ASUS P6TD-Deluxe Snow Leopard 10.6

Roswell_r

19 posts in this topic

This guide is based on a guide written by wizard for a similar mainboard made by ASUS which can be found here (for reference sake). However this guide is for installing 10.6(a432) on the ASUS P6TD-Deluxe.

Files for this guide can be downloaded here: P6TD-Deluxe Package

Warning: To prevent confusion, this board is the P6TD-Deluxe and is not the same as a P6T Deluxe v1/v2.

Hardware Used:

ASUS P6TD-Deluxe (BIOS rev: 0209 )

Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67 Ghz

3 x 2GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 Triple Channel

ASUS nVidia GTX 260

This guide requires an existing Leopard/Snow installation either on the same machine or another. What this means is:

1. If you're lucky and have a friend with a Mac that can plug your SATA drive in for you and do a installation from their Leopard/Snow install then you only need 1 drive.

2. If you already have a machine with Leopard installed then you need 1 spare drive to install SL to.

3. If you don't have a machine running with Leopard then you will need 2 spare drives, first to install Leopard on another system or the P6TD-Deluxe (if you can get it running, don't ask me how, I had a spare P5B machine which I had 10.5.8 on) and the second drive to then install SL to.

Preparation

If you know what you are doing then you need to partition the drive you wish to install SL on as 1 partition named 'Snow' or w/e, MACOS Extended (journaled) with a GUID scheme.

1. Browse to Applications/Utilities and run Disk Utility
2. Select the spare drive which you want to install SL to from the left hand side.
3. Switch to the Partition Tab
4. Create a partition layout of 1 partitions and name it 'Snow' (the file system should already be set as Mac OS Extended (journaled))
5. Select options and ensure GUID scheme is selected.
6. Apply

Next we need to ignore ownership on the newly mounted file system. To do this go to your Desktop or Finder or and choose 'Get Info' on the newly mounted 'Snow' volume. At the bottom of the 'Get Info' pane will be the 'Sharing & Permissions' section and a lock symbol, we need to unlock this and tick the option 'Ignore Ownership'.

Start Installation

Have your SL DMG file handy and mount it on the machine you're doing the installation from. Ensure you have your spare drive you wish to install SL on plugged in, partitioned and ready to go. If you know what you are doing then we need to run the installation package from the SL image which is located under './System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg'.

1. Open the Mounted MAC OSX Installation image
2. Browse to './System/Installation/Packages' by pressing APPLE+SHIFT+G and then typing in the path './System/Installation/Packages'
3. Look for 'OSInstall.mpkg' and launch it.

Remember during the installation ensure you're installing to the correct drive. Additionally you can choose 'Customize' and deselect options such as 'Printer Driver', 'Additional Fonts', 'Additional Languages' to shorten the installation.

Installing Boot Loader & DSDT

If you know what you are doing then we need to install Chameleon 2.0 RC4 boot loader to the new SL drive.

1. Open the P6TD-Deluxe extras package you downloaded from the link above.
2. Run the 'Chameleon 2.0 RC4' installer package *** Remembering to install to the correct drive
3. Copy the DSDT.aml file from the P6TD-Deluxe extras package to the root of your SL drive.

The DSDT.aml used in this package is different from the one you might find on other P6T threads, this gives you orange drive icons (if you think thats a down-side theres a fix for that) but it does let you hot-swap drives after ejecting them from disk-utility which other ones I have found don't allow.

KEXT & SMBIOS

This step simply involves you copying the contents of the 'Extra' folder within the 'P6TD-Deluxe Extras' package to your SL drive under the corresponding '/Extra' folder. To confirm you've done this properly under your SL drive you should have the following:

'/Extra/com.apple.boot.plist'
'/Extra/Extensions/'
'/Extra/Extensions/AD2000b.kext'
'/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext'
'/Extra/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext'
'/Extra/Extensions/NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext'
'/Extra/Extensions/OpenHaltRestart.kext'
'/Extra/smbios.plist'
'/Extra/Themes'

and any other additional files that might of already been placed there.

First Boot

That is it, that is all that is required to get you up and running. Plug your new SL drive into the P6TD-Deluxe (SATA0) and boot her up. Ensure that your BIOS Storage Configuration is set to AHCI. If everything has worked then you should be presented with the Chameleon bootloader and a Icon for your SL drive. Press Enter to boot the SL volume and you should see the output of the machine as it loads. This option as well as the kernel type can be changed from the 'com.apple.boot.plist' file found under the '/Extra' folder.

Once you do have it all up and running, it is advised to immediately go into the 'Disk Utility' program and perform a 'Repair Permissions' on your drive. Then do a update to 10.6.2 and enjoy!

Note: the 'com.apple.Boot.plist' is configured for verbose i386 architecture. If you want to boot 64bit change architecture to x86_64.

thanks for the guide, have been searching this forum for quite a while to find it, almost ordered the old deluxe board, just wanted to be 100% sure its compatible before i buy it. very glad to hear it works

i was wondering, how much base files do you have in common with old deluxe v2 board. how much files/settings/etc. from one board, can be used for the other?

thanks

thanks for the guide, have been searching this forum for quite a while to find it, almost ordered the old deluxe board, just wanted to be 100% sure its compatible before i buy it. very glad to hear it works

i was wondering, how much base files do you have in common with old deluxe v2 board. how much files/settings/etc. from one board, can be used for the other?

thanks

I used a DSDT.aml and SMBIOS.plist from a post in the other guide. I failed to mention what works and what doesn't, so far I have only found the IDE controller not working, cant find a driver for it. But I haven't completely tested every feature of the mainboard, sound/network/video works fine and thats all I'm using at the moment.

hello

just an update.

i tried your method but all hd have orange icons (external) and also cpu score in xbench is low. everything worked OOTB though. i also tried files found in fabios guide for p6t deluxe and all works without any hitch. xbench score seems reasonable now. what score do you get with your files?

im not able to find an answer to my question, how can one find out that speedstep is working. in the past i could check in msrtools (dont work in leo), or voodoopower (didnt want to install the whole package but voodoomonitor gives me panic). i also think on my old q6600 i could use cpux, but that is supposed to work only on core2 family. is there any way to find out if speedstep is working?

tx

edit: on a second thought, the low xbench score could be because of speedstep, which is too slow to kick in for such a short cpu test. i am playing now with pstates and i can see same low score in xbench and cpu freq stays at the lowest step in speedstep.

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

i was wondering if it is possible for you (roswell) to repost the packages on rapidshare cause the link is not working anymore. Thank you in advance for your efforts. I was waiting for this along time. Macosx on my pc... wonderfull.

hope to hear from you soon.

Hello everyone.

I did a test for you so as to remove the doubts of compatibility with the DSDT of the P6T Deluxe.

I downloaded from ASUS website the latest firmware for my motherboard,

the P6T Deluxe v1 BIOS version 1904.

and I also downloaded the BIOS of your motherboard,

P6TD Deluxe BIOS version 0303.

I extracted from the two BIOS the ACPI tables and in particular the DSDT tables.

I decompile and have compared it...

The result.. the two tables are identical, this means you can use our DSDT with one caveat, I do not know what exactly your peripheral is... the device position maybe are locate in the same place but this .. I can't see if is the same as our mobo.

Anyway.. have fun!

Fabio

here the two decompiled table...

thanks for your effort and confirmation!

my theory:

the more i read about this board, it seems like "p6t deluxe v3". basically its the same as v2, except they added some more copper on pcb and whatnot...to make it look better they just used some marketing bullsh*t and gave it a new name... there is nothing new on this board considering all the major chips and board layout. would have to compare side by side to verify, but as i said, i think its the same hardware

I will update this thread soon, as iFabio stated the BIOS ACPI tables are the same, I see no difference in using the DSDT in my uploaded archive then the version he is linking to, so you're safe to use either. However what is missing from my archive is a Disabler to disable Apple's control over the CPU as you will find your systems are running under performance.

hello,

i was wondering if it is possible for you (roswell) to repost the packages on rapidshare cause the link is not working anymore. Thank you in advance for your efforts. I was waiting for this along time. Macosx on my pc... wonderfull.

I second that request - thanks

• 2 weeks later...
hello,

Hello.

Reupload that package, pls (Roswell or anyone) Coz can't find it anywhere

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Another success report here... Followed Roswell's guide and SL boots just fine and from what I can tell, all peripherals seem to be working, however... I have no HD icons on my desktop. Right now I only have one HD and a DVD drive connected. Ideas?? Anyone??

Thx...

Ok, realized that SL doesn't show HD icons on desktop... Is there anyway to show them?

• 5 months later...

Works great for me.

ASUS P6TD Deluxe + Intel i7 930 + Nvidia 470 GTX

I don't have a mac so I had to use an alternate method for initial install.

What I did was:

You'll need a virtual machine running OS X in order to install.

1. Go to a horrible thieving torrent site that I would not ever mention. They are pirates on this internet bay.

Do a search for "MacOSX Snow leopard 10.6.2.0 for VmWare (2010)-included"

2. I personally installed the most recent version of vmware. Google it and you'll find their site. Go through their little registration junk and download Vmware Player.

3. Do something that'll eat up 2 hours while your torrent finishes.

4. Run vmware player. Add your virtual machine that you downloaded.

Before you run your virtual machine (or not I don't care, but do this eventually). You'll need to set up your drive to install on. This needs to be an entire drive on it's own. The best choice is a fresh unmounted and untouched drive. If you do this wrong you could severely screw up your system. So unless you are a wizard DO NOT USE YOUR WINDOWS DRIVE TO DO THIS PART!

1. Click on your OS X Leopard Virtual machine and hit "Edit virtual machine settings"

2. Click "Add.." then select "Hard Disk" and then "Next"

3. Select "Use a physical disk"

Now this is where you should go to computer management (Right click "My Computer" > "Manage" then go to "Disk Management") and figure out which disk is which. Which ever disk number the drive has that you want to use (ie Disk 0, Disk 1, etc) that is the PhysicalDisk number you will use in Vmware Player.

4. Select that disk. Do it.

Click Next, now start your Virtual Machine.

Continue with the steps mentioned in the Original Post.

Also, be weary of com.apple.Boot.plist

You'll need to edit that when everything is done and change where the root drive is located

It's set to hd(0,1), which I know damn well most of you don't have your computer set up that way.

So you need to figure out which drive number you'll be using. Otherwise you'll get a "Still waiting for root" message at your first boot.

Anyway, good luck

• 4 weeks later...
This guide is based on a guide written by wizard for a similar mainboard made by ASUS which can be found here (for reference sake). However this guide is for installing 10.6(a432) on the ASUS P6TD-Deluxe.

Files for this guide can be downloaded here: P6TD-Deluxe Package

Warning: To prevent confusion, this board is the P6TD-Deluxe and is not the same as a P6T Deluxe v1/v2.

Hardware Used:

ASUS P6TD-Deluxe (BIOS rev: 0209 )

Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67 Ghz

3 x 2GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 Triple Channel

ASUS nVidia GTX 260

Thanks for the guide, worked will with a bit of trial and error, but I finally got it working, just my audio I still need to get working :-)

My setup that I did it on;

Intel Core i7-950 3,06 Ghz

http:///#ASUS "P6TD Deluxe" LGA1366-Sockel und X58-Chipsatz (not "P6T Deluxe V1/2")

6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 Tripple Channel (3x2GB)

GeForce GTX295 1792MB 896-bit

i've changed my setup quiet a bit and dont know if this guide still works or not, im using the following kext

AD2000B, AppleACPIPS2Nub, AppleVIAATA, fakesmc (2.5 i beleive), OpenHaltRestart, OrangeIconFix, VoodooPowerACPI, VoodooPS2Controller

those of you with P6TD-Deluxe that have used this guide, are any of you getting intermittent kernel panics? I have been getting them ever since I started with OSX and I am too lazy to perform memory tests on my board to check if its ram, I will run some over this weekend but I am curious to find out if anybody else has seen this behaviour or whether your rig has been 100% stable?

Hopefully you all dont respond saying 'stable'. Any of you's running XMP profile for the memory on this board?

i've changed my setup quiet a bit and dont know if this guide still works or not, im using the following kext

AD2000B, AppleACPIPS2Nub, AppleVIAATA, fakesmc (2.5 i beleive), OpenHaltRestart, OrangeIconFix, VoodooPowerACPI, VoodooPS2Controller

those of you with P6TD-Deluxe that have used this guide, are any of you getting intermittent kernel panics? I have been getting them ever since I started with OSX and I am too lazy to perform memory tests on my board to check if its ram, I will run some over this weekend but I am curious to find out if anybody else has seen this behaviour or whether your rig has been 100% stable?

Hopefully you all dont respond saying 'stable'. Any of you's running XMP profile for the memory on this board?

Hi,

I had the same problem, what I did was;

Plugged my Hard Drive into another PC that managed to boot into Mac, then I installed the MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.5, then I plugged the Hard Drive back into my PC, fired her up and it bootet straight into Mac :-) cool, oh yes, I also installed the Chameleon RC5 instead of the RC4.

I hope this helps :-)

Greetz

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am having trouble booting into Snow Leopard. This morning it was successful but like a fool I attempted a 10.6.5 update and subsequently lost my boot up. I reformatted the disk and reinstalled Snow Leopard and tried again but it will not boot at all, gets stuck on this:

launchctl please convert the follwing to launchhd etc/mach_initid.dashboardadvisoryd.plist

The guide is awesome and clear to follow so I don't know where this has gone wrong?

I have an iMac with an original 10.6.2 disc, this is what I have used to install OSX on a SATA HDD.

Please help. : \

• 6 months later...

I'm running Lion in my P6TD-Deluxe (i7-930+3x2Gb 1600MHz), but sound and LAN isn't working anymore. I tried the same method that I used for Snow with success, but isn't working.