InsanelyMac Forum
  • Announcements

• Allan

Solution to create a topic or post.   04/24/2018

Hello guys. The majority of you are having issues to create a topic or post here. This are a problem with our current theme InsanelyMac.  Now the theme will be the Default IPS. Sorry for any inconvenience.
mosslack

Asus 1201N Installation and support

You need to use Kext Utility to install the VoodooHDA.kext as it goes in the /S/L/E folder instead of /E/E.

Pressing any key at the Chameleon screen will stop the process and allow you to choose another hard drive to boot from or boot options. amf5 will need to respond to why it is better. You can click on the link in the guide and it will take you to the Tea blog, maybe you can get some insight there. HTH

Does the Tea Kernel work with 64-bit? Can a 64-bit entry be added in the how to?

Yes, AFAIK it does allow the 64 bit mode to be used. Again, maybe amf5 can tell you more about this as I prefer to remain in 32 bit mode.

Well, of course the camera is no where to be found, but I did follow the link in the guide. They are almost identical in the procedure.

The Only difference really that instead of having to remove the system board to get to the Wifi Module, its is actully right in front of you once you take off the top chassis. On the bottom right you will see a tape holding a wide cable in place. If you lift that tape and disconnect the cable, the wifi module is right there. it's held in by 1 screw. I replaced it with the Dell card and I connected the wire that was connected to the old wifi module on the right side of the Dell card where the BLACK arrow is pointing.

Of course I tried and broke the warrenty sticker. Oh well

I also got to finally listen to the audio at a decent level, now I understand by what you guys meant by all the static. Wow.

Good info, hopefully someone will take some pictures of the insides, the ones that were on the old thread are not there anymore. I will do so when I get my card, but I don't want to open 'er up until then.

Advertisement

Okay thanks for the reply. I know that 1201N benefits in Ubuntu from 64-bit a lot, but I'm not sure about mac OS X's "true" 64-bit-ness, they've muddled the entire system I feel.

Yeah, sound works in Ubuntu also, wish it worked that well in Snow Leopard.

Has anyone successfully setup a Chameleon dual boot system (Snow/Win7) using the restore DVD which comes with the 1201N? I know this is possible using EasyBCD, but I would like to be able to do it using Chameleon as the bootloader. The problem I run into is not being able to fix the Windows boot partition after installing Chameleon. There doesn't appear to be anyway to do this using the restore DVD. Any ideas?

i'll probably buy my 1201n in a few hours

does somebody could tell me what works, and what doesn't under snow leo.

wifi problem solve? or should i buy another card.

sound ?

thanks .

i'll probably buy my 1201n in a few hours

does somebody could tell me what works, and what doesn't under snow leo.

wifi problem solve? or should i buy another card.

sound ?

thanks .

Not to be an ass but did you even read the first post?

There's no repair system in the restore DVD? :(

Try booting an Ubuntu live CD or USB, maybe you can fix the partition using fdisk or gparted?

I thought about using gparted and that would work to allow for setting partitions active and what not, but I still would need to repair the boot sectors of the Windows partition so it would be bootable from Chameleon. That is the big problem.

I thought about using gparted and that would work to allow for setting partitions active and what not, but I still would need to repair the boot sectors of the Windows partition so it would be bootable from Chameleon. That is the big problem.

I can borrow a Windows 7 DVD, I heard that a Vista DVD will fix the drive as well. Those are the only options I can see that are legal. As well any triple boot system is dependant on repairing the drives I see after reading some guides.

Have you tried to do this yet? I successfully used the restore DVD to restore to the 2nd partition on my hard drive and then used my Windows 7 Ultimate DVD to make the repair. Mine is working great this way. I would like to know if the restore will work okay once the wlan card is changed to the 1510 as some restore apps balk when the hardware has changed. I did notice a checklist which one might be able to uncheck the wlan driver install but I never tried it.

And yes, I'm sure the Vista DVD would also work to repair the boot sector.

Bummer, I have the problem solved with the restore DVD. An HQ-A lister has posted a bootable image of the Win 7 boot only files which works great to fix the partitions. If he doesn't want me to post the link I will upload it to my MediaFire account. I have already tried it out and it works great.

While I'm at it, has anyone used the Asus online storage? This might be a good place to put such utilities as it is about 250 Mb.

Pressing any key at the Chameleon screen will stop the process and allow you to choose another hard drive to boot from or boot options. amf5 will need to respond to why it is better. You can click on the link in the guide and it will take you to the Tea blog, maybe you can get some insight there. HTH

Yes, AFAIK it does allow the 64 bit mode to be used. Again, maybe amf5 can tell you more about this as I prefer to remain in 32 bit mode.

Verbose boot isn't better or worse than booting with the graphical loader unless you're looking out for errors in the boot process (as I was). Since I didn't really plan on a whole bunch of people using my kext folder I didn't take it out of my com.apple.Boot.plist - it's harmless and you can remove the "-v" under boot flags if you'd like.

As far as 64-bit goes, to expand on a post I made in the other thread: there is absolutely no reason to run the x86_64 kernel on this machine. Zero. None. Most actual Macs can not boot the x86_64 kernel, and there is absolutely no benefit of doing so unless you need a single application to access over 16 TB of RAM. Most processes under the Tea kernel that's been patched for Atom 330 (the one I linked in the other thread - available here) run in 64-bit mode already (go into /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor if you don't believe me), and as a side benefit you do not need to use kernel extensions that are compiled for 64-bit; there's simply no reason to do so.

Really, it's not like I'm trying to shortchange you guys or anything here, there's just simply no reason to run the x86_64 kernel on this machine.

At all.

To reiterate: 2z6ugxe.png

To those who want to dual boot Windows 7 using the restore DVD which came with the 1201N, I am presently uploading an ISO image of the Windows 7 boot files. This image can be used to repair the Windows boot partition in conjunction with the dual boot guide I have posted here. This image is rather large (160 Mb), so it will take some time to upload to my MediaFire account. If you already have a Vista install DVD, it can be used for this purpose also. When the upload is complete, I will post a link to it within the guide as well as here.

I know amf5 said the HDMI out works, at least for video, but I can't remember if the VGA out does or not. Will have to pour through the old thread one more time.

@ucjuicy: You posted in the old thread that you had external monitors going, was this via the VGA port or HDMI? I need the info for the top post. Thanks

Also has anyone tested the HDMI audio out without VoodooHDA installed?

I know amf5 said the HDMI out works, at least for video, but I can't remember if the VGA out does or not. Will have to pour through the old thread one more time.

@ucjuicy: You posted in the old thread that you had external monitors going, was this via the VGA port or HDMI? I need the info for the top post. Thanks

Also has anyone tested the HDMI audio out without VoodooHDA installed?

I just tested out the VGA port and looks like it works. When I clicked on mirror displays thought the netbook screen went grey, you could still see the mouse cursor though. The monitor became the main display.

Hello, I'm interested by this netbook, but bad sound quality could become a very annoying problem for me. Is the sound correct using speaker ? Any hope we can find a solution ?

thinks

The onboard sound can be annoying if you are using it to play music or use some other sound oriented app. But I find that true of most small speakered equipped laptops or netbooks. IOW, for playing music, I have a set of USB powered speakers which sound very nice. You can also use many of the small inexpensive USB sound dongles which allow you to plug in standard powered stereo speakers.

The bottom line is for common desktop sounds the quality of the current setup is acceptable, but if you are going to listen to music, no netbook sound is really that good, especially this one.

I just tested out the VGA port and looks like it works. When I clicked on mirror displays thought the netbook screen went grey, you could still see the mouse cursor though. The monitor became the main display.

VGA - work (sometimes I use my NEC 1770GX as second monitor)

And Fn+F8 work for select monitors combination as in windows.

Top post changed to reflect this info, thanks guys!

Just to let people know, you can replace the wireless card with the dell 1510 and then do the dual boot osx86/win7 setup using the asus recovery cd. As stated above you do need a regular copy of window 7 or vista in order to make the corrections for it to boot.

Question to anybody that has any ideas. I'm still having problems with my keyboard and trackpad. I currently have my system updated to 10.6.2 using the teatimer kernel and amf5's /extra folder. Next step will be to install efi 10.5 but may not do that right away. One thing I have noticed is that I can sometimes get the keyboard working however the moment the trackpad is touched it will kill the functionality of both. If I can keep the keyboard going I might just disconnect the trackpad and get a bluetooth mouse as this would be acceptable but i would prefer to have both working just for the sake that it's there.

Not only does VGA work, but hot swapping moitors works for sure too.

I had know the external monitor was working early on, but it would only work when the extra monitor was plugged in at boot up.

Just plugged one in after being booted for eight hours and worked instantly.

Just to let people know, you can replace the wireless card with the dell 1510 and then do the dual boot osx86/win7 setup using the asus recovery cd. As stated above you do need a regular copy of window 7 or vista in order to make the corrections for it to boot.

Question to anybody that has any ideas. I'm still having problems with my keyboard and trackpad. I currently have my system updated to 10.6.2 using the teatimer kernel and amf5's /extra folder. Next step will be to install efi 10.5 but may not do that right away. One thing I have noticed is that I can sometimes get the keyboard working however the moment the trackpad is touched it will kill the functionality of both. If I can keep the keyboard going I might just disconnect the trackpad and get a bluetooth mouse as this would be acceptable but i would prefer to have both working just for the sake that it's there.

I assume everything works correctly in Windows? Just curious