Still waiting for Root...

ronni3

7 posts in this topic

Let me start with my pc configuration, as this may be helpful.

Dell Dimension 8400

P4 (Prescott) 3.2GHz - SSE3 capable

4 SATA HDD - 2 Seagates & 2 WD Raptors (1 Raptor is my bootup Win Xp drive)

1 PATA HDD connected via Adaptec PCI IDE adapter card

1 DVD-ROM

1 DVD+/-RW

ATI X800XT

Audigy 2

While I install after using the Generic Installation DVD Patcher to patch the Marklar.ISO and burn it, I use the (-v) command so that I can see any problems that may arise. Everything seems to work great as I see no panics and it seems to recognize my SATA drives because I see this:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

<key>ICH5 Serial ATA Controller</key>

<key>ICH6 Serial ATA Controller</key>

<key>ICH6-M Serial ATA Controller</key>

BUT then it seems to look for whichever hard drive (root?) it can find and continues to state, "Still waiting for Root Device...".

I can't figure out what might be my problem. I did want to find out if anyone had trouble with Raptors, as this was where I wanted to place the Mac OS? Also, do I have to pre-format the drive into a recognizable partition that Apple uses before going forward with the installation? And how do I do this if this is the case?

One last question, how do I know whether or not my SATA drives are set as Master/Slave, as I do not see jumpers on the back of the drive, or are they set internally via software? I added this just incase this may be my problem.

Thanks a lot everyone for all the great work going on! I know everyone must really appreciate it. I know I do!

Let me start with my pc configuration, as this may be helpful.

Dell Dimension 8400

P4 (Prescott) 3.2GHz - SSE3 capable

4 SATA HDD - 2 Seagates & 2 WD Raptors (1 Raptor is my bootup Win Xp drive)

1 PATA HDD connected via Adaptec PCI IDE adapter card

1 DVD-ROM

1 DVD+/-RW

ATI X800XT

Audigy 2

While I install after using the Generic Installation DVD Patcher to patch the Marklar.ISO and burn it, I use the (-v) command so that I can see any problems that may arise. Everything seems to work great as I see no panics and it seems to recognize my SATA drives because I see this:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

<key>ICH5 Serial ATA Controller</key>

<key>ICH6 Serial ATA Controller</key>

<key>ICH6-M Serial ATA Controller</key>

BUT then it seems to look for whichever hard drive (root?) it can find and continues to state, "Still waiting for Root Device...".

I can't figure out what might be my problem. I did want to find out if anyone had trouble with Raptors, as this was where I wanted to place the Mac OS? Also, do I have to pre-format the drive into a recognizable partition that Apple uses before going forward with the installation? And how do I do this if this is the case?

One last question, how do I know whether or not my SATA drives are set as Master/Slave, as I do not see jumpers on the back of the drive, or are they set internally via software? I added this just incase this may be my problem.

Thanks a lot everyone for all the great work going on! I know everyone must really appreciate it. I know I do!

There is a search for these forums and this is being discussed on a bunch of threads already.Use the search and see how others have sloved this problem ... Good luck

i get the still wateing for root device when i have my cd-rw connected on my 2nd ide channel set as slave with my dvd drive as master. when i take off the cd-rw i no longer get the wateing for root device problem.

darwin seems to not like my cd-rw as when iam in osx86 the cd-rw read light just flashes all the time.

i get the still wateing for root device when i have my cd-rw connected on my 2nd ide channel set as slave with my dvd drive as master. when i take off the cd-rw i no longer get the wateing for root device problem.

darwin seems to not like my cd-rw as when iam in osx86 the cd-rw read light just flashes all the time.

This could possibly be my problem. I have my DVD-RW on the 2nd IDE channel and nothing on the 1st channel (don't ask why). I will try changing it to the 1st channel and if that doesn't work, then I will remove it and try installing from my external USB 2.0 DVD-rom. Wish me luck! I will let everyone know what happens soon. Thanks!

Well that seem to have done it. I changed the DVD-rom to primary channel from secondary and I also turned off all other hard drives I didn't want to use within OSx within bios and then install without one single flaw.

It is running smooth and, I can't believe it, VERY FAST!!! The only problem I have now is that I am unable to get on the internet. Sucks, but hey I got the hardest part to work.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Hey!

I've the same problem, except my hardware is quite different...

P4 2.8Ghz

512Ram pc3200

Asus p4s800

Hd : Maxtor 80Gig 7200 on the 1st ide set as master (not cable select)

ATI 9600xt 128Megs

BenQ 1620 DVD burner on the 2nd ide

I've follow up the guide on uneasy website, boot ubuntu, did the dd to the /dev/hda

When I boot up, darwin show up... but I've the "still waiting for root device" error.

I did some search on this forum, but nothing help me... except this thread.

You say you have nothing on your first ide, right? Where's your HD?

Do I have to set as secondary my DVD drive and put it on the first ide, just beside my HD?

is that what you've done?

Regards

• 8 months later...
Hey!

I've the same problem, except my hardware is quite different...

P4 2.8Ghz

512Ram pc3200

Asus p4s800

Hd : Maxtor 80Gig 7200 on the 1st ide set as master (not cable select)

ATI 9600xt 128Megs

BenQ 1620 DVD burner on the 2nd ide

I've follow up the guide on uneasy website, boot ubuntu, did the dd to the /dev/hda

When I boot up, darwin show up... but I've the "still waiting for root device" error.

I did some search on this forum, but nothing help me... except this thread.

You say you have nothing on your first ide, right? Where's your HD?

Do I have to set as secondary my DVD drive and put it on the first ide, just beside my HD?

is that what you've done?

Regards

Same here.