InsanelyMac Forum
mosslack

Asus 1201N Installation and support

Advertisement
Check out site, as referred to by Mosslack as a certain 'Bay' and you'll find it there its a 6.13Gb CD though.

I installed from an original 10.6.2 disc without any problem what so ever. I doubt that the sound issue you seem to be having would happen because of a faulty disc. Have you tried the sound in ubuntu? Download a live version and see if you only have the left channel still. If you do you probably have a faulty headphone jack.

I've installed with this guide

http://groups.google.com/group/hq-a/web/in...1n---usb-10-6-x

and with dvd 10.6.2, its all ok but i'm trying to resolve this problems:

- shutdown and sleep not work, when i press shutdown monitor are off and OS is closed but the netbook rest power on and i must to power off manually.

- Keyboard and mouse sometimes work and sometimes not, at start of OS mouse cursor rest at top-left of screen and not work and i must to restart my netbook, this happens 1/3 of times when I start Snow Leopard.

Please help me!!!

I installed from an original 10.6.2 disc without any problem what so ever. I doubt that the sound issue you seem to be having would happen because of a faulty disc. Have you tried the sound in ubuntu? Download a live version and see if you only have the left channel still. If you do you probably have a faulty headphone jack.

I'll do that when I get home tonight.

Good to have you back, I'm still very stuck on USB issue because its annoying to have to wait for Bluetooth to reconnect after wake. Other than that progress is good, graphics DSDT injection and sleep are working well (In 10.6.4)

The files I posted above do the job for the issues that you have. I have updated to 10.6.4 (from 10.6.3) and the computer sleeps with LID close. The DSDT also removes the requirement for sleepenabler.kext and enables the use of vanilla apple Power Management. all required KEXTS are also provided above. Gogetta is using VoodooPS2 instead of the 4xModified ApplePS@ KEXTS (as per last pack posted by him)

-(waking requires key press, if slept with lid open and lid open wake in DSDT the computer automaticly wakes but does not wake with lid open)

NOTE: Just tried to boot from SDHC card, it comes up in the boot list upon hitting ESC at boot but gives "Boot0: Donea7(pi symbol)(smiley face symbol)". The SDHC Card can be used to boot Linux UBUNTU so it an issue like the USB one previously fixed with the Bootloader. This is far beyond my current knowledge, but atleast we know that the SDHC Slot can be used to boot the PC,

It would be nice to avoid having a USB drive sticking out to test booting from if anyone is capable of making a fix. It would make it possible to play around with mods on the go.

I now have my 1201N updated to 10.6.4 by removing the SleepEnabler.kext. I will have to give your DSDT/files a try to see how well they work. Exactly what changes did you make to the DSDT to eliminate the need for SleepEnabler and allow use of ApplePM?

BTW, I can boot my 1201N fine off the card reader by using Meklort's version of Chameleon. I believe this is the same one used with NetbookBootmaker. As you have no doubt discovered, the USB on this system is very difficult to work with and can cause a lot of problems. It was suggested early on this is a hardware/BIOS problem, so not sure a fix can be found.

I've been doing more reading and as a result I was reminded of the proper method to make use of Meklort's SleepEnabler.kext when doing an OS point update. I believe all that is necessary to do the update to 10.6.4 is to add the following line to the com.apple.Boot.plist file:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>pmVersion=20</string>

This allows Meklort's universal 10.6.x SleepEnabler.kext to work with the newer version. Be sure to make the changes prior to running the update to 10.6.4. FYI, here is a copy of my com.apple.Boot.plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>USBLegacyOff</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>/Extra/dsdt.aml</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,2)</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Hide Partition</key>

<string></string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386 pmVersion=20</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>0</string>

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

As you can see I simply added the necessary pmVersion=20 text to the current line which was already present. Just remember to put a space between the current flag and the new addition.

Have anyone tried to get the original wifi working? What chipset is it really?

I have seen both Realtek 8171 and 8191se mentioned.

This may be stupid but...

If it is the 8171 have anyone tried the driver found here

They mention it working on several Realtek cards and being universal.

It's a Realtek 8191 chipset as far as i know.

It's a Realtek 8191 chipset as far as i know.

I gave it a try. didnt work at all. the realtek software didnt start and no new hardware showed up in the network tab.

The files I posted above do the job for the issues that you have. I have updated to 10.6.4 (from 10.6.3) and the computer sleeps with LID close. The DSDT also removes the requirement for sleepenabler.kext and enables the use of vanilla apple Power Management. all required KEXTS are also provided above. Gogetta is using VoodooPS2 instead of the 4xModified ApplePS@ KEXTS (as per last pack posted by him)

-(waking requires key press, if slept with lid open and lid open wake in DSDT the computer automaticly wakes but does not wake with lid open)

thanks for the stuff..

I'm now on 10.6.4 using your boot, dsdt and smbios. I also removed the sleepenabler.kext

unfortunately, now sleep doesn't work at all anymore. either closing the lid or pressing the sleep button makes the computer freeze on black screen.....do I need a ApplePowerManagement.kext or something?

EDIT:

installed a new sleepenabler.kext....can be found here on InsanelyMac or by Bing

works perfect

also, it always boots in verbose mode now. can I somehow get my normal Apple logo bootscreen back?

Is there an Asus 1201n specific installation guide for Chameleon?

Everything about the dual boot installation is going great, but on this page:

http://groups.google.com/group/hq-a/web/in...ows-7-dual-boot

All it says about installing Chameleon is:

"be sure to install Chameleon choosing the OS X partition as the target before proceeding to the next step."

Is there a simple guide for installing the latest version of Chameleon (RC5?) for dual booting Win7 / OSX on the 1201n?

Hmmm... so it looks like Chameleon RC3 is already installed. Wonder why it asks that you install it as a separate step?

I now have my 1201N updated to 10.6.4 by removing the SleepEnabler.kext. I will have to give your DSDT/files a try to see how well they work. Exactly what changes did you make to the DSDT to eliminate the need for SleepEnabler and allow use of ApplePM?

BTW, I can boot my 1201N fine off the card reader by using Meklort's version of Chameleon. I believe this is the same one used with NetbookBootmaker. As you have no doubt discovered, the USB on this system is very difficult to work with and can cause a lot of problems. It was suggested early on this is a hardware/BIOS problem, so not sure a fix can be found.

As I understand it is the 4Gb DSDT modified for 2Gb, Goggetta posted the first DSDT with sleep and apple power managment enabled. UNINC provided the graphics injection in the bios I posted (gogetta only has different NVCAP, which on my testing made no difference). I'm not sure what other changes gogetta has made although compared to a raw DSDT from 0326 Bios there are quite a few changes, I'm currently inthe process of finding all the difference and separating the to provide an easier way to update when new BIOS is released.

The USB may be BIOS because the same chipset is being run on a Zotac ionitx and they have USB working but their bios allows for setting of ehci handoff ad legecy USB in the bios whereas ours is slimed down.

Also, I noticed on the eeeuser forumn someone has moddified the bios to allow HDD mode to be set to AHCI instead of IDE. Anyone tried?

Question. when prepping the USB, do you use MBR or GUID? Cause in mechdrews guide it says MBR but the guide on this site is GUID. Can someone help.

Question. when prepping the USB, do you use MBR or GUID? Cause in mechdrews guide it says MBR but the guide on this site is GUID. Can someone help.

I used GUID but either will work.

I always use GUID and it works...:D

1. put your SL DVD in your drive and attach the 8GB USB drive that you are going to install from

2. open Disk Utility

3. select your USB drive on the left and then click on the partition option

4. select 1 partition (name as desired), select GUID under options and then hit apply

5. when this is done, select your SL Install DVD on the left and click new image on the top

6. just hit ok and grab a coffee (this took about 40min in my case)

7. after it is done, eject the SL DVD, select the newly created image on the left in Disk Utility and then hit Scan Image for Restore under Images in the menu bar...wait

8. almost there: now select your USB drive, select restore, drag the image in the source and the partition of the USB Drive in destination, check erase destination and hit restore

9. take your dogs for a walk because depending on your flash drive, this can take 30-90min

10. with everything done, quit Disk Utility, fire up NetbookBootMaker and install it on your SL Install USB drive

11. when done, eject the USB drive and start the installation

:rolleyes:

I haven't resolve my problems yet...keyboard and mouse sometimes go and sometimes not, idem for the battery icon, and shutdown and sleep not work...please help me!!! i've tried one milion of solutions but unsuccesfully...uninc tell me to try Gogetta's dsdt.aml but where is this file in this thread??

ps: when I launch the OS with chameleon at start i read "could not patch kernel 64 bit", maybe this error is important for my bugs??

Check out site, as referred to by Mosslack as a certain 'Bay' and you'll find it there its a 6.13Gb CD though.

where is this?

allright, so I did another reinstall last night since I {censored}ed up my previous one.

I did all the steps of the guide and now everything is working, except sleep. when I close the lid or press the sleep button on the keyboard, the screen goes black, but the fan keeps running and there's no way to wake the machine again. even shutting it off doesnt do anything. I need to remove the battery for it to boot properly again.

anyone got an idea what might cause this? I have 4 gb ram installed, maybe the 4gb dsdt is the problem?

and also, the sound issue I had is hardware related. had the same mono sound in linux. but I figured out, if I pull out the headphone just a little bit I get stereo sound. but I'll try to exchange my machine next week when I'm back from my business trip.

also, the touchpad gives me a bit of a headache. coming from a dell mini 10v with the mini 10 multitouch pad modded into, the asus touchpad is a pain in the rear end. especially two finger scrolling and clicking is very unstable. what I dont get, the pad is supposed the be a multitouch trackpad. why is the driver not using that feature? in the settings you can clearly see that the multifinger detection is done by the pressure and not the multifinger detection. I can get two finger scrolling with just one finger by pressing hard enough.

maybe someone can talk to meklort about this? if the trackpad detects multifingers and gives a value for this, we should look into implementing that in the driver.

I know the touchpad in the mini 10v does provide multifinger values to the driver and I'm pretty sure the asus one should as well. in windows 7 the driver offered multitouch support. and everything worked just fine without any hick ups.

I see there are still those trying to install using a later retail DVD. Please be advised that my guide ONLY works with the 10.6.0 retail DVD. I will have to do some mods to make it work with newer ones and I have not had any time to do such as of yet.

This is not the case, the guide worked perfectly with the 10.6.2 retail DVD, so I don't think there is any need to make any adjustments.

Just out of interest, what battery life do most of you guys get in OS X?

Shutdown not working yet, i've tried also with gogetta dsdt but nothing.

For most detail for install i've used usb drive with leopard 10.6.2, next i've execute "1201N installer package v3", next i've run kext utility and finally i've install 10.6.3 update combo. But shutdown doesn't work.

Now i've tried with dsdt of gogetta plus an archive of this thread with all this files:

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

ApplePS2Mouse.kext

ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

AsusHotkeys.kext

CPUIDOverride.kext

CPUIDSymbols.kext

fakesmc.kext

OSXRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

I've missed some files?? i must to erease some files of these?? There is some to make in System/Library/Extension to makw shutdown work?? Please i'm desperate...

PS: I have 325 bios version...i don't know if its important...

thanks for the stuff..

I'm now on 10.6.4 using your boot, dsdt and smbios. I also removed the sleepenabler.kext

unfortunately, now sleep doesn't work at all anymore. either closing the lid or pressing the sleep button makes the computer freeze on black screen.....do I need a ApplePowerManagement.kext or something?

EDIT:

installed a new sleepenabler.kext....can be found here on InsanelyMac or by Bing

works perfect

also, it always boots in verbose mode now. can I somehow get my normal Apple logo bootscreen back?

nice, my boot.plist have -v in it so I can see what's going on during boot without keypresses, just remove that.

It's odd that Gogeeta and I can get Sleep working with Vanilla management and without SleepEnabler but others seems to fail? I'm not using VoodooHDA which I know caused issues in the past.

Hi

Just Update to 10.6.4 and no problem. Everything works like 10.6.3, except a KP with VoodooHDA when loaded on init.

I have to load it after startup.

Any good news on USB removal problem ? :(

I also tried to compare with my mbp ioreg but no news.

nice, my boot.plist have -v in it so I can see what's going on during boot without keypresses, just remove that.

It's odd that Gogeeta and I can get Sleep working with Vanilla management and without SleepEnabler but others seems to fail? I'm not using VoodooHDA which I know caused issues in the past.

well, I'm also using VoodooPS2 because I think it works better. seems that not every install is the same....

I haven't resolve my problems yet...keyboard and mouse sometimes go and sometimes not, idem for the battery icon, and shutdown and sleep not work...please help me!!! i've tried one milion of solutions but unsuccesfully...uninc tell me to try Gogetta's dsdt.aml but where is this file in this thread??

ps: when I launch the OS with chameleon at start i read "could not patch kernel 64 bit", maybe this error is important for my bugs??

No, this is absolutely normal and not important. This guide and method of install has worked without fail for a lot of people so if you are having problems you did something wrong or there is a problem with your computer.

allright, so I just stumbled across something interesting. I was wondering what keeps breaking my sleep. I finally figured it out.

I install with 2GB ram installed, follow all the steps in the guide and when I'm done sleep is working fine. when I close the lid, the system sleeps, and pressing a key, wakes it up again.

But as soon as I install the 4GB DSDT file and upgrade to my 4GB of ram, sleep stops working. When I close the lid, the display goes black, fan keeps running and there's no way to wake the machine again.

So now I put my 2GB ram back in there, replaced the DSDT with the original and guess what? Sleep is still broken....

Can someone with 4GB confirm that sleep is working for them?

Any suggestions how I can fix the sleep issue? Either repair it with the 2GB or even better, get it running with 4GB installed.

Cheers,

Johnydoe