osx that with windows 7 didn't.
  • Bluethooth shows lots of devices. I can't turn it off/on but I use it. This is just a minor issue,

Because of the stability I have now I don't want to do something that drive me to KP!!

Do I have to uninstall any kext? voodooHDS prefPane? Sleep?

Do I need to install something else?

OTOH, I don't have an external CD/DVD drive. Is there a guide to dual-boot win7 having osx installed?

Thanks

Hi,

Battery between 3 and 3,5 hours is normal. However, for your fan always on, did you check that the AGPM is working for the graphics card ? As the CPU and the GPU share the same cooling, it may be checked.

For the bluetooth, I don't use it. However, with the legacy injector in /Extra, you might be able to disable it ;).

Battery between 3 and 3,5 hours is normal. However, for your fan always on, did you check that the AGPM is working for the graphics card ? As the CPU and the GPU share the same cooling, it may be checked.

Ehm... sorry to say that but I don't know what you are talking about ;)

Ehm... sorry to say that but I don't know what you are talking about :(

OK, OK, I will help you LOL.

Launch a Terminal

Type

> sudo -s

> provide your password

> dmesg

You will have some lines like that

AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 3 from 3, ControlID = 16

AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16

AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 1 from 2, ControlID = 16

Auth result for: 00:0f:66:a3:29:d4 MAC AUTH succeeded

AirPort: Link Up on en0

AirPort: RSN handshake complete on en0

AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 2 from 1, ControlID = 16

AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16

As I explained, State 3 is in fact the State where the GPU speed is the small one, so 300 MHZ. State 2 is around 350 and State 1 450 I feel (so the max one). To be in state 3 ensure that the GPU is at it minimum speed, so less temps ;). However, if you need power, the GPU will automatically increase it speed :) (you see the GPU Speed change in the previous line :)).

For the bluetooth, the BroadcomUSB270injector.kext, that you might have in your /Extra folder is what I'm talking about. Normally, all need files for AGPM and Bluetooth are inside the Extra folder I provided you some post before :).

Again, sorry for my poor English :P.

My MKV movie 1080p is about 8 - 14 GB :)

Not sure if it can play well

Those are big big rips. I compress mine more not just for smooth playback on ion, but for smooth streaming throughout our household's wireless network.

Hi, thank you very much for your guide! :)

Did you try sleepenabler for 10.6.6 with your installation?

Is there a way to make 64 bits mode enabled with this installation?

Regards

Teas 64bit modified(binary patched) Atom 330 kernel for 10.6.6 is now available. Go through the blog for details.

http://tdev.me/2011/01/mach-kernel-atom-10...10-6-6/?lang=en

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197020

Direct download link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?47w640vu47a789z

MD5 sum:

• The original kernel: 1d7fe3580300196681d9e25562b1922a
  • Patched kernel: ff9e9262202b76bc70ed11e23947aa81

Installation info.

Please go through my post for 64bit kernel for OSX 10.6.5.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...33&st=2055#

Teas 64bit modified(binary patched) Atom 330 kernel for 10.6.6 is now available.

This is what I get now:

# uname -a

Darwin giGGlers-Mac.local 10.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.6.0: Wed Nov 10 18:13:17 PST 2010;

root:xnu-1504.9.26~3/RELEASE_I386 i386

Sorry for my little understanding on how this works but I think I am now on 64Bits and the teateam kernel is just a patch for atom (needless to say, kudos for them!!). That said, if we run this patch could a software update corrupts the system?

Thanks

This is what I get now:

# uname -a

Darwin giGGlers-Mac.local 10.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.6.0: Wed Nov 10 18:13:17 PST 2010;

root:xnu-1504.9.26~3/RELEASE_I386 i386

Sorry for my little understanding on how this works but I think I am now on 64Bits and the teateam kernel is just a patch for atom (needless to say, kudos for them!!). That said, if we run this patch could a software update corrupts the system?

Thanks

Not exactly ;) .

If you follow my guide, you're in a 32 bit kernel but with 64 bits extensions, as our Atom is 64 bits ready. So, if you look, everything that is outside the Kernel ring (drivers are in the Kernel ring :( is in 64 bits.

To be clear, it is enought, as our Atom is 64 bits ready for the instruction, but handle memory only in 32 bits. So it's explain why even with 4 GB of memory you have only 3.25 GB available for the system. In 32 bits, only 3.5 GB can be handle by the memory controller, and if you remove the 256 MB of memory used by the graphic card, you've got 3.25 GB ;) .

So, do not complicate your life (in my opinion) :P .

However, if you want to try, the Tea kernel is no more 64 bits than the "original" vanilla kernel. The problem is that the Chameleon Kernel patch of Meklort only work if you launch the vanilla kernel in 32 bits mode (I don't test it to check if now it works with 64 bits !!!). As the Tea Kernel is modified inside the kernel to accept the Atom, you can lanch the kernel with no need to patch it on the fly ;) . Thats all.

To launch the kernel in 64 bits, you will have to add an arch=x86_64 parameters inside the com.apple.Boot.plist.

More explanation here http://netkas.org/?p=127

I think that all the kexts I provided in my /Extra are 32/64 bits. But I never tested it :P .

crystal clear.

AFAIK, it might be a little speed processing improvement but I think I am not going to switch it now ;)

Thanks!!

For who can be interested, my last investigation:

* there is a new version of VoodooPS2 that is working great :). Be careful, if you use this one, you don't need anymore everything that is in *applePS2*something in Extra folder ;).

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=240639

* the last version of chameleon works great for P-States and C-States generation :). You can use them. But in this case, you have to remove all the P-States and C-States information in your DSDT.aml and to add the P-States and C-States generation in com.apple.Boot.plist.

So in your DSDT.aml, the only information for CPU must be that

Scope (_PR)

{

Processor (CPU0, 0x01, 0x00004010, 0x06)

{

}

Processor (CPU1, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x06)

{

}

Processor (CPU2, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x06)

{

}

Processor (CPU3, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x06)

{

}

}

Scope (\)

=> nothing with _CSS or _PSS (it is C-states and P-States declared in you DSDT).

In com.apple.Boot.plist, add

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

* the last version is OK also for memory and CPU detection :). So you can drop these lines in SMBIOS.plist

<key>SMcputype</key>

<string>769</string>

<key>SMexternalclock</key>

<string>133.25</string>

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>

<string>1600</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>800</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>19</string>

=> Note that at present time, it detects 4 DIMM slot, so for Chameleon our memory is on DIMM0 and DIMM2. If you want to have something correctly present for name and SN numbers, you must declare them in SMBIOS.plist. Here is my complete file content (I declare memory1 and memory 3 = DIMM0 and DIMM2).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosdate</key>

<string>10/12/2008</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MBA21.88Z.00BB.B00.0712201139</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>MacBook Air</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacBookAir2,1</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>G89072AMF5</string>

<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>

<string>Micron</string>

<key>SMmemmanufacter_3</key>

<string>Micron</string>

<key>SMmempart_1</key>

<string>0x48594D503131325336344350362D59352020</string>

<key>SMmempart_3</key>

<string>0x48594D503131325336344350362D59352020</string>

<key>SMmemserial_1</key>

<string>0x00003021</string>

<key>SMmemserial_3</key>

<string>0x00003021</string>

</dict>

</plist>

* For the Chameleon version

=> if you use the TeaKernel (the one modified for ATOM), you can use the one compiled here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

=> if you want to use the vanilla kernel, you have to use the chameleon version modified by Meklort (it works well, it is the one I use !!! Be careful I only test it in 32 bit mode Kernel !!!). You can find a version compiled by Aikidoka25 in the HP Mini 311c thread, post 2 Update 09/12/2010

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1455097

To install it

1 put boot file into / (you have to delete the old one first :(, and please, do not reboot here :P)

2 copy the contents of modules directory into /Extra/modules

3 rebuild all the Kext with KextUtil

4 reboot

* Last modified version of FakeSMC works well also. Just replace the one in /Extra/Extensions with what you will found here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=234452

=> go to the last pages to have the last complied version. For the Asus we just need the FAKESMC, Nvidia and Intel Plugin. And as always, rebuild the Kext cache after the change !!!!!

* LegacyAGPM. Uses it ;). Do not forgot to modify the info.plist with the needed information (it is explained in previous posts in this thread). As I provide you my complete Extensions folder, you can just use the file you will find in this one.

Be careful, the DSDT I provide is the one for a 4 GB system... But is is the same that is coming from post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1582447, with just the "CPU" modification as I explained previously.

With all this change, my battery time is around 3:30h, so quite better :).

Thanks for the hard work of everybody as here, I just compiled information that are floating around ;).

For the one that love to do test, I succeeded in creating an external USB boot partition. Very good for testing recovery :).

But... You need to create it from a real MAC....

1) Install from you MAC MACOS in the external usb drive

2) Boot on your MAC from this drive, update the system

3) Boot on your "normal" MAC system

4) Install Mosslack file on the USB drive (please be careful that you have correctly selected the target drive !!!!!!!). Check that you put the right DSDT file (for your memory size) in /Extra

5) Install the last complied Chameleon version from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075 on the target drive (again, be careful of the target).

6) Replace ton the target USB drive the vanilla kernel by the Tea Kernel (check the name and the version :P).

7) Boot on your 1201N and finish all that is needed (some change in /Extra, optimization, what you want :P)

It is finished. You can boot this drive on your 1201N :). It helps a lot for debug ;).

For the step 1), I never succeeded in doing it from the 1201N. The installation remained stick at 90%...

I tried this method to get more juice out of my battery. Unfortunately, the trackpad doesnot work with this method and the battery drains pretty fast. 100% to 80% in less than 10 minutes without doing much activity as the trackpad/mouse was hung.

I tried even to update to the latest LegacyAGPM and VoodooPS2controller.

I guess VoodooPS2controller is the culprit.

When I switched back to the ApplePS2controller trackpad is working now and looks like everything is running smooth. Need to check the battery for sometime. I am running 64bit kernel with 4GB RAM on 10.6.6

I tried this method to get more juice out of my battery. Unfortunately, the trackpad doesnot work with this method and the battery drains pretty fast. 100% to 80% in less than 10 minutes without doing much activity as the trackpad/mouse was hung.

I tried even to update to the latest LegacyAGPM and VoodooPS2controller.

I guess VoodooPS2controller is the culprit.

When I switched back to the ApplePS2controller trackpad is working now and looks like everything is running smooth. Need to check the battery for sometime. I am running 64bit kernel with 4GB RAM on 10.6.6

Please, use the files from this thread, they are more up to date

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1619949

For the trackpad, I sometimes have to rebuild the kext cache again to have it working !!! It's why I've got always my USB2 mouse ;).

I have tested my battery today with heavy usage (desktop mainly: browser, word, pdf, spotify) and it lasted about 3h.

It's not 4-5h but honestly I replaced the HD with a 7200rpm 500Gb so theres a loss here.

What I am trying now is to dual-boot a simple system such as jolicloud (chrome OS isn't quite ready yet) in order to have a *travel mode*.

That said, VMonHeros install is pretty clean and, at least someone reaches 4-5 hours battery life I would keep this.

When I boot, after BIOS splash OSX starts very quickly so I cannot see anything about chameleon or disk selection.

This is because I installed Jolicloud.

I have tried to add

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

at the end of /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist but the boot remains the same :(

Next I tried to press space after BIOS splash and a grey window with my primary disk appears.... bootcamp? :D

OK, I will try to do my best.

So, we will take into account that you are in 10.6.4 with Mosslack guide.

PLEASE, for all the files, unzip them when needed ;) .

1) Install Chameleon 2.0 rc5 656 - PLEASE DO NOT REBOOT/LOG OFF .....

P.S.: I boot in 32 bit kernel.

Hi VMonHeros! :P:(:D

!!! had already Mosslack and TiGuy82 guide to 10.6.5 everything's was workin --- took your guide & did exactly what you described - only repaired the copied Meklort boot file by chown 0:0

First sound wasn't working, installed ioAudioFam & AppleHDA by Kextutil, now everything's working on 10.6.6 !!! :D ---- except sleep and wakeup :help:

Thx Mondi

Hi VMonHeros! :shock::wallbash: :wallbash:

!!! had already Mosslack and TiGuy82 guide to 10.6.5 everything's was workin --- took your guide & did exactly what you described - only repaired the copied Meklort boot file by chown 0:0

First sound wasn't working, installed ioAudioFam & AppleHDA by Kextutil, now everything's working on 10.6.6 !!! :D ---- except sleep and wakeup :(

Thx Mondi

Hi, I'm a bit surprise as sleep is working for me! I don't test "deep sleep = hibernate" yet, as I fact I don't want to go to with my SSD disk. Look at the tool SmartSleep (it will install itself in the system preference) and try to change your sleep mode ;).

Hi, I'm a bit surprise as sleep is working for me! I don't test "deep sleep = hibernate" yet, as I fact I don't want to go to with my SSD disk. Look at the tool SmartSleep (it will install itself in the system preference) and try to change your sleep mode :wacko: .

and shutdown isn't working, too !

shutdown doesn't turn off power and wlan.

smartsleep installed and changed sleep modes but doesn't make any diff.

shutdown, sleep not working - restart is working - I've no idea

Another issue: Bluetooth is working, but the hundreds of registered BT connections of an unknown type and different MAC addresses slow down the my BT - mouse connection. Is there a solution?

btw: I didn't choose any option at the first chameleon installation (cham2 rc5 656 - boot only) - what are the other options for, do we need any of them?

thank You Mondial