mosslack

Asus 1201N Installation and support

2,573 posts in this topic

How did you install AppleHDA.kext? Also is there a dsdt.aml file in your extra folder?

I removed voodooHDA kext, and then used kext utility to install appleHDA and also IOAudioFamily.

But after a reboot no sound, so i re-installed voodooHDA.

Yes, i have a dsdt.aml in extra folder, i post you mine :blink:

it's here: dsdt.aml

Advertisement
I removed voodooHDA kext, and then used kext utility to install appleHDA and also IOAudioFamily.

But after a reboot no sound, so i re-installed voodooHDA.

Yes, i have a dsdt.aml in extra folder, i post you mine :)

it's here: dsdt.aml

Mine works fine:

AppleHAD.kext v1.7.9a4

IOAudioFamily v1.7.2

Mine works fine:

AppleHAD.kext v1.7.9a4

IOAudioFamily v1.7.2

Can you tell me where you have take this kext please?

thank you!

Just a quick note to everyone, I am back among the living, at least partly. It seems like forever since I logged onto this thread, but I am now somewhat able to get on and at least view the content here. I will try to get back into the discussions soon and I look forward to updating my 1201n to 10.7.

Hi All,

I installed OSX on my 1201N with the original HD. When I upgraded to a new 750gig drive I get a boot0 error, which I can't seem to get by. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this issue or has had a similar problem.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I installed OSX on my 1201N with the original HD. When I upgraded to a new 750gig drive I get a boot0 error, which I can't seem to get by. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this issue or has had a similar problem.

Thanks!

Is the new disk a 4K sector disk ?. If yes, then Chameleon has problems booting on 4k sector harddrives.

This issue is currently being worked on.

Please see the bug for more info.

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/129/

Workarounds:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/...63.html#msg9763

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1740914

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the wonder devs here in figuring out how to get OSX on our 1201N's. I have a couple of questions and would like to know if anyone is able to help me answer.

I originally followed mosslack/vmonheros's method and got up to 10.6.7 on my 4GB 1201N before switching over to Lion. However, because of some battery and sleep issues I want to go back to Snow, but now for reasons I can't explain, the old method would result in a KP before installation is complete, so I thought that it might be nice to try the new guide in getting 10.6.8 installed.

But in the new method, am I allowed to turn bluetooth on/off?

Also, is sleep fully working? Can I disable hibernation?

TIA!

Hi all,

Re: Bluetooth not showing up in 10.6.6.

Hi, I have followed Mosslack's Asus guide and VMonHeros' instructions (using a combo update) to get to 10.6.6.

However, I cannot find bluetooth anywhere. Under System Profiler, it says "No information found."

I do not have a bluetooth preference pane in system preferences and I do not have any icons on the menu bar.

I installed BroadcomUSB270injector.kext via Kextutility.

Can someone please help me troubleshoot this.

Thank you.

Hi All,

Couple questions.

First can anyone recommend a HD that I can upgrade to without getting the 4K sector problem? I am looking for a drive 500G or larger to dual boot windows XP and OSX.

Secondly can anyone point me in the right direction for a dual boot guide with windows XP and OSX? I read the windows 7 guide and tried it basically with the XP cd using the win 7 dvd to use diskpart but I get the error file not installed when I try to reboot windows. My OSX partition is running correctly and the boot loader appears to be working as well. Just XP is having an issue.

Thanks!

Hi All,

Couple questions.

First can anyone recommend a HD that I can upgrade to without getting the 4K sector problem? I am looking for a drive 500G or larger to dual boot windows XP and OSX.

Secondly can anyone point me in the right direction for a dual boot guide with windows XP and OSX? I read the windows 7 guide and tried it basically with the XP cd using the win 7 dvd to use diskpart but I get the error file not installed when I try to reboot windows. My OSX partition is running correctly and the boot loader appears to be working as well. Just XP is having an issue.

Thanks!

Seagate 500GB HDD should work fine. Most of the WD HDD are now 4k sector drives. The newer HDD greater than 500GB are 4k sector drives.

You will see that error because windows expects, a unique 32bit signature 0xAA55h after 440bytes of the first sector(0-512bytes) (sometimes called the MBR's Magic number). If you overwrite this 4 bytes, windows will not boot. Go through the following link for more info on what windows expects on the first sector of the disk. Just need to be cautious while writing Chameleon boot0 (512bytes) into MBR.

http://thestarman.pcministry.com/asm/mbr/W7MBR.htm#CHS

Cause:

The default fdisk overwrites this MBR magic number. Windows does not find this magic number and hence cannot boot into windows.

Fix:

Use Chameleon fdisk440 instead of standard OSX fdisk and boot0hfs instead of boot0.

sudo ./fdisk440 -f boot0hfs -u -y /dev/rdisk0

Afterwards, change the active partition to windows partition. Boot through windows media (CD/DVD) and restore windows. Once it is done, change the active partition back to OSX using diskpart.

I am having a serious issue with my 1201n randomly freezing. I followed the install guide up through VMHeroes portion and updated to 10.6.7. Everything worked fine in 10.6.4, with no freezes or hangs, however, once I update to 10.6.6 (and 10.6.7) , the computer will freeze randomly. The keyboard and mouse stop responding and I have to reboot the computer. I am not sure the cause of this and I need some help fixing it. I need to have a minimum for 10.6.6 for some applications and I can't stand the 1201n freezing all the time and losing data (read: class notes)

Help! Please tell me what information you need from me to help diagnose this problem.

I am using the 4 GB DSDT from the VMHeroes files, the 326 BIOS, and an Atheros Wifi card (works fine)

Here is a copy of my Extra Folder:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EGTGLRLZ

Please Help! I really don't want to do another reinstall to 10.6.4.... again...

-George

PLEASE HELP! I've replaced my old /Extra/ folder and mach_kernel_atom with the new ones and now i'm in this endless boot loop. I've booted using -x -v cpus=1 arch=i386 but non of them work! I don't even get an error reading, just restarts. Someone please help :) all my courseworks on there:(

PLEASE HELP! I've replaced my old /Extra/ folder and mach_kernel_atom with the new ones and now i'm in this endless boot loop. I've booted using -x -v cpus=1 arch=i386 but non of them work! I don't even get an error reading, just restarts. Someone please help :) all my courseworks on there:(

Have you tried booting in 64-bit mode? arch=x86_64 npci=0x2000

Have you tried booting in 64-bit mode? arch=x86_64 npci=0x2000

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i've tried that one also but it doesn't work :( i'm completely stumped.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i've tried that one also but it doesn't work :( i'm completely stumped.

Could not having nullcpumanagment.kex in the extra folder cause a boot loop?

it would of helped if i wasn't using the 10.6.8 files wouldn't it! gonna give the 10.7 files a go and hopefully without any hiccups :)

it would of helped if i wasn't using the 10.6.8 files wouldn't it! gonna give the 10.7 files a go and hopefully without any hiccups :)

STILL LOOPING! WHATS GOING ON!!!!!!

I've tried every combination i can. I've kept my old atom kernel and used the new /extra/ folder. i've used the new atom kernel and old /extra/ folder. i've used the new atom kernel and new /extra/ folder. All failed! I just want sleep to work!!!!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i've tried that one also but it doesn't work :) i'm completely stumped.

I've tried every combination i can. I've kept my old atom kernel and used the new /extra/ folder. i've used the new atom kernel and old /extra/ folder. i've used the new atom kernel and new /extra/ folder. All failed! I just want sleep to work!!!!!

Any suggestions?

I narrowed it down to not having nullcpumanagment.kext in the /extra/ folder. WTF. I can't get sleep working without getting rid of that can I?

Just a quick note to everyone, I am back among the living, at least partly. It seems like forever since I logged onto this thread, but I am now somewhat able to get on and at least view the content here. I will try to get back into the discussions soon and I look forward to updating my 1201n to 10.7.

Hi welcome back

---------------Things that aren't working------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. sleep, lid sleep (if using usb mouse sleep won't work)

hi, has anyone come to any conclusion with this USB-no sleep issue?

i use USB mouse, and it's annoying to remember to remove the nanotransmitter every time.... I will loose it eventually..

thanks for help!

other than that - GREAT WORK. i used to work on 10.6.5 on NC10 with tea-made image, but 1201n is so much more speedy.

also, what battery life do you get on your 1201n 10.6.8? and CPU temp?

thanks!

FYI, Prasys is supposed to be writing a guide on how to install Lion on 32 bit netbooks. You can find more info here:

http://prasys.info/2011/09/osx-projects/

To my way of thinking, Lion should be able to run in 64 bit on the 1201N. Once he releases the guide I may give it a shot, minus the 32 bit hacks, to see if it will run or not. I will post my results once I have some to post. ;)

Guys,

I need a hand. Please provide me the terminal commands in copying mach_kernel from installer to newly installed snow leopard system disk under installation window.

scene: snow leopard installation window, open terminal to copy(replace) my mach_kernel from the installer to newly installed snow leopard system disk.

Thanks.

I used to work on 10.6.5 on NC10 with tea-made image,

after few days of working on newly installed 10.6.8 on 120n I must admit that tea's 10.6.5 image for NC10 was much more "polished" in terms of power management, ie:

- sleep was working with usb plugged in

- brightness automatically was decreased if AC unplugged, or even after some time of inactivity (on AC) the display dimmed automatically, once you move mouse or touch keyboard it was back to full brightness

- suppose the speedstep was also working correct, as the cpu fans were not working all the time

and what it means in TOTAL = more battery life..., I got 5h with brightness 50%, and wifi working on my old NC10

now my question - maybe there is possibility to utilise some kexts from tea's image in order to implement them to 1201n? I'm not an expert in this area, so maybe someone could give a hint, I can provide kexts from 10.6.5 tea's image.

thanks

Guys,

I need a hand. Please provide me the terminal commands in copying mach_kernel from installer to newly installed snow leopard system disk under installation window.

just copy the mach_kernel file with finder, no biggie.

Hello,

first of all thanks for the great guides all over the forums :)

They persuaded me to buy a new netbook just to try them :P

I managed to install 10.6.8 using crazyjuice guide with a new fresh Full Install..

After i copied (step16 of the guide) the dsdt.aml file (3gb) over my /Extra folder, deleting first the already existing one, i rebooted the netbook and from that time I'm in an endless boot loop..

I get to the Apple logo and it starts loading, but after 30seconds there's a small image over the Apple and it keeps loading for hours without starting...

The only problem I had before doing that step was the Battery icon which said (No Charging).. but beside that everything was working.

Also booting with -v the system says

AppleACPIBatteryDevice Error: Permanent Battery Failure (0)

AppleACPIBatteryDevice Error: Permanent Battery Failure (0)

and keeps saying so every 20 secs or so...

anyone can help??

I noticed that in the install files provided the 3gb dsdt.aml icon is different from the 4gb and 2gb ones... maybe is that??

Also is it possible to get the previous dsdt.aml file or my only chance is doing another install??

Thanks for your help! :D

What version of snow has the battery indicator working? I'm presently at 10.6.4 and everything is perfect except the battery meter. Any suggestions. Thanks everyone