hnak

AppleIntelE1000e.kext for 10.8/10.7/10.6/10.5

768 posts in this topic

Historically, the realtek open source driver has been a bit unstable, with driver bugs including years worth of SMB protocol performance issues, poor jumbo frame support, stuck queues, etc. Meanwhile the intel 10/100/1000 driver was stable.

I think the stark difference in stability has been a direct byproduct of the different way these two companies handle driver support, NDA headaches from realtek being a part of that. While the realtek driver has seemed to finally reach stability under linux a few years ago, apparently the support methodology has remained unchanged.

First party intel driver source is available as soon as new hardware comes out, but for realtek, the driver source normally lags behind. I think it's rather telling about realtek's commitment that their last OSX driver release was in 9/2011.

On top of this, under OSX, the OS provides native, officially supported drivers for some intel nics and no native drivers for realtek ethernet.

This combined with the driver support issues, and the historical track record, are why IMO buying a realtek nic to get a stable ethernet driver is not the wisest choice, especially given how cheap some intel nics are.

That's not to say your realtek osx driver isn't a good one, I don't have reason to believe it isn't.

Should an end user need to be bothered with these details? Certainly not, but the details affect which choice is wisest for them nonetheless.

I agree that for the intel e1000e, osx support should be quite fixable (given that intel has a stable working open source solution available for reference).

I welcome your efforts. It's quite frustrating that the best solution at the moment appears to be to buy a NIC, given that the on-board hardware and intel open source are perfectly capable already.

Advertisement

Historically, the realtek open source driver has been a bit unstable, with driver bugs including years worth of SMB protocol performance issues, poor jumbo frame support, stuck queues, etc. Meanwhile the intel 10/100/1000 driver was stable.

I think the stark difference in stability has been a direct byproduct of the different way these two companies handle driver support, NDA headaches from realtek being a part of that. While the realtek driver has seemed to finally reach stability under linux a few years ago, apparently the support methodology has remained unchanged.

First party intel driver source is available as soon as new hardware comes out, but for realtek, the driver source normally lags behind. I think it's rather telling about realtek's commitment that their last OSX driver release was in 9/2011.

Realtek makes inexpensive semiconductors for the Windows mass market. That's their business and that's why they have a business culture of the Microsoft style while Intel has shown a strong commitment to linux during the last decade. Nevertheless the progress of their linux driver during the last years is remarkable.

On top of this, under OSX, the OS provides native, officially supported drivers for some intel nics and no native drivers for realtek ethernet.

I don't remember Apple has ever used a Realtek NIC. Although they published the source of a driver for the RTL8139 as sample code years ago, I see no reason why they should write a driver for chips they don't use. Besides, the number of Apple supported Intel chips is limited and taking the price into account it boils down to 82574L based cards.

This combined with the driver support issues, and the historical track record, are why IMO buying a realtek nic to get a stable ethernet driver is not the wisest choice, especially given how cheap some intel nics are.

Well, Intel NICs have their bugs too, in particular the 82574L (used on cheap add-in cards) which is prone to receiver deadlocks.

That's not to say your realtek osx driver isn't a good one, I don't have reason to believe it isn't.

But I have: 8 month of stable operation on my OS X home server (24/7 uptime) without a single loss of network connectivity.

Should an end user need to be bothered with these details? Certainly not, but the details affect which choice is wisest for them nonetheless.

Yes of course, at least when you are using a hackintosh you should know what you are doing as it's your own responsibility to get a stable working machine. Otherwise I would recommend to go to the next Apple Store and pick a real Mac.

Mieze

So, I want to state that I'm more than willing to beta test any 1000e driver.  I posted about the realtek only because I was able to get it to work.  I needed at least one wired ethernet port to work, and I have that.

So, if any of you wants people willing to assist in beta testing drivers for 1000e, I'm still in...

kernel[0]: failed to getphysicalsegment in outputPacket.

I also got this twice.

Can also confirm problems with large network copies, in my case: Finder Error -36, no lockup though.

it's my first post here, but i had to because i had problem with my intel network adapter from ASUS rampage III gene. After using AppleIntelE1000e.kext for 2.14 up to 2.5, i had network connection, but on wake from sleep finder would froze, only the cursor was moving. Same would happen if i chose network adapter and made it inactive in system preferences.After searching for two month (because i needed sleep function), today i tried with Intel82566MM.kext seeing it had mu device id: 10ce in the .plist. Now sleep is working fine, inactive also works and i have network support. So if you have same dev_id or supported dev_id and have problems with sleep try this kext. I haven't tried yet but it says that this kext doesn't support some function of vmware so read before using.  

hnak, thanks for your work on the ethernet driver.

I have a Z77X-UD5H which has both an Intel GbE (AppleIntelE1000e-v2.5.4d) and Atheros GbE (ALXEthernet-v1.0.2).

I'm running 10.9.0.  WOL is working on the Atheros, but not working on the Intel.  The Atheros driver source is available here:  http://code.google.com/p/iats/downloads/list

Thanks again!

here running osx 10.9.0 and i have gigabyte ga-z87x-oc with Intel GbE LAN chipset.

after starting up the DHCP does NOT connect to my Netgear DG834gt, and it appears as IP 169.254.x.x

if i disconnect and reconnect the ethernet cable from the router i get correct DHCP IP 192.168.0.x
internet seems to work but IT'S VERY SLOW, and after shut down i have same issue when start up the computer again.

my network specification taken from system profiler:

Type: Ethernet Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x1503b

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1458

Subsystem ID: 0xe000

Revision ID: 0x0004

BSD name: en0

Kext name: AppleIntelE1000e.kext

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelE1000e.kext

Version: 2.4.14

Version: 2.1.14

Why don't you start by using a newer version of the driver, especially since your on the newest intel chips. 2.4.14 is what most people find to be the most stable. You may also try 2.5.x and see if it works for you.

g\

hey genzai

i reading you must reset kext cache and repair permission to replace a kext file, then restart and install the ethernet driver again… 

so i must delete the 2.4.14 kext from beast 6.0.1 and install the Network hnak's AppleIntelE1000e v2.5.4d from 6.0.0  ?

do you suggest to do this manually using app like kext wizard  ?

actually i'm a total noob, so could you explain how to "try" most recent ethernet driver without messing up all the system ?

if is possible, you can help me here by chat or PM ?

thanks a lot for you advice

thanks a lot for you advice

There are many ways to install and manage kexts. But first of all you are using 2.1.14 and you should try 2.4.14

Then if 2.4.14 is not stable for you, try the latest 2.5.4d.

You can use the beast tools if you want, there should be no extra steps needed.

g\

sorrt my mistake...i typed it wrong… i'm actually using 2.4.14 and NOT 2.1.14  !!

i corrected my previous post… so i could try to use 2.5.x ?

what is latest driver ?

tried latest driver, same issue or worse… back to 2.4.14

here i read Intel Ethernet Network Connection i217-V...

anything i could check in the BIOS to see if all is configured as should be ?

otherwise i think i need advice for a good ethernet card that works with mavericks  :(

otherwise i think i need advice for a good ethernet card that works with mavericks  :(

Mieze has made a soft offer to rewrite the driver starting around new year. If she does that there is a good chance she will fix all these emerging issues. In the meantime, if you have a free PCI(e) slot there are plenty of very cheap options for working gigabit add in cards. just do a little research here and in google. Rosewill makes some that are cheap. 

Here is a nice dual nic card on the cheap:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166096

And i use this with my macbook air. it kicks ass and won't use up a pci slot:

http://www.meritline.com/gwc-he3130-usb-3-0-3-port-hub---p-116801.aspx?hq_e=el&hq_m=2790081&hq_l=12&hq_v=ce07e82a65

or if you just need a basic single port card, like i said google or search the forums because there are very many options. and pretty much anything that is reported to work in 10.7 or 10.8 will also work in 10.9 even if it hasn't been explicitly reported.

g\

genzai,

really thanks for your help !

i appreciate a lot, if Mieze will do i will be glad to make a donation to repay her for the disturb  :sorcerer:

dont want to be off topic but i need to explain a little bit more specific my problem...

aside the internet navigation, due to the lagging/intermittent data flow i have the MAIN problem with 2 music ethernet controllers.

my euphonix mc control and mc mix are unusable cause the data is not constantly and precisely delivered in/out of them.

their EUCON protocol is used by Avid prefessional product and is mostly reliable. i updated driver but not solved the problem.

i just did a try with my mac book pro and they works perfectly, so the culprit is the ethernet for sure  B)

it's a shame cause today i did a bench test with Logic Pro X and my hack pro scored very well and stable, but without controllers much productivity is cutted down  :(

let's hope Mieze or someone else will fix this issue, i reading around it's a PITA for many of us!

great thanks to all guys here helping me !

PS:

i checked your links tonight but neither products are available in EU (i'm from Italy)

any other network card that works OOB on mavericks ?

any other network card that works OOB on mavericks ?

Worst of all cases, you can always check stuff from Apple Store for Macbook Airs if you want USB or for Mac Pros if you wan PCI.

i need just linux terminal or a specific tool ?

any other network card ?

those from wiki list are mostly discontinued or no recently tested on newer osx systems… all says 10.6 or 10.7

i'm tempted to try renistall ALL onto another HD and check if network works correctly at second try.

i'm really upset cause the rest seems to run smooth… i tested under logic pro X with maxed out cpu (all 8 threads under full load) and looked very stable system, what a shame :(

The full list of commands are in the first post I linked to. You just run the terminal, install ethtool and run those commands. Apple's Dual Gigabit Ethernet card uses the same 82574L chipset.

Granted that chipset has had a few problems of it's own as I discovered when I looked it up on Google.

Maybe someone can suggest another card that works well OOB.

ok riley, thanks again for you help...

i keep searching  …  ;)

actually found this: http://plugable.com/shop/eu

Mac OS X 10.9 (and 10.8.5) includes support for both the AX88772 chipset and the AX88178 chipsets in our USB 2.0 USB Ethernet adapters, and UD-160-A docking station. For these chips, we recommend first uninstalling any ASIX drivers and repairing disk permissions before upgrade to 10.9 (relying on your built-in net connection), and just plugging in to use the Apple drivers after upgrade.

PS:

just bought this one… will update when i get it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00484IEJS/ref=ox_ya_os_product

but some faith remains i can make working onboard NIC  :P

Hi I got a Fujitsu Q900 (mac mini size) with Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network.

I installed AppleIntelE1000e.kext but I still can't access the network settings (everything in grey).

I installed several network kexts already - does this have any negative effects?

Do I have to delete the old network kexts?

thanks for your help!