Snow Leopard on P5KPL-CM - Please HELP!

mrmoebius

7 posts in this topic

I have an ASUS P5KPL-CM and have installed Leopard 10.5 easily with numerous boot discs, more recently Kalyway and iAtkos v7. I can install and run Vanilla kernel no problems and don't have to do anything more than the usual sound and video injection etc.

Strangely enough I can't get Snow Leopard to install at all. I've tried 3 versions of Empire EFI and I can't even boot with it, getting a memory allocation error (0xdeadbeef)... I even tried Empire EFI legacy versions with the same bad luck.

I've tried the "SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM-v3.5" and the "Snow Leopard 10.6.1-10.6.2 SSE2 SSE3 Intel AMD by Hazard" and they will boot and install but the machine won't start afterwards, just hanging on the boot cursor.

Please if anyone has a P5KPL-CM and successfully installed it, please advise on BIOS settings, what installer you used, and what options you selected. I'm getting really frustrated with this; it's hard to believe that a motherboard that works so cleanly with 10.5.8 should be so hard to get to boot with 10.6!

Thanks in advance everyone!!

MrMoebius

<br />I have an ASUS P5KPL-CM and have installed Leopard 10.5 easily with numerous boot discs, more recently Kalyway and iAtkos v7. I can install and run Vanilla kernel no problems and don't have to do anything more than the usual sound and video injection etc.<br /><br />Strangely enough I can't get Snow Leopard to install at all. I've tried 3 versions of Empire EFI and I can't even boot with it, getting a memory allocation error (0xdeadbeef)... I even tried Empire EFI legacy versions with the same bad luck.<br /><br />I've tried the "SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM-v3.5" and the "Snow Leopard 10.6.1-10.6.2 SSE2 SSE3 Intel AMD by Hazard" and they will boot and install but the machine won't start afterwards, just hanging on the boot cursor.<br /><br />Please if anyone has a P5KPL-CM and successfully installed it, please advise on BIOS settings, what installer you used, and what options you selected. I'm getting really frustrated with this; it's hard to believe that a motherboard that works so cleanly with 10.5.8 should be so hard to get to boot with 10.6!<br /><br />Thanks in advance everyone!!<br /><br />MrMoebius<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Do the myhack installer..working flawlessly...

1. buy a cheap vga not built in, nvidia 7200GS in my rig work flawlessly, and usb 8gb.

2. Download myhack installer on http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2009/10/myhack...rc4-1-released/ ,

and please take time to read how to install it and driver for VoodooHDA and AttansicL2 kext in www.kexts.com

3. Make sure you have a leopard installed for extracting the image dvd to usb, read the manual, do it with diskutility on working leopard / mac

4. after extracting, install the myhack with TARGET ON USB! NOT YOUR LEOPARD!

Choose customize: pick Graphics Enabler, PII ATA, NullCPU, PS/2 [if you use the ps/2 keyb or mouse], AppleRTC, FakeSMC, haltfix, UUID.

For now, just dont use Sleep Enabler. Disabler off, of Graphics enabler on or com.boot.plist on and you have a good VGA card.

GMA 3100 not supported here

5. reboot, choose the usb extracted to booting with F8.

6. install as MBR, or GUID. i suggest all partition should be primary. if not you can have a data loss.

7. after successfull install, reboot again using usb with F8, but pick the partition you installed.

8. dsdt.aml looks not needed. [bIOS setting: ACPI all on and Speedstep on], create the folder "Extra" on root of your partition and inside it create folder "Extensions", put the voodoHDA here, and AttansicL2 kext also.

9. install my hack from the USB you have extracted also the DVD image. but the target is on your new mac partition now!

10. reboot..Voila you have installed 10.6

For upgrading to 10.6.1 There's no problem, also with 10.6.2, But don't use the sleep enabler....

TO USE SLEEP on 10.6.0 to 10.6.1, use the chameleon 1 RC3 as the myhack installer 1.0 RC4, and SleepEnabler 10.6.0

TO USE SLEEP on 10.6.2, use the newest chameleon 1 RC4 and SleepEnabler 10.6.0

put on the folder Extra/Extensions on the root, go to terminal, type "sudo -s" the password, the ./pfix for install the new kext driver on [/]

For enabling Sleep on ICH7, go to System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents using terminal, type pico Info.plist,

put the LPC address [i forgot the address, since the my P5KPL-CM is on the office, now i am at home], use lspci or EVox86tool, and again use /pfix on root.

Enjoy

• 2 months later...
unfortunately on 10.6.2 ,the sleep progress is still under testing...my system gots lockups today.

only my other mobo that can sleep, dont use sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.2, i 'll check later if it go....

Sorry about the delay responding.

I wasn't able to get it to work with the method you described, or any revisions of Empire EFI that have come out since my original post (up to 1.085R2)

However, I did find a distro called Snow Pegasus that works more or less fine. I select default options, Azalia Audio and NVEnabler and it's all it needs to go. I still have to iron out some glitches with it though, because it crashes when I use my software RAID (external) drive, and sometimes it just panics for no reason when it otherwise looks like it's running fine.

I'm hoping it will be just a matter of finding the right combination of kexts and/or fixes. Fingers are crossed that it doesn't become more complicated between 32 and 64 bit versions!!

Moeb

• 3 months later...

Hey guys! I have a problem, first of all I apologize for my bad English, are two weeks I try to install Snow Leopard RETAIL, in the signature of the computer, I tried to follow a guide for ASUS P5Q, after I found a guide for ASUS P5KPL series but in the end after installing Leopard will not start ... now I have found this topic, I followed the instructions Babiloe but not all fixes were included in the package myHack 1.1, I installed it on my USB and then I reset the DVD image on it, after reboot I chose to boot from usb but bootloader when I press enter, it appears a gray screen with the apple without loading in verbose mode the screen goes black, I tried to add cpus = 1 and = 15 busratio but nothing does not start the installation, I missed something?