• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
Swad

The "Explain your nickname" thread

267 posts in this topic

Mine comes from the fact that I tend to be a really high bandwidth person, so the nick was a natural choice about 17 years ago when I first hopped on IRC as it was just being coded back in 1989. My original nick on IRC at that time was genius, but after a few weeks some idiot latched onto it from a university connection and I simply couldn't get it back - dialup sucks, especially back in those days.

So, I chose broadband originally, but then someone latched onto that from another university connection, and so I changed it to br0adband and it stands today as still mine on most IRC networks, web forums, Google searches, and my domain br0adband.net.

Mine comes from the fact that I tend to be a really high bandwidth person, so the nick was a natural choice about 17 years ago when I first hopped on IRC as it was just being coded back in 1989. My original nick on IRC at that time was genius, but after a few weeks some idiot latched onto it from a university connection and I simply couldn't get it back - dialup sucks, especially back in those days.

So, I chose broadband originally, but then someone latched onto that from another university connection, and so I changed it to br0adband and it stands today as still mine on most IRC networks, web forums, Google searches, and my domain br0adband.net.

/me hands you cool points for being an IRC pioneer.

It's pretty dull, I was a little drunk/high when I signed up and I'd not encountered a forum where you have a login & a username before.

I would be themoors, as is usual for me, but instead the whole internet knows my true identity.

It is my school username.

the 01 stands for the year my school year was formed (2001)

DM are my initials

eng stands for England

It just sort of stuck!

Mine originated when I was talked in to playing my very fisrt online game by a friend of mine. The game was Team Fortress Classic and appearently it was pretty new at the time. He gave me a copy of the game and got me all setup for playing, but I still needed to pick a name to play by. It took me a little while to decide on something, but I settled for the name of a style of shoe by Airwalk. I remembered seeing it when I was out getting some new shoes and thought that it had to be one of the strangest sounds I had ever seen spelled out. I liked it very much and it's been what I go by ever since.

I guess that isn't the most exciting reason, but it is certainly not a common name. You'd be surprised just how often it gets misspelled, let alone mispronouned.

my name explains itself. i am a stargate fan. i started by using it in my email adress. it kind of stuck since i kept likeing it even more. i had switched to xyloman for a while then it just took over. i use stargatefan for everything.

I got on the internets for the first time (AOL) and needed a signin name. simple as that.

Just so happened i had watched the simpsons episode when they had that Bartman song. so i choose bartboy

919 is a random number

Lol...mines kinda funny. I dont know if jeezoflip is from something already... BUT

One time, in my History class back in Middle School, we had this long term sub. He was cool. But anyway, we use to mess around in his class all the time. So one day he asked my friend a question, and i forget what it was or what my friend said back, but it was some smart ass answer. So, my teacher took his hand and hit his forehead and was like "O JEEZOLIP!" and i thought it sounded funny as hell, so i use it as my internet alias for like everything.

Eh, yeah. I had a freakin horrible time coming up with usernames back when i first started using teh interwebs.

This one came into existence about two years ago, in eighth grade math. (yes, i'm 15. deal with it.) One of my friends has a habit of saying crazy stuff. Funny, but crazy. So at that time his "crazy" thing was twisting words into weird contortions. So he's like "hey erbic!". Yeah. It's my name with a B in the middle. It stuck... too well. It's been two years and I can't get anyone to call me Eric anymore. :D

So, yeah. This became the name i use on all teh interwebs-related stuff. Unless five letters is too short, in which case it's xErBiC.

well...i have two nicknames i use...i use paperweight and veggie...the story on paperweight is for another time. as for veggie, everybody calls me that at school (yes, im only 14) because im a vegatarian....its just kinda stuck with me since 7th grade.

Teppei = my fav japan comic character, his full name is Teppei Uesugi, and he is the main character in japan comic "Boy Action". I read it when im still in high school i guess.

When I first started joining online communities, they were all Mac Emulation related. Not Mac Emulation like SheepShaver, Aqua-Emulation like Flyakite OSX, which basically means making PC's look like a Mac. My name is Ari, and I wanted Ari combined with Mac OS X, so I called myselft AriX. I eventually decided to make an Aqua-Emulation website. I called it "WinX", because it combined Windows and Mac OS X. After that, I realized that it matched my name, so I made it. It eventually merged with another site about the same thing. It's now called Aqua-Gero. My old name before AriX was ariw2002net. I got ariw from my name and last initial, i made it in 2002, and i had an aol account called ariw2002. I was registering for a Netscape account, and didn't know it was the same thing, so I decided to make ariw2002@netscape.net. Of course, it was already taken, by me, so it gave me username suggestions and one of them was ariw2002net, which I took. I used to change them every year though, my first AOL account was ariw2001, then ariw2002, then ariw2002net (at netscape), then ariw2003 and ariw2003net (At netscape)

I chose my nickname because my name is Travis and 1085 is my PO Box number.

well, my name is joe, so in spanish it would be jose

and then if u say jose in latin, you add a us, and then i add an af derived

from the ph in joseph to get jose af us (joseafus)

Ah well JMufla came about on a School Trip to Tunisia in 1999...

It all started with being tired, or at least looking tired... and my apparent similarity with an italian sheep called "il Muflone" or a "Mufla"... Don't ask... It stuck... The J was added because it is the first letter of my name... hence JMufla

My name is soundless because on every computer i have ever owned, i have somehow screwed up the sound!

mine is because of the mortal kombat armageddon character mocap

this guy has nothing to do with the mk story ... it just the guy who has several sensores and a special costume and makes kicks and stuff like that in order to let the pc record his moves :)

but the expression is truly general . so everyone making the moves in a game or animated movie is a mocap. but in mk you can play him as well :D

here is a pic of a mocap

http://media01.cgchannel.com/images/news/3718/mocap.jpg

I choose mine because of my initials (A-J-:( and what number person I am in the world.

Sorry it did that weird smiley face i meant AJB

well mine came about several years ago when I was living in the UK (I am from NZ) looking for a url I wanted kiwi.com but that was taken so I was thinking 'what would be a number one unique name/url' thats when I came up with numberonekiwi

My nickname comes from my name. My real name is Tim Taylor as in from the show Home Improvement with Tim Allen. I just fancied it up a bit. 2LMan...