mosslack

Asus 1201N Installation and support

2,573 posts in this topic

Did you update the kernel? Don't forget to update the kernel if you want to install chameleon

Ahh ok, that's not so clear in the guide (first install chameleon, next update kernel). I guess I have to do it over again, or is there a by-pass?

Advertisement
Ahh ok, that's not so clear in the guide (first install chameleon, next update kernel). I guess I have to do it over again, or is there a by-pass?

SORRY!!! I just read my post and I checked that I wrote that you can restart after you install Chameleon and is not true (I updated the information)

You really have to install Chameleon, Update the Kernel, Overwrite the files using 64 or 32 bits zip file and only after all these steps you can restart your computer. Sorry! :(

Install Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r619.zip

Yes, just reinstall the audio kext after.

Remove SleepEnabler.kext from /E/E and run Kext Utility FIRST before installing update combo 10.6.5 if you don't want have bad surprise...

Remove SleepEnabler.kext from /E/E and run Kext Utility FIRST before installing update combo 10.6.5 if you don't want have bad surprise...

Yeah, don't forget about that. You can also change the pmVersion line in the Boot.plist file. I believe the version should be 21, but I have not tested this yet. If you get a KP with PM mismatch try booting with pmVersion=0 at the boot prompt, that should disable the sleepenabler.kext. HTH

FYI I am not sure when I will get around to updating the guide, just not enough hours in the day. I will try to get to it ASAP.

Another question:

Has anybody tried mulitple monitors?

If I arrange them side by side, it's ok but if i do mirror of monitors, the 1201N monitor stays black ( I only see the mouse pointer).

Would be really cool if anybody had a suggestion here.

Thanks

Mike

when I use the mirror options the resolution is not good. but if I keep two screen, one on the netbook and one on the monitor then the resolution is perfect on the monitor? is there way to turn off the netbook screen and just use the monitor only?

Thanks,

Luc

when I use the mirror options the resolution is not good. but if I keep two screen, one on the netbook and one on the monitor then the resolution is perfect on the monitor? is there way to turn off the netbook screen and just use the monitor only?

Thanks,

Luc

If your concern is to have the menubar and dock on the larger monitor, there is an app called secondbar which will replicate the menubar's main functions on the external monitor. The developer says he's working to make it fully functional, i think currently menubar icons aren't accesible.

To move the dock, hold shift and click and hold the cursor on the dock's size adjustment bars then drag the dock to where you want it.

confirmed 10.6.5 working by:

removing sleepenabler kext,

run kext utility,

update to 10.6.5,

restart,

reinstall applehda kext

While i am here, just wanted to say i have lost my trackpad. This coincided with applehda cracking a month and a half or so ago. Sometimes the keyboard is lost too but it is the trackpad which is consistently out. I have a bluetooth mouse which i always use, even on the go, so it is not a critical situation for me, but is sad. The last two times i tried reinstalling, to see if a fresh install would fix things, the installer would not let me out of the gate unless i plugged in a mouse.

Could it be as simple as a bad ribbon cable? Reseating it did nothing.

Hello together!

I couldn't find the download link for the 10.6.5 combo update. Do you have any idea?

BR

Cafar

SORRY!!! I just read my post and I checked that I wrote that you can restart after you install Chameleon and is not true (I updated the information)

You really have to install Chameleon, Update the Kernel, Overwrite the files using 64 or 32 bits zip file and only after all these steps you can restart your computer. Sorry! :wacko:

Install Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r619.zip

I forgive you just this time ;)

Everything seems to run smooth now, but I didn't tickle the Asus to the max yet. One thing that I noticed is that Mosslacks method starts up a lot quicker and does not show the whole text-riddle at startup.. but that sure looks interesting for my colleages..

I don't understand why you still use sleepenabler. This can be fixed by DSDT and so works with all kernel versions.

I forgive you just this time :police:

Everything seems to run smooth now, but I didn't tickle the Asus to the max yet. One thing that I noticed is that Mosslacks method starts up a lot quicker and does not show the whole text-riddle at startup.. but that sure looks interesting for my colleages..

You just need to remove the -v on the com.apple.Boot.plist, save the file and replace it again.

For example, on the 64 bits zip file.

Before:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_64 -v</string>

After:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_64</string>

Yeah, don't forget about that. You can also change the pmVersion line in the Boot.plist file. I believe the version should be 21, but I have not tested this yet. If you get a KP with PM mismatch try booting with pmVersion=0 at the boot prompt, that should disable the sleepenabler.kext. HTH

Should sleepenabler.kext go back in aftwards or do I leave it out? It wasn't waking up from sleep anyway, so I'm not too fussed. :police:

Should sleepenabler.kext go back in aftwards or do I leave it out? It wasn't waking up from sleep anyway, so I'm not too fussed. ;)

As much trouble as it causes, I am thinking about leaving it out. I'm presently unable to get my GA-P35-DS3L to work with it at all. Up to you, but if not using sleep then it really isn't necessary. Be sure to run Kext Utility after removing it to refresh the kext cache and then reboot.

I just updated my tutorial to 10.6.5. Don't forget to follow mosslack's tutorial how to install Mac OS! ;) My tutorial is just an alternative for those who are having problems with battery and sound using 2GB of memory.

Updated to 10.6.5 and sleep ain't working. Goes to a black screen but the lights and hardware doesn't respond.

I tried and it's working on mine. (I'm using the files I posted)

Open note to all readers of this thread

As we near 100 pages for this topic, I feel I have gone as far as I can go with this system. I have way too many other things on my agenda these days and I really need a break from overseeing this project. If someone would like to start a new thread that would be great, you can use my guide and/or files and rework them however you please. I will leave the top post as it is for now, but don't expect any updates to it.

If someone needs my help in starting a new thread or for any other reason, I will be around, but not as prominently as I have been. You can PM me if you wish and I will respond when I can. This really has nothing to do with anyone or anything, it's just that I'm tired of it and wish to take an extended break from it. I will try to look in now and then on the new thread if one is created when I can. I wish everyone continued success with the 1201N and hope it will remain useful to those who use it.

For myself, I will continue to use mine when I travel, but for what I do with it, web surfing and email, it can remain as it is and be useful for some time to come. I'm just getting tired of the update game that Apple plays and feel my time can be put to better use.

Goodbye, good luck and be kind to one another.

Just one last message from mosslack...

mosslack,

I'm really sad to know that you are leaving us! :) I never could make my 1201n working with Mac OS if wasn't you!

You made a EXCELENT tutorial and put all the files that all of us need to put the system working!

In my case I was always trying new files to find out what were the most stable, and thanks to this topic I could find the best!

I also did my best here and I think I cannot make better!

( I have more time to reply to the users because I'm unemployed, I hope you don't think I'm "fighting" against you because is NOT true!)

You're the Master!

I tried and it's working on mine. (I'm using the files I posted)

Still doesn't work. The display shuts off but the lights don't turn off. When I hit the spacebar it wakes up and it acts like it just woke up. Screen is locked, reconnects to wifi and AsusHotkeys doesn't work.

mosslack,

I'm really sad to know that you are leaving us! :) I never could make my 1201n working with Mac OS if wasn't you!

You made a EXCELENT tutorial and put all the files that all of us need to put the system working!

In my case I was always trying new files to find out what were the most stable, and thanks to this topic I could find the best!

I also did my best here and I think I cannot make better!

( I have more time to reply to the users because I'm unemployed, I hope you don't think I'm "fighting" against you because is NOT true!)

You're the Master!

Not a problem, in fact I would have preferred to have mine work using your method, but with 4 Gb it just doesn't work. I was hoping maybe you could start a new thread and continue on.

As far as being the master, that is not true, people like you were the innovators and I just put it all together in a neat little package. Alas I just don't have time for it anymore. :)

Still doesn't work. The display shuts off but the lights don't turn off. When I hit the spacebar it wakes up and it acts like it just woke up. Screen is locked, reconnects to wifi and AsusHotkeys doesn't work.

Did you deleted your previous Extra files and put mine and run Kext?

When I put to sleep I have the power button blinking and the "lamp" led blinking too

Not a problem, in fact I would have preferred to have mine work using your method, but with 4 Gb it just doesn't work. I was hoping maybe you could start a new thread and continue on.

As far as being the master, that is not true, people like you were the innovators and I just put it all together in a neat little package. Alas I just don't have time for it anymore. :(

I won't start a new topic. I think I put all I could in this post and I think most of the work was done.