BIOS locks up after OSx86 installation [solved]

jam86

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I've got the following problem:

I can install Mac OS x86 10.4.4 (I think it was a maxxus patched DVD) without problems. After successful installation I can reboot and on the first BIOS screen my PC hangs. The BIOS detects the OS X harddrive and the CDROM, but then it stops continuing. The BIOS tells me that I can press several keys, e. g. to get into the BIOS. When I press a key, the BIOS tells me "Entering Setup...", but then I doesn't do anything. This problem is prompted by the harddrive. If I format the harddrive or take it out of the computer (I've got removable drives), the BIOS just behaves normal.

Now I have to admit that I have installed OS X solely on the harddrive. No Windows partition, no Linux partition. And in the OS X installation I formated the harddrive with "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)".

I have booted the PC with Slackware Linux (from CD) and mounted the OS X HD after POST. I can access the OS X HD with fdisk. It tells me the "System" is "EFI GPT". Uhm yes... Now I have a BIOS, not EFI :-/

And it tells me: "The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1750. There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024 [...]"

I've read the tutorials and all of them say I have to use Windows or Linux and several other applications (like Partition Magic...). Now you surely ask youself why I'm not using Windows. The reason is, that I want to use the PC with Mac OS X, only. Okay, If there's no other way, I'll create a small Windows or Linux partition and do what the tutorials say, but isn't it possible to install OS X solely on my HD?

For understanding: I've got a aluminium PowerBook G4 1,5 Ghz, it runs just fine and I like it, but I think that a well configured OS X on my PC will run faster.

Another reason is, that I was a Mac user all my life. I don't like Windows. Linux is okay, but you always sit hours in front of it till something runs well (compiling, dependecies, troubleshooting etc...).

For further analysis, here are my tech specs:

- Athlon 64 3200+ (Clawhammer); Socket 754

- Biostar Mainboard with VIA K8T890 Chipset; latest BIOS (some Phoenix BIOS I think)

- ATI Radeon x800GT PCI-E

- IBM DTTA 14,1 GB HD

- 2x 512 MB TwinMos RAM

- Onboard AC97 sound

- Onboard 10/100 MBit Realtek network

And I have this equipment installed on/attached to my Mac, if that helps solving the problem:

- an external 5 1/4" Firewire case which I can use with removable drives (means I can put the OSx86 HD in it and mount it)

- Virtual PC 7 with Partition Magic

Okay, I hope you can help me :)

regards

Jam

I've had this problem before. Unplug all of your disk drives and cd drives and see what it does. If it goes through the BIOS and asks for a boot device, you'll know that you're BIOS is okay.

Hey,

Yeah sure, but what's the use of that? If I unplug all drives, I can't load a system. The PC I'm talking about runs flawless with Slackware 10.2 and Windows XP x64. So the BIOS has no problems. And it runs flawless with all drives. The BIOS just locks up when OSx86 is installed :)

regards

Jam

Problem solved. Here's what I've done:

1. downloaded and burned SRCD from http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

2. partitioned my HD with qparted from the SRCD (fat32 format)

3. installed OS X

4. strangely the BIOS didn't lock up after installation ;-)

5. then booted the SRCD again and activated the partition

OS X boots flawless now, I'm REALLY REALLY impressed by the performance and speed

yeah =)