Why the Hybrid DVDs?

7 posts in this topic

This may seem like a silly and useless question, but what exactly is the point of having a Hybrid ISO/HFS DVD? This just makes things more complicated to work with, as there is no decent image editing program in Windows that can create bootable Hybrid CD images. Also, it appears to me that the ISO / HFS portions of say the Apple Darwin install CD are the same, but if I extract only the ISO portion and attempt to boot it up in VMWare, I get a kernel stack fault error. So why?

This may seem like a silly and useless question, but what exactly is the point of having a Hybrid ISO/HFS DVD? This just makes things more complicated to work with, as there is no decent image editing program in Windows that can create bootable Hybrid CD images. Also, it appears to me that the ISO / HFS portions of say the Apple Darwin install CD are the same, but if I extract only the ISO portion and attempt to boot it up in VMWare, I get a kernel stack fault error. So why?

HFS used file metadata that ISO can't save. In that case, it's more of a wonder why they use ISO at all, aside from maintaining the compatibility in case you need a file off of the disc with a PC or whatever.

I see. Thanks, that seems to make sense now, though I am still very annoyed by the fact that there is no tool for windows which lets you build a hybrid project thats bootable.

Don't Mac drive, utlra iso and TransMac do it?

OK Macdrive only read and writes to hard disk but other other two.

Free30

Ultra ISO is great...for opening and extracting because it is read-only with hybird isos.

As for TransMac, it edits hybrid isos, I need something that could make one. If only UltraISO would get read write ability.