4850 DVI+DP+HDMI black screen no monitor signal solved. Also 10.6.2 update works.

h4x9000

23 posts in this topic

Good news everyone,

After getting slighty frustrated with the black blank screen no monitor signal issue, I did make it work in the end :)

I have a Powercolor 4850 with DVI+DP+HDMI. I finally got it to work using HDMI port with HDMI to DVI adapter as output and putting a DVI to VGA Adapter into the DVI port.

Only Problem now is mouse lag. Anybody know how to fix that?

*update* D'Oh. No need for the DVI2VGA adapter at DVI-port at all. Also solves mouse stutter issue.

for updating to 10.6.2 see post #11

First, thanks for sharing your findings. Now, let me flood you with questions ;)

- You plugged an HDMI to DVI adapter and plugged this cable on your monitor. You plugged an DVI to VGA adapter and didn't plugged anywhere. Is that right?

- Which OSX as you using? Snow Leopard or Leopard? Which update, 10.6.2?

- What about your ATI kexts, are them original, unmodified Apple kexts or have you installed any custom (ie, Netkas exotic)? If so, where did you found those files?

- Are you using EvoEnabler or LegacyATI4800Controller?

- What about Chameleon/PC_EFI versions, what are you using?

- Any boot.plist options, EFI Strings? Anything customised (video related) on your DSDT?

I for one want to reproduce such fixes (in fact, I had done some of these already, but without success) then the more information you provide, the better for all of us.

Again, thanks.

I got it working on 10.5.7. I am just now trying to install 10.6 but i guess this might take some time... will report back if it works there, but i guess it should.

I just installed the second package from here (Enabler for Nvidia and multiple ATI cards)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi.../t155477-0.html

didn't delete the motmot in step 5.

If you are running 10.5.6 you also need first package.

If you are running 10.6 you should try only this package:

http://netkas.org/?p=212

again, I'll report back if I get 10.6 running.

The problem is just that the monitor doesn't get a signal on DVI port. I guess it just sends to HDMI so use that (no need for adapter if you actually have HDMI Monitor i guess) but terminate the DVI port with DVI to VGA adapter.

On netkas.org I read that mouse lag might be fixed with 59Hz instead of 60Hz. Anyway to do this without switchresx?

Oh I see. I was able to use a very similar card without any issues in Leopard, but in SL 10.6.2, it is a no go. Thanks for the heads up. Good luck.

To get that 4850 to work on 10.6.2, I used evoenabler.kext and used the legacyati4800controller.kext which has the correct device id. You can also edit the ati4800controller.kext with the device id, but that kexts can get replaced by Apple when they patch.

To get that 4850 to work on 10.6.2, I used evoenabler.kext and used the legacyati4800controller.kext which has the correct device id. You can also edit the ati4800controller.kext with the device id, but that kexts can get replaced by Apple when they patch.

I bet your card has 2 DVI ports, which has nothing to do in this post...

I bet your card has 2 DVI ports, which has nothing to do in this post...

My 4850 has 1 DVI (which is the port I am using), 1 HDMI, and 1 Display port.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16814161296

I followed this post here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186249

I've since grabbed the legacyati4800controller.kext, placed in System/Library/Extentions (and then rebuild the kext cache), so I don't need to edit the ati4800controller.kext.

*update* D'Oh. No need for the DVI2VGA adapter at DVI-port at all. Also solves mouse stutter issue.

So my setup now is:

Powercolor 4850 full support with 10.6

Using netkas

QE_CI_Exotic_cards_10.6.1.pkg

and HDMI2DVI adapter going to DVI-monitor.

Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!

My 4850 has 1 DVI (which is the port I am using), 1 HDMI, and 1 Display port.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16814161296

I followed this post here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186249

I've since grabbed the legacyati4800controller.kext, placed in System/Library/Extentions (and then rebuild the kext cache), so I don't need to edit the ati4800controller.kext.

I just remembered I took one additional step. I added the graphics resolution to the com.apple.boot.plist

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1900x1200x32</string>

OK got 10.6.2 working. But It's kind of a dirty hack. First I tried the common Guides (Legacy4800 etc) but that didn't work for me. I ended up using two of netkas pkg's. I'm not sure if all of the steps are needed, but this works so what the heck...

*Only try this if other drivers are not working. I assume, as of now, Legacy4880 in Extra is best method because it will save you trouble on future updates.*

This is direct update from 10.6 to 10.6.2 with Powercolor HD4850 and PCEfi 10.5 with GraphicsEnabler

1. Get ComboUpgrade from apple http://support.apple.com/kb/DL959

2. Get these two pkg's from netkas exotic 10.6.2 exotic 10.6.1

3. Make sure you have NullCpu kext and disable SleepEnabler for updating. See netkas post for details http://netkas.org/?p=315

4. Do the update. Don't reboot.

5. After update Install QE_CI_Exotic_cards_10.6.1.pkg first then QE_CI_Exotic patch 10.6.2.pkg

6. Open Terminal and type

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/ATI4800Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist

find

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
		<string>0x94401002 0x944a1002 0x944c1002 0x944e1002 0x94411002 0x94431002 0x94601002</string>

add 4850 Device ID 0x94421002 like so:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
		<string>0x94421002 0x94401002 0x944a1002 0x944c1002 0x944e1002 0x94411002 0x94431002 0x94601002</string>

Save and Exit with ctrl-x, Y, enter

10. Reboot with -x flag. It should work now already. Reboot from safemode.

11. Done ;)

If we ask nicely maybe netkas can include devID into exotic 10.6.2 patch. Would make it easier.

OK got 10.6.2 working. But It's kind of a dirty hack. First I tried the common Guides (Legacy4800 etc) but that didn't work for me. I ended up using two of netkas pkg's. I'm not sure if all of the steps are needed, but this works so what the heck...

*Only try this if other drivers are not working. I assume, as of now, Legacy4880 in Extra is best method because it will save you trouble on future updates.*

This is direct update from 10.6 to 10.6.2 with Powercolor HD4850 and PCEfi 10.5 with GraphicsEnabler

1. Get ComboUpgrade from apple http://support.apple.com/kb/DL959

2. Get these two pkg's from netkas exotic 10.6.2 exotic 10.6.1

3. Make sure you have NullCpu kext and disable SleepEnabler for updating. See netkas post for details http://netkas.org/?p=315

4. Do the update. Don't reboot.

5. After update Install QE_CI_Exotic_cards_10.6.1.pkg first then QE_CI_Exotic patch 10.6.2.pkg

6. Open Terminal and type

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/ATI4800Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist

find

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
		   <string>0x94401002 0x944a1002 0x944c1002 0x944e1002 0x94411002 0x94431002 0x94601002</string>

add 4850 Device ID 0x94421002 like so:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
		   <string>0x94421002 0x94401002 0x944a1002 0x944c1002 0x944e1002 0x94411002 0x94431002 0x94601002</string>

Save and Exit with ctrl-x, Y, enter

10. Reboot with -x flag. It should work now already. Reboot from safemode.

11. Done :(

If we ask nicely maybe netkas can include devID into exotic 10.6.2 patch. Would make it easier.

The LegacyATI4800Controller.kext has the device id in it. It is used so you don't need to edit the one supplied by apple. It sounds like you are not rebuilding the /Extra/Extentions Kext Cache so the legacy kext isn't being used. When you are rebooting with the -x, I believe it only rebuilds the kext cache for the kexts in /System/Library/Extentions and not those in /Extra/Extentions. You can use Kext Utility http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647 build your kext cache.

You could try to put the Legacy kext in /System/Library/Extentions. It's where I put it and it works for me.

Anyway, congratulations on getting it working.

ah thanks, I thought /Extra was also getting done automatically with Snow. That explains it not working. Though -v showed something being done with /Extra.

On another note, how does OSX decide which kext to use? does it simply take the first kext with matching DevID? I ask, because I thought about making a bootable USB-Installation working for all kinds of Hardware to see if the PC is able to run OSX. I figure it's not as easy as putting all kexts you can find out there on the stick and pray that it boots, or is it?

ah thanks, I thought /Extra was also getting done automatically with Snow. That explains it not working. Though -v showed something being done with /Extra.

On another note, how does OSX decide which kext to use? does it simply take the first kext with matching DevID? I ask, because I thought about making a bootable USB-Installation working for all kinds of Hardware to see if the PC is able to run OSX. I figure it's not as easy as putting all kexts you can find out there on the stick and pray that it boots, or is it?

On an actual Mac, there is no /Extra directory. If I understand it correctly, the reason for putting some kexts into /Extra/Extensions is to keep the added kexts separate from the ones that come with the operating system.

The reason you see some info from /Extra when you boot up is probably because when you installed the operating system, you put some files in /Extra/Extensions, and built the kext cache. Those kexts will keep loading at every boot. If/When you put more Kexts into /Extra/Extensions and rebuild the kext cache, your new kexts will get included. Also, for the kexts to work, the ownerships and permissions must be correct.

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2009/09/permissions-kext-caches/

As far as how kexts load, I found this blurb from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...php/t36764.html

"Why Vendor and Device ID's

Every device that makes up a computer needs to have a unique identifier. The operating system uses this identifier to bind a driver to that device. The unique identifier is made up of an industry-assigned code for the vendor (manufacturer) of the device and a serial number for that device which is assigned by the vendor. Each of these two values is made up of 4 hexadecimal (hex) characters.

For instance, the vendor id of Intel is 0x8086, where the leading "0x" identifies this as a hex value. The actual vendor id is the 4 characters "8086".

OSX keeps a list of all vendor id's and device id's that are contained in the kexts installed in the system. When the computer is booted, OSX quizzes the ROM on each device to get its vendor and device id's. Then it uses its list to see if a match exists, and if it does, it binds the kext (driver) to that device."

You can try Empire EFI for your usb boot loader, but they have several versions depending on hardware. http://prasys.co.cc/2009/10/empire-efi/#more-2127

Bah, that's too bad. It didn't worked in here (my card has HDMI+DVI+VGA). All I have is a garbled screen and ATI4800Controller.kext not being load at boot time. I had reinstalled OSX from scratch, manually created new kext caches, removed caches and left OSX to generate new ones, no go.

*sigh* Need to find someone to buy my card so I can buy a new one with 2 DVIs.

Bah, that's too bad. It didn't worked in here (my card has HDMI+DVI+VGA). All I have is a garbled screen and ATI4800Controller.kext not being load at boot time. I had reinstalled OSX from scratch, manually created new kext caches, removed caches and left OSX to generate new ones, no go.

*sigh* Need to find someone to buy my card so I can buy a new one with 2 DVIs.

How about you tell us what you've done in detail so we can make suggestions? It seems that all of our developers have taken this week off so I don't have much to do. Troubleshooting someone's video card issue might keep me awake at work. ;-)

Have you tried the exotic cards packages mentioned by h4x9000? Did you put the LegacyATI4800Controller.kext into /System/Library/Extensions or did you add the device id to ATI4800Controller.kext in that Directory?

How about you tell us what you've done in detail so we can make suggestions? It seems that all of our developers have taken this week off so I don't have much to do. Troubleshooting someone's video card issue might keep me awake at work. ;-)

Have you tried the exotic cards packages mentioned by h4x9000? Did you put the LegacyATI4800Controller.kext into /System/Library/Extensions or did you add the device id to ATI4800Controller.kext in that Directory?

Sure, let me enumerate all tries -- hopefully they will be as much informative as possible. Also, on each of them, I tried the following video connectors' combinations on 3 different, simultaneous screens (it took me a hell of time and over 50 reboots):

+ DVI cable

+ HDMI cable

+ VGA cable

+ DVI to VGA dongle

+ HDMI to DVI dongle

+ DVI to VGA dongle + HDMI cable

+ DVI to VGA dongle + VGA cable

+ HDMI to DVI dongle + DVI cable

+ HDMI to DVI dongle + VGA cable

+ HDMI to DVI dongle + DVI to VGA dongle

+ HDMI cable + DVI cable + VGA cable

+ HDMI cable + DVI to VGA dongle + VGA cable

+ HDMI to DVI dongle + DVI cable + VGA cable

+ HDMI to DVI dongle + DVI to VGA dongle + VGA cable

From all the above combinations, I found QE/CI working when SL was accessed via VNC if a DVI cable was plugged on at OSX boot time. All other combinations gave me a desktop without QE/CI -- when not having a garbled screen.

1st try: Black screen (QE/CI working with monitor on DVI, when SL acessed via VNC)

- Clean 10.6 install from inside 10.5.7 (using img mount)

- Updated Chameleon to 2.0RC4: boot files installed on SL partition; SL partition set as active

- Added EnableGraphics=True on /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

- Added netkas' FakeSMC.kext to /Extra/Extensions

- Added DSDT.aml to fix AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

- Reboot (booted with -x)

- Applied 10.6.2 ComboUpdate

- Added netkas' LegacyATI4800Controller.kext to /Extra/Extensions

- Ran Kext Utility to create fresh caches

- Reboot (booted with -v -f)

2nd try: Garbled screen (Unable to connect via VNC, SSH working)

- Created a backup of all 10.6.2 vanilla ATI*.kext

- Removed EnableGraphics=True from /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

- Added EVOEnabler.kext to /Extra/Extensions

3rd try: Black Screen (QE/CI working with monitor on DVI, when SL acessed via VNC)

- Removed EVOEnabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions

- Removed netkas' LegacyATI4800Controller.kext from /Extra/Extensions

- Edited ATI4800Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist to add ATI 4850 card ID (0x94421002) to device lists

4th try: Garbled screen (Unable to connect via VNC, SSH working)

- Installed qe_ci_exotic_patch_10.6.1.pkg

- Installed qe_ci_exotic_patch_10.6.2.pkg

5th try: Garbled screen (Unable to connect via VNC, SSH working)

- Restored all ATI*.kext to vanilla 10.6.2 from backup

- Removed all ATI??00Controller.kext

- Restored ATI4800Controller.kext to vanilla 10.6.2 from backup

6th try: Garbled screen (Unable to connect via VNC, SSH working)

- Reverted all ATI*.kext to vanilla 10.6.2 from backups

- Installed 10.5.8 ATI*.kext

- Added ATY_Init.kext to /Extra/Extensions

- Removed netkas' LegacyATI4800Controller.kext from /Extra/Extensions

7th try: Garbled screen (Unable to connect via VNC, SSH working)

- Clean 10.6 install from inside 10.5.7 (using img mount)

- Updated Chameleon to 2.0RC4: boot files installed on SL partition; SL partition set as active

- Added netkas' FakeSMC.kext to /Extra/Extensions

- Added DSDT.aml to fix AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

- Reboot (booted with -x)

- Applied 10.6.2 ComboUpdate

- Installed netkas' qe_ci_exotic_patch_10.6.1.pkg

- Installed netkas' qe_ci_exotic_patch_10.6.2.pkg

Let me know if I skipped any needed step. Or if I should do any other test. Unfortunately -- to me -- I have tried all scenarios and advices I could find.

Hope I have not bored you instead of awaking ;)

I notice two things. You are using Chameleon RC4 instead of RC3 and pci_efi 5 and you have a P55 motherboard. Neither are problems with 10.6.2, I just need to look up some information.

I see that you only put kexts in /Extra/Extensions and not in /System/Library/Extentions. From reading this forum post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186249, I see that someone says that evoenabler.kext works better in /S/L/E because it is a 64 bit kext only.

"2. I downloaded Kexthelper and installed Evoenabler.kext and modified ATI4800Controller.kext

(I did this because I read in the digital_dreamer install thread that Evoenabler doesn't work in /Extra, as it's an x86_64 file and needs to be in /System, and as modifed ATI4800Controller.kext also showed as this type I reinstalled that."

So I would grab the LegacyATI4800Controller.kext and the EvoEnabler.kext and put them in /System/Library/Extensions, make sure the ownerships are root wheel, rebuild the kext cache, and see how that works.

You might want to look at chameleon's website: chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/chameleon-20-rc4-is-out

(I am removing the http:// from the links because it is giving me an error about not allowing links)

It is possible that your pci root should be set to 1 instead of zero in which case you would need to edit your boot.plist with this:

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

I see that there is a website for p55 hackintoshs: tonymacx86.blogspot.com

The latest post talks about a modified chameleon RC4 boot file that mentions this:

"This version of the Chameleon 2.0 RC4 incorporates some of the

GraphicsEnabler features of netkas' PC-EFI 10.5 fork for more advanced

cards. If you have tried RC4 without success for your graphics card,

now is the time to give it another chance. For more information, check

out this post. Special thanks to rekursor!"

So maybe this bootfile will get the GraphicsEnabler option to work.

I also notice that they have a dsdt.aml file for your motherboard here: tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/dsdt-database-for-p55-motherboards.html

I notice two things. You are using Chameleon RC4 instead of RC3 and pci_efi 5 and you have a P55 motherboard. Neither are problems with 10.6.2, I just need to look up some information.

I see that you only put kexts in /Extra/Extensions and not in /System/Library/Extentions. From reading this forum post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186249, I see that someone says that evoenabler.kext works better in /S/L/E because it is a 64 bit kext only.

"2. I downloaded Kexthelper and installed Evoenabler.kext and modified ATI4800Controller.kext

(I did this because I read in the digital_dreamer install thread that Evoenabler doesn't work in /Extra, as it's an x86_64 file and needs to be in /System, and as modifed ATI4800Controller.kext also showed as this type I reinstalled that."

So I would grab the LegacyATI4800Controller.kext and the EvoEnabler.kext and put them in /System/Library/Extensions, make sure the ownerships are root wheel, rebuild the kext cache, and see how that works.

You might want to look at chameleon's website: chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/chameleon-20-rc4-is-out

(I am removing the http:// from the links because it is giving me an error about not allowing links)

It is possible that your pci root should be set to 1 instead of zero in which case you would need to edit your boot.plist with this:

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

I see that there is a website for p55 hackintoshs: tonymacx86.blogspot.com

The latest post talks about a modified chameleon RC4 boot file that mentions this:

"This version of the Chameleon 2.0 RC4 incorporates some of the

GraphicsEnabler features of netkas' PC-EFI 10.5 fork for more advanced

cards. If you have tried RC4 without success for your graphics card,

now is the time to give it another chance. For more information, check

out this post. Special thanks to rekursor!"

So maybe this bootfile will get the GraphicsEnabler option to work.

I also notice that they have a dsdt.aml file for your motherboard here: tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/dsdt-database-for-p55-motherboards.html

I do follow TonyMac P55 blog. The DSDT file for my motherboard was submitted by me -- but I did sent him the vanilla one, as I was hoping to get my rig fully operational before start hacking DSDT and then sharing a truly good one. Also, there were like 3 BIOS updates from ASUS in December alone, fixing or improving something. Until things get more stable, better to figure out how to fix my HD4800 card than rushing to DSDT.

Regarding Chameleon RC3 and PC_EFI v10.5, I don't think it may be of much help -- in fact, I had spent quite some time with PC_EFI v10.5 sources before updating to Chameleon RC4. Same as with rekursor's boot file. There are a ton of variables I did not wrote down and I probably either skipped or missed. For now I guess my current best bet is the x86_64 extensions supposedly not working on /Extra -- this is definitively worth a try. Same as with PciRoot, I completely forgot which one is right to my rig.

Rebooting time, wish me luck. And thanks for the tips -- my head is hurting already trying to cover all bases :rolleyes:

According to some hints I got the Sapphire 4850 1GB DVI,HDMI,VGA partly working.

Did this:

Partition the hd with two partions

Initial installation of 10.6. with the help of a GF7300,

removal of ATI*.kext from /S/L/E. This allow the 4850 card work only in FB-mode.

Important: set up the net first! You will ned this later.

Enabled screensharing to control the graphics settings via the net.

Updated to 10.6.1 , saved in the first partition for rescue purpose.

Copied over this partition to the seond part of the drive.

Time to swap out the 7300 and swap in the 4850.

Got the DSDT by installing Chameleon 2 from Iatkos 10.5.7-DVD (copied this file to each partiton).

Therafter did the boot from prepared USB-Stick with 10.6 and minimal kext's in /extra.

Ran myhackinstaller_1.0_RC4.1, gave me boot from HD.

Had do give at every boot "-f -v -x arch=386 X32" to cmd-line to reach the login window in secured mode later.

Found both LCD (DVI and VGA) nonfunctional due to wrong signals. each at (verticaly) 40kHz and (horizontaly) 40Hz.

As long as I had no working output to the LCD I rectified this via remote access after each boot.

Booted in to secured mode wrote "Graphics Mode" into com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra and /S/L/Preferences/Systemconfiguration.

Both files with key Graphics Mode 1280x1024x32@75.

Installed ATY_Init to /E/E and Evoenabler to /S/L/E. (Maybe this do intialization twice)

Took the stock ATI-files from 10.6.2 to /S/L/E (ripped of from SL on my Macbook).

Did the update to 10.6.2 with no harm.

Edited 4800Controller.kext in /S/L/E with ID 1002 9442.

Switched from remote the settings in menu preferences to 1280x1024@75 Hz.

This gave a working screen.

The most powerfull step: install switchres.

Made suitable settings for each port, VGA and DVI.

Had to create the settings each with 75 Hz. Otherwise the LCD wont work. Tried 3 different models, having two from LG one from Xerox with same result. The real signal output is now at 60 Hz.

You may use switresx to redirekt nonfunktional settings to the suitable you created before.

Unfortunaly for now I got the card working only with one port at the time.

The card is swapping everytime automaticaly to the last connected screen.

Now I have full CE/QE and reduced CPU usage while playing videos. CPU load reduced to the half using a rig with Pentium Dual Core E6300 together with the 4850 compared to my MacBook with C2D 2,2 GHz and Intel GMA 950.

Not to mention this rig is working with full HD resolution at my big TV via DVI to HDMI adapter.

HDMI not working for now, got no response (EDID) from the port.

May do this later with the help of switchresx.

Took this notes here to point out what may be helpfull for someone, not as complete guide, you know? ;-)

One note aside: I had to remove voodoo.kext for ALC883. This kext led to stuttering video playback at doubled speed.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting this. I have this Powercolor card as well and was able to get it running in 10.6.2.

Now the next mission is to get dual monitors working. Is there any hope in this?

Direct HDMI out works right now. Display Port is a no go and DVI is a no go.

I'd like to get at least DVI working. Thanks.

has anyone gotten this to work with an ati 4870 card?

i have the sapphire ati 4870 with 1dvi, 1hdmi and 1vga.

would absolutely love to get this working on it.

i can only get 1dvi to work. or 1vga to work, never two at the same time.

any tips or help is greatly appreciated!!