Confirmed: X-fi Forte 7.1 working both output and Input

larabee

52 posts in this topic

i've been watching and searching insanelymac for such a long time ... without posting anything. This is my 1st post and it will be a miracle to those who still want to use X-fi chip to power their games in windows, and use X-fi built-in DAC for music in Hackintosh.

I had a X-fi extreme music PCI and tried using VoodooHDA desperately, but it's no use. I did some research and learned that the X-fi 20k2 chip can be detected by voodooHDA by mapping soundcard's memory to match the intel HD audio standard.

Since Auzentech X-fi Forte have HD front panel connector soldered in its PCB, some how I guess it can be compatible and can be controlled by VoodooHDA.kext; and I gave it a try. First, without connecting soundcard to the front panel, VoodoHDA failed me. It was able to detect but produced no sound. Then, when I plugged the front panel into the card, it worked with both the built-in headphone output and the front panel. It's a miracle. I was able to get digital input and analog input but result in kernel panic right after that. Still can't get the voodoohda control panel to work by any means.

My system config:

Q9550

gigabyte p45 mother board

onboard 888 left enable all the time

9800GT

Snowleopard retail 10.6.2

Will report further...

here's the screen shot:

post-274019-1262562050_thumb.png

post-274019-1262562060_thumb.png

updated: 1

Finally I got this card fully functional with both input and output when connect both audio out and in to front panel and then use another headset to connect to the card backplate. Of course only the connector in the back works.

post-274019-1262564222_thumb.png

update2: Switch to windows, set mode to entertainment mode, Crystalize to 80%. Somehow these settings in windows can affect the sound output in mac OS.

update 3: If you do not have a front audio panel, simply short the connector with some kinds of jumper and it will work. ( make sure it will fit well or you will hear static sound)

update 4: leave onboard audio enabled all the time or voodooHDA will not be able to map appleHDA to your X-fi.

I used the one found in here

all X-fi cards that have PCI pins use 20k1 chip

The idea of having 20k2 is that the card is inserted to PCI express slot in order to be detected easily.

as far as I know, most sound cards which are compatible with intel HDA will be fine in Mac OS. Does your card have HD audio connector onboard? ( if yes, connect to the front audio in your case, and you will be fine )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sorry everyone, I couldn't reply to all of u guys cos I was in the hospital.

The card must fit to PCI Express slot in order to be detected. Otherwise, you will have to map the PCI IO for Leopard to detect your card ( i couldn't do it )

I used this case :

intro1.jpg

all I did is connect the front audio cable to the HDA connector in my card. And everything works.

Again, YOUR CARD MUST USE THE PCI EXPRESS SLOT AND HAVE HDA COMPATIBILITY.

Ok i buy the auzentech 7.1 looks nice.

And sell my x-fi fatality PCI !

THANKS !!

good luck with your choice

it's still fairly risky. USB sound is a safer option.

I often play game at late night, so headphone is a must. That's why I chose Forte 7.1 and voodooHDA do the magic for my card.

I don't have any other reports that X-fi input can work. Maybe I'm just lucky enough to get it done.

here is all audio devices I have in my system : ( the ones with speaker icon are from 888A codec that is fully working, the rest is the X-fi )

screenshot20100204at104.png

notice that the Forte has dedicated headphone connector that make the difference in sound quality. So far, I have had no complaint, no crackling, no odd sounds. Please remember: your settings in windows can somehow affect your card in hackintosh system ( at least I can notice it in mine )

Unfortunately, I don't have 5.1 speakers to test whether I have a fully functional sound card.

OK guys! Finally after a day of attempts it starts working for me with X-Fi Extreme Audio and all analog output.

I've checked all connectors - green, orange, black and grey and all outputs sound simultaneously.

And this was a good news!

<key>NodesToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Codec</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>Config</key>
				<string>[color="#FF0000"]0x01014010[/color]</string>
				<key>Description</key>
				<string>Green	Line Out  1/8" stereo/mono	Jack  External  Rear</string>
				<key>Node</key>
				<integer>11</integer>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Codec</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>Config</key>
				<string>[color="#FF0000"]0x01016070[/color]</string>
				<key>Description</key>
				<string>Orange	Line Out  1/8" stereo/mono	Jack  External  Rear</string>
				<key>Node</key>
				<integer>12</integer>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Codec</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>Config</key>
				<string>[color="#FF0000"]0x01011080[/color]</string>
				<key>Description</key>
				<string>Black	Line Out  1/8" stereo/mono	Jack  External  Rear</string>
				<key>Node</key>
				<integer>13</integer>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Codec</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>Config</key>
				<string>[color="#FF0000"]0x01014090[/color]</string>
				<key>Description</key>
				<string>Grey	Line Out  1/8" stereo/mono	Jack  External  Rear</string>
				<key>Node</key>
				<integer>14</integer>
			</dict>
		</array>

After that I've try to figure out how to make 5.1 configuration. Goggling said me about Aggregation Device. I've try tom do 5.1 output with it. All my outs works with 16bit 44khz settings, when I add it to Aggregation Device configure 5.1 and select device for sound output sound stops playing. Only changing first Green out to different sample rate enables sound, but I'm loosing ability to control sound levels from top bar and system preferences. I also played few videos with 5.1 sound and I think all speakers outs the same front channel stereo but in clone version=)

Don't know what to do with 5.1/7.1 config.

By the way when I've patched plist new devices appeared in sound config panel

for output

post-120553-1265488916_thumb.pngpost-120553-1265488932_thumb.png

for input all the same

post-120553-1265488926_thumb.png

After this attempts I also tried to remap my Mic (as voodoo detects Pink Front Mic) and Line-In(Blue Rear) with simply replacing Config strings mic to line-in / line-in to mic. Reboot and Mic still not working. Switching between line-in and mic as input had no result.

<dict>
				<key>Codec</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>Config</key>
				<string>0x02a19040</string>
				<key>Description</key>
				<string>Line in</string>
				<key>Node</key>
				<integer>16</integer>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Codec</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>Config</key>
				<string>0x01813030</string>
				<key>Description</key>
				<string>Mic</string>
				<key>Node</key>
				<integer>17</integer>
			</dict>

Strange strange sound card is X-Fi extreme audio, it has 4 analog outputs on back, one analog input combined with mic input on back too, two optical SPDIFs i/o on back and on card inside PC as manual said has front panel connectors with headphones and mic.

Any help required. Plaese=)

Additional details to my previous post about X-Fi Extreme Audio PCI-e card

As addition to the following - multichannel configuration doesn't work out of box after reboot, it starts working only when I change output source in MIDI setup from-and back to rear green, mic doesn't work after reboot too until I change sample rate for it. And finally the most bad news for me and think for others who have X-Fi Extreme Audio - with current drivers when you enable multichannel output (maybe mic too) some software may stop working. I have this problem with Adobe Premiere CS4 - it stops playing anything in its window until I revert to unpatched driver.

That's all! Until someone fix the driver X-Fi XA is not a good card for 5.1/mic.

Fantastic work joshhh.

Do you have a front panel? Plug a mic into front panel and plug another one to the back and you will get random mic ( sometimes it works, sometimes not).

The flexi-jack from Creative messed up everything

Now I don't have front panel, just two pieces of wires and some scotch and sides of wires to FrontHDA pins onboard of card and to mini-jack of external mic.

I dont have second mic to check both connectors on card and on front( sadly mic doesnt work after reboot untill I change sample rate of mic in MIDI setup few times(((

Please somebody can help me to get the sound with my X-fi titanium pci-e ? I only get the sound with Green jack.The orthers port doesn't work.

I send my titanium info dump.

Sorry for my bad english.

I looked at your dump and I think you can use my plist in VoodooHDA driver cause our cards completely the same

Info.plist.zip

Tank you joshhh.I try your info.plist after make it compatible with my titanium (change some parameter) and get the sound trough Line-out(Green rear).The Line-out (orange rear) not work and i don't have Line-out (black rear) in the sound menu. I try after a fresh install of mac os the original voodoo hda 2.2 and i get sound trough all ports but unfortunately i see in the sound menu only Line-out(Green rear).Line-out(orange rear) and Line-out (Black rear) not appear and i can't select 5.1 in the midi panel.Only 2.0 is available.

Here is modified info.plist you send me.

Info.txt

I've a X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB

IT works with an older VoodooHDA with 2.1, 5.1 configuration (via MIDI config) fine. But When I upgraded to VoodooHDA 0.2.2, sounds is just crackling through Creative.

I could have stayed on older version but I need Crystallizer, Equalizer settings. There's no Front Panle for this device only Control Panel which is only on Windows. Ay hints? Can I somehow control Crystallizer?

Seeking help since long!

Hey larabee,

I've got an Auzentech X-FI Home Theater HD and when I try to use VoodooHDA, I get a kernel panic as soon as I kextload the driver (also happens if I reboot with the driver in the kextcache). Did you ever have this problem? Also, Is your Forte deviceID 0x000b1102? I noticed that the X-Fi Titanium is this ID as well as my Auzen HTHD. If yours is the same, and you were getting kernel panics too, maybe we can work together to figure it out. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey larabee,

I've got an Auzentech X-FI Home Theater HD and when I try to use VoodooHDA, I get a kernel panic as soon as I kextload the driver (also happens if I reboot with the driver in the kextcache). Did you ever have this problem? Also, Is your Forte deviceID 0x000b1102? I noticed that the X-Fi Titanium is this ID as well as my Auzen HTHD. If yours is the same, and you were getting kernel panics too, maybe we can work together to figure it out. Thanks.

I've been out lately and almost forgot this thread.

I have exactly the same device ID and never ever encounter any problem with kernel panic with VoodooHDA.

My Forte 7.1 is some how mapped to the onboard audio device

Sound from game --> HDA driver --> onboard sound acts like a hardware bridge --> Forte 7.1 acts like the main audio processing unit --> output

that's all I have until now.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

i just bought a Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 and have problems to get it work. I installed VoodooHDA.kext and the soundcard seems to be recognized (not in Profiler but inputs and outputs are shown). But neither the outputs nor the inputs are working. I have installed a HD-Frontpanel to the card. Can you tell me what i can try to get it working?

Hi,

i just bought a Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 and have problems to get it work. I installed VoodooHDA.kext and the soundcard seems to be recognized (not in Profiler but inputs and outputs are shown). But neither the outputs nor the inputs are working. I have installed a HD-Frontpanel to the card. Can you tell me what i can try to get it working?

plug the headphone to the front panel and your headphone to the rear headphone jack in the back and it's gonna work !

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an X-Fi Prelude 7.1 Card will the VoodooHDA work for this as well ? how exactly do we get it to install. There is a version 0.2.2 out and possibly newer beta.. has anyone been able to get it to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated thankyou :D