Clarifying concepts & methods

skysea76

7 posts in this topic

First of all, I didn't know where to post this, so move it if necessary.

As the description says, in a week or two I'll receive my build (core i7 920 + Asrock x58 Extreme), but wan't to clear up various questions so that when I get to it, I know what to do and get a good install the first try (or at least not the 20th).

To make this easy, I'll make a list where I'll try to define each thing, you tell me if I'm right or wrong, comment, give links to explanations or anything you want!

Kext: files that the OS X kernel loads on startup and -usually- serve the function of drivers. The ones present in OS X only are for Apple made hardware, so additional ones must be added for hardware to work. Some common one is DSDT overrides.

ACPI: Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. It's a standard which consists of the way the EFI or BIOS hand over info on hardware to the OS. Thing is, Apple uses their own standard, so a regular BIOSs ACPI does not play well with OS X. To fix this, a kext is used in a pre-osx boot stage.

DSDT: Differentiated System Description Table. It's the actual info that ACPI supplies. Many times, this is what must be modified for OS X.

Boot-loader: A OS that acts as an extension to the BIOS since it has much higher booting capabilities, like selecting the partition on a drive, detecting the OS installed, etc.

EFI emulator: usually combined into the boot-loader. OS X excepts the hardware info from EFI to contain the right info (like graphics strings) -in the DSDT?- but since most PCs are BIOS based, and their hardware does not contain the correct identification for EFI usage, the info EFI supplies to mac must be generated by an emulator. An alternative to this is inserting the strings directly into the apple.boot.plist, which can be usually found both on mac and on the emulator. It is preferable to use the emulator one, since mac becomes more vanilla-ish like that.

Boot 132. I haven't found out exactly what this is yet, and haven't seen any good explanations.

Empire EFI: somehow related to boot 132

Patched kernel: necessary to run OS X on a processor it doesn't support out of the box, for example AMDs or SSE2s.

EFI partition: a partition defined by the EFI standard as "a place to store stuff for the EFI". On mac's it is almost never used. It is possible and a very good option to install the boot-loader and EFI emulator on this partition, since then the rest can be reformatted, moved, deleted, OS changed, etc without effecting the boot ability of the comp (or OS X). What this translates to is less gunk on the actual OS X install, meaning more vanilla.

Speedsteping: Intel's method for changing the processor clock dynamically according to the workload. For this to work, it must be in the patched DSDT.

System Management Controller (SMC): controls fans & power on Intel macs. Needs an emulator like fakesmc.kext

Platform UUID (Universally Unique Identifier): a unique number for each mac that must be generated by an EFI emulator?

That's all I can think of now. So just to make sure, the most vanilla setup would be using boot 132 (or so I've heard). ¿So what is boot 132? ¿do need to use it just to install then put a boot-loader on my EFi partition? ¿how do I do that?

And if I want any kexts, ¿where should I put them? ¿on the EFI partition in /Extras or something so that the EFI emulator loads them or on the OS X partition in /System/Library/Extensions ?

Thanks for your bering of my neewb posts.

EDIT: I've been calling boot 132 boot 123 for some reason, that's probably why I haven't found much about it.

Edited by adrian95

Some more stuff:

Wouldn't it be the best to just install PC EFI to the EFI partition and use that to boot the install disc, install, and boot later?

Additionally, what things can I use instead of kexts in PC EFI? I know graphics enabler for example, it replaces EFI strings and has to be in the apple.boot.plist (does this one go in /Extras ?). Should I use that or EFI strings?

After some more research it seems that the cleanest way to dos stuff is using a custom DSDT that identifies the graphics card to OS X. In essence, this would mean that for OS X it's exactly the same as if it where using EFI, since the GPU info is in the DSDT. Now, how would I create a modified DSDT? I hear there are utilities for this, but since they compile for that specific hardware, I would need to do a crappy install of iAtkos or something to generate the DSDT and then start the drive out from 0 (repartition completely) and do a good install with the PC EFI (ore chameleon, differences?) and use the custom DSDT. Additionally, I have heard that with the new releases of chameleon and PC EFI PlatformUUID.kext is not needed any more (that adding:

<key>SystemID</key>

<string>UUIDFROMDISKUTIL</string>

does the trick), any other one of the following kexts (which I was planning on using) I can replace with DSDT:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

fakesmc.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

RealtekR1000SL.kext

Ideally, can someone hook me up with the best DSDT for this motherboard? I don't care if I have to edit the video part (how would I do this?), or just use graphics enabler or EFI strings, as long as it fixes other stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Some more stuff:

Wouldn't it be the best to just install PC EFI to the EFI partition and use that to boot the install disc, install, and boot later?

Additionally, what things can I use instead of kexts in PC EFI? I know graphics enabler for example, it replaces EFI strings and has to be in the apple.boot.plist (does this one go in /Extras ?). Should I use that or EFI strings?

After some more research it seems that the cleanest way to dos stuff is using a custom DSDT that identifies the graphics card to OS X. In essence, this would mean that for OS X it's exactly the same as if it where using EFI, since the GPU info is in the DSDT. Now, how would I create a modified DSDT? I hear there are utilities for this, but since they compile for that specific hardware, I would need to do a crappy install of iAtkos or something to generate the DSDT and then start the drive out from 0 (repartition completely) and do a good install with the PC EFI (ore chameleon, differences?) and use the custom DSDT. Additionally, I have heard that with the new releases of chameleon and PC EFI PlatformUUID.kext is not needed any more (that adding:

<key>SystemID</key>

<string>UUIDFROMDISKUTIL</string>

does the trick), any other one of the following kexts (which I was planning on using) I can replace with DSDT:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

fakesmc.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

RealtekR1000SL.kext

Ideally, can someone hook me up with the best DSDT for this motherboard? I don't care if I have to edit the video part (how would I do this?), or just use graphics enabler or EFI strings, as long as it fixes other stuff.

All your answers for your particular configuration can be found in a post Here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1316263

NJoy!

Regards,

Freaky Chokra