mosslack

Asus 1201N Installation and support

2,573 posts in this topic

Great, thanks a lot.

I will try it.

With my current LegacyAGPM.kext, I have an issue when wake from sleep:

The GPU clock is always at 486Mhz even if system is idle and I have to wait for a Graphics load (benchmark, flash, etc..) to force AGPM to change GPU frequency.

Do you have also this behavior ?

It seems that GPU reinits clock to higher when wake up and AGPM kext doesn't detect it so doesn't underclock it.

gog

Hi, for the update to 10.6.6 I did it via software update, not combo.

gogetta, please try my LegacyAGPM. I changed some information inside the info.plist. be carefull as your mac model must be to MacBookAir2,1 in your SMBIOS :( (In fact, I try different power saving PLIST, and it is the MacBookAir2,1 that give me the best result with some mix with the MacBookPro5,5 for the GPU). But, no interest for you, just copy my LegacyAGPM in your /E/E and use MacBookAir2,1 as Mac version and it is OK. I've got around 3,5 to 4H of battery now :D.

And yes, GPU clock change works

AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 3 from 3, ControlID = 16

AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 2 from 3, ControlID = 16

AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 1 from 2, ControlID = 16

Auth result for: 00:0f:66:a3:29:d4 MAC AUTH succeeded

AirPort: Link Up on en0

AirPort: RSN handshake complete on en0

AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 2 from 1, ControlID = 16

AGPM: GPU = IGPU G-state set to 3 from 2, ControlID = 16

State 3 is GPU at 300 MHZ (324 for nvclock).

Advertisement
Good work and thanks. May I know that your upgrade is via Software Update or 10.6.6 Combo Update?

Thanks

Someone can help me with a step by step guide for update 10.6.4 to 10.6.6?

Thanks all mates! :(

Followed the wiki guide for going from 10.6.4 > 10.6.5:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...les#EeePC_1201N

Followed the instructions:

Then uninstall SleepEnabler.kext from /Extras/Extensions-folder and run kext-utility BEFORE INSTALLING 10.6.5 update. Install Update, re-install AppleHDA.kext afterwards.

Although I didn't re-install the AppleHDA.kext because it wasn't in my Extras/Extensions folder in the first place.

Restarted and got a kernel panic. What I'm assuming I did wrong was not replacing the kernel after the update was done.

Is there any way of doing this externally, i.e. I've taken the HD out and connected it to another laptop via USB, so can I replace the kernel on a file level?

Or did I do something else wrong?

Ok, I installed the kernel over USB using this:

cd Desktop

cp mach_kernel_atom /

sudo chown 0:0 /mach_kernel_atom

sudo chmod 644 /mach_kernel_atom

sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel_atom

And verified that mach_kernel_atom was there as a hidden file in the root of the HD.

Then I installed Chameleon RC5 (Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r619.zip) to the hard drive connected via USB

Put it back in the laptop and turned on. It got past the initial grey screen and got as far as the Apple logo with the spinning loader underneath, then it has another kernel panic. I know the Apple logo with a spinning loader is the kernel loading stage of startup, so I must have done something wrong with the kexts in Extra.

Any thoughts?

DSDT for mac osx 10.6.5

I corrected :

Added smbus, fixed hpet

1012N_DSDT_10.6.5.zip

Remove NULLCPUPowermenager.kext, sleepenabler.kext, BroadcomUSB270Injector.kext, GraphicsEnabler.

For internal native WLAN card Atheros AR9285 and osx 10.6.5:

Right click on IO80211Family.kext (in /S/L/E/) and select "show package contents"

Open up contents folder

/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros21.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Edit Info.plist

Add <string>pci168c,2b</string> which is underneath IOPCIMatch. Save file.

fix permissions and rebuild kextcaches

Everything works fine

Hello,

I have downloaded your file and everything works on my 1201N with SL 10.6.6 and 2Gb RAM.

Thank you very much! :D

Could you explain how to modify your dsdt file to work with 4Gb RAM please?

Regards

Hi, for the update to 10.6.6 I did it via software update, not combo.

VMonheroes, could you please give step by step instructions how I should proceed to go from an installation made by using Mosslacks guide to match your install instead.

Preferrebly by replacing files with the ones you have already edited.

I'm running 10.6.4 and have 4GB RAM installed.

OK, I will try to do my best.

So, we will take into account that you are in 10.6.4 with Mosslack guide.

PLEASE, for all the files, unzip them when needed :(.

1) Install Chameleon 2.0 rc5 656 - PLEASE DO NOT REBOOT/LOG OFF (we do that to have the last Boot0 and Boot1 files installed via this package). Download it here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1543024 and download the version construct with packagemaker (so the "package version").

2) Copy My Extra folder at the root of your disk (and replace yours). This one contains the needed files (and also the /modules directory of the Meklort Chameleon RC5 r671)

3) Open a terminal

a) cd ..

b ) cd ..

c) ls (to check that you are at the root of your disk)

d) sudo -s (and type your password)

e) rm boot (you delete the Chameleon boot file)

f) copy the boot file I provide here (it is the boot file of Meklort Chameleon RC5 r671)

4) Rebuild all your kext cache with Kext Utility

5) Reboot

You are now with the "last" Chameleon RC5 R671 Meklort branch (so this one patch on the fly the vanilla kernel to be compatible with ATOM - so no need to replace the "default" MacOS Kernel by a modified one like the TeaKernel), with automatic P-States and C-States generation and memory detection. All these parameters are configured in my smbios.plist (that is very simple now :D as we let Chameleon detect memory and processor type etc...) and com.apple.Boot.plist (with SSDT, PStates and CStates).

6) You can now update to 10.6.6 via normal update.

7) Please, rebuild again the Kext Cache... Here I'm not sure if you have not to do that after the 10.6.6 installation reboot :P. However here, please keep an USB mouse with you, as perhaps you will lose your trackpad (keyboard works) and you will have to rebuild cache again.

Normally, audio Kext are not changed by 10.6.6... However, for me, sound is not working after upgrade, so I have to copy these files again in /S/L/E (and rebuild the cache) to have sound again (it was quite strange, I've got everything recognize but no sound...).

Please, correct this quick and dirty installation guide ;).

Again, be careful, the DSDT inside my Extra is for a 4GB computer. If you have a 2GB, no issue. You just have to edit your current DSDT and replace the CPU information like I explained in my previous big post.

I provide you all the needed kext (with the one for network (Atheros) and audio (HDA and IOAudio)=> have to be installed in /S/L/E) in this post, just to consolidate things a bit (it will be easier for everybody).

Sorry if I'm not clear.

And... The Chameleon version of Meklort does not contain Embedded theme. Not an issue for me ;). If you want to see the "disk partition" at boot, you will have to press F8. And I configure my apple.com.Boot.plist to boot immediately MacOS !!!

P.S.: I boot in 32 bit kernel.

boot.zip

AtherosL1cEthernet.kext.zip

AppleHDA.kext.zip

IOAudioFamily.kext.zip

KextUtility.v2.3.2.dmg

Extra.zip

Hello all. I hope I can get some help. I have two small problems.

1. Bluetooth has hundreds of device entries. I can only remove them one at a time. It is a very slow process. How can I fix this.

2. I am using dual boot with Windows 7. The time is always off. Even after setting it and restarting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Great guides.

can somebody tell me how to make a fresh install using 10.6.6 combo update. Lets just say i use mosslack guide and i finished after installed asus 1201n pack files. (If i install 10.6.6 update and reboot i will have a kp and even booting with -x can't help. Please let me know which files do i have to change to make it work...??

@VMonHeros

i installed and updated to 10.6.6 using your guide and files - thank you it solved the bluetooth problem that rocksalt26 is having. however, i am using a 2GB dsdt . i can remove the cpu c states and p states from the dsdt but i am more interested in understanding how to simply change your dsdt from 4Gb to 2Gb so i can compare the two.

can you outline that?

Hi.

I used the DSDT from this post, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1582447. You've got the 2,3 and 4 GB.

I just use this 4 GB and modify it to remove the CStates and PStates as I explained previously ;).

However, in your DSDT, search for SystemMemory.It is if I remind well 2 times, and it is here that the memory size is code if I remind well. However, I'm far away from being a DSDT special ;). I just consolidate all the information I found here ;: (and in the Mini311c thread, thanks to them :)).

2. I am using dual boot with Windows 7. The time is always off. Even after setting it and restarting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Great guides.

I use a program called Localtime-toggle. I have a copy on my MediaFire account, you can download it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?o5n3tmygdh0

Just run the package in OS X and reboot. Once you do that, OS X and Windows will always display the same time. HTH

@VMonHeros

I have followed your guide and am now on 10.6.6.

The only funny thing I notice right away is that when OS X is booting and the dark grey apple appears against the grey background it stops responding. If I push any button on the keyboard the screen flashes and the spinner appears and it starts up as usual. Do you also have this problem? It's kind of annoying as I usually start the Mac first thing I do when I wake up and then fix my breakfast while it's booting so I can just sit and read the news while I prepare for the day. Now if I'm not there it wont boot fully until i press a button.

Hi.

No, I don't need to type anything. Did you use all my files (DSDT, smbios.plist and com.apple.Boot.plist) ?

Because when you are at this step, the kernel is not load yet, you're in Chameleon stage...

Did you try to boot in verbose mode (type F8 at he very beginning, just at the end a the bios post, and after, you will have a screen with the disk boot icon, press tab, you will got to the "command" mode and here type -v as parameters).

P.S.: for you bios config, have you got all "by default". In my case, I disable the Quiet Boot and the Boot Booster. I'm sure it is not link, but I've got a quicker boot with this option (and it's also better to check what's happen).

OK, I will try to do my best.

So, we will take into account that you are in 10.6.4 with Mosslack guide.

PLEASE, for all the files, unzip them when needed ;) .

1) Install Chameleon 2.0 rc5 656 - PLEASE DO NOT REBOOT/LOG OFF (we do that to have the last Boot0 and Boot1 files installed via this package). Download it here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1543024 and download the version construct with packagemaker (so the "package version").

2) Copy My Extra folder at the root of your disk (and replace yours). This one contains the needed files (and also the /modules directory of the Meklort Chameleon RC5 r671)

3) Open a terminal

a) cd ..

b ) cd ..

c) ls (to check that you are at the root of your disk)

d) sudo -s (and type your password)

e) rm boot (you delete the Chameleon boot file)

f) copy the boot file I provide here (it is the boot file of Meklort Chameleon RC5 r671)

4) Rebuild all your kext cache with Kext Utility

5) Reboot

You are now with the "last" Chameleon RC5 R671 Meklort branch (so this one patch on the fly the vanilla kernel to be compatible with ATOM - so no need to replace the "default" MacOS Kernel by a modified one like the TeaKernel), with automatic P-States and C-States generation and memory detection. All these parameters are configured in my smbios.plist (that is very simple now ;) as we let Chameleon detect memory and processor type etc...) and com.apple.Boot.plist (with SSDT, PStates and CStates).

6) You can now update to 10.6.6 via normal update.

7) Please, rebuild again the Kext Cache... Here I'm not sure if you have not to do that after the 10.6.6 installation reboot :P . However here, please keep an USB mouse with you, as perhaps you will lose your trackpad (keyboard works) and you will have to rebuild cache again.

Normally, audio Kext are not changed by 10.6.6... However, for me, sound is not working after upgrade, so I have to copy these files again in /S/L/E (and rebuild the cache) to have sound again (it was quite strange, I've got everything recognize but no sound...).

Please, correct this quick and dirty installation guide ;) .

Again, be careful, the DSDT inside my Extra is for a 4GB computer. If you have a 2GB, no issue. You just have to edit your current DSDT and replace the CPU information like I explained in my previous big post.

I provide you all the needed kext (with the one for network (Atheros) and audio (HDA and IOAudio)=> have to be installed in /S/L/E) in this post, just to consolidate things a bit (it will be easier for everybody).

Sorry if I'm not clear.

And... The Chameleon version of Meklort does not contain Embedded theme. Not an issue for me ;) . If you want to see the "disk partition" at boot, you will have to press F8. And I configure my apple.com.Boot.plist to boot immediately MacOS !!!

P.S.: I boot in 32 bit kernel.

Hi, thank you very much for your guide! :)

Did you try sleepenabler for 10.6.6 with your installation?

Is there a way to make 64 bits mode enabled with this installation?

Regards

Hi.

No, I don't need to type anything. Did you use all my files (DSDT, smbios.plist and com.apple.Boot.plist) ?

Because when you are at this step, the kernel is not load yet, you're in Chameleon stage...

Did you try to boot in verbose mode (type F8 at he very beginning, just at the end a the bios post, and after, you will have a screen with the disk boot icon, press tab, you will got to the "command" mode and here type -v as parameters).

P.S.: for you bios config, have you got all "by default". In my case, I disable the Quiet Boot and the Boot Booster. I'm sure it is not link, but I've got a quicker boot with this option (and it's also better to check what's happen).

I´ve used all your files for the install so that's not it.

I've tried booting with the -v setting and got a clue to why I have to press a button to boot.

This message appears after only a few lines when booting:

Resuming from Encrypted image is unsupported.

Uncheck "Use secure virtual memory" in "Security" pane on system preferences.

Press any key to proceed with normal boot.

I guess this message is why I have to press a button to continue booting even though I don't see it during quiet boot.

The annoying thing is that I keep getting the message even after I've done as it says and turned it off in the security pref pane…

Any ideas?

Edit:

Problem solved! I had an old sleep image laying on the harddrive that was using "secure virtual memory". I just had to remove it to make the system boot as it should :-)

Oh, and what does the "ForceWake" key in com.apple.Boot.plist do?

Never had that setting using mosslacks install-files.

Also is the 1378x768x32 videomode in chameleon supposed to work? Never had any luck with it on my machine and have to run in 1280x720x32 instead.

Hi, thank you very much for your guide! :blowup:

Did you try sleepenabler for 10.6.6 with your installation?

Is there a way to make 64 bits mode enabled with this installation?

Regards

No, I don't try sleepEnabler with this version, sorry.

I don't try 64 bits Kernel, and I don't know if this current version of Meklort Chameleon is able to patch on the fly the kernel when we boot it in 64 bits. I was not the case for the previous version, but I don't test with this one. I will have a look later on that.

Hey I got a problem, my battery indicator doesn't work and just says "not charging".

It's occurs to me also sometimes :rolleyes:. Stop your netbook, remove the electrical plug, remove the battery, and press the start button for 10 seconds. Re-put your battery, and reboot.

Ya that didn't do it and as well the computer doesn't turn off without holding the power button. As well sleeping the computer isn't working, I feel the hard drive stop but all the indicator lights stay on, the same ones on shutdown.

Oh, and what does the "ForceWake" key in com.apple.Boot.plist do?

Never had that setting using mosslacks install-files.

Also is the 1378x768x32 videomode in chameleon supposed to work? Never had any luck with it on my machine and have to run in 1280x720x32 instead.

FoceWake is to avoir the "image too old..." we'd got sometimes at the boot at the kernel. I'm not sure we have always this issue with chameleon RC5. New test to do for me ;).

VideoMode is quite funny. 1366*768*32 is working with the "normal" chameleon RC5 branch (so the one compiled by IPal (ex IFabio). With Meklort one, yes you have to use 1280*720*32 to have the "right" apple size at the boot. Don't ask me why :P.

Ya that didn't do it and as well the computer doesn't turn off without holding the power button. As well sleeping the computer isn't working, I feel the hard drive stop but all the indicator lights stay on, the same ones on shutdown.

Mmmm, bit unclear. Have you reload your bios default ? Did you used all the files I provided you ? I'm not sure I completely understand where you are at present time, English is not my native language :P.

Where is you DSDT coming from ??? It is a really old one :D.

You've got Pstates in your DSDT (it is the _PSS entries at the beginning) and no CStates.

PStates ans CStates are status of the processor (PStates is for SpeedStep that whe ahev not with ATOM 330 as we've got only one processor speed = 1 PState) and CStates are status of the processor for power management ;). All these ones are now automatically feed by Chameleon, it's why we have to remove them from the DSDT (and also explain why I enable PStates and CStates generation in com.apple.Boot.plist with the PState and CState enable option).

To have CStates + graphic card power management will increase your battery life.

However, how many memory have you got ? Mine is 4 GB. There is great chance that the problem is coming from here !

My DSDT is the last one provide by our Russian friend :D. I provide the link in one of my previous thread on how to find them. I just change the processor lines in the DSDT with the DSDT information I provide in my first thread. If you don't arrive to do it, I can help you on that :D.

The link for the DSDT is here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1582447

The change to do is

So in your DSDT.aml, the only information for CPU must be that

Scope (_PR)

{

Processor (CPU0, 0x01, 0x00004010, 0x06)

{

}

Processor (CPU1, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x06)

{

}

Processor (CPU2, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x06)

{

}

Processor (CPU3, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x06)

{

}

}

Scope (\)

That's all :D.

P.S.: use DSDT Editor to edit and compile your DSDT.