MacBook or MBP?

12 posts in this topic

I was asking myself the exact same question two weeks ago: I went with the macbook for a number of reasons.

1. I have a gaming pc and for me the only reason for dedicated graphics is gaming really.

2. My desktop machine is where I do most of my photography work, so the extra screen space didn't matter.

3. I'm of the opinion that the current MBP is a transitional model and I hate buying a Mac model to have it entirely replaced in a month or two.

4. While the macbook is not free of first gen problems, the MBP seems to still be really plagued by them.

5. I like the styling of the MB better than the MBP

6. All that said, the $700 starting looking like a whole lot of $.

They are both great machines, you just have to figure out what works best in your situation.

I have to agree with infnite (minus the quad core part), unless you have money to burn or a real need to get one now I would wait until a few months before you go to college. You'll get more bang for your buck if you wait. If you're inpatient remember the next generation of intel cores is supposed to be alot faster and at the WWDC in august they will be showing 10.5. Hopefully it will be released and available shortly after that. if you wait until then you won't have to shell out more $$ for the upgrade from tiger. That's pretty much what i'm waiting on right now.

I'd certainly agree that if you're leaning toward a MBP, you ought to wait--I think we'll see some real significant changes in the nrar future.

If you're thinking MB, though, I'm not sure what you would need to wait on. It is true that in 6 months, there are likely to be faster versions of the MB, but that is nearly always the case. As long as you're happy with the current form factor and the current speed is acceptable to you, go for it.

YMMV, of course.

Hey everyone,

First time poster here. Here it goes.

I've been stuck on this for a while now. In a year from now I'll be off to college and need a decent laptop to go with me. I've been comparing the MB to the MBP and you can get each of the 2Ghz machines for a difference of $700. Basically, to me, this $700 offers 2 inches of screen space and dedicated graphics. The two inches of space barely matters to me as much as the graphics do.

While I'm there I will want to game a fair amount, but not too seriously. I want to get a laptop that will service my studies as well as a little bit of gaming. Now, I'm just not quite sure if $700 is really worth playing the occasional game or two.

I wouldn't mind any of today's generation games or the next gen games on lowest settings and I will most likely bring up a 17" monitor. I know this is thinking ahead a bit as I'm still a soon-to-be-senior in HS but I might get the laptop earlier than even next summer. Maybe the integrated intel graphics in the MB will be upgraded by then.

I also have a pretty decent gaming PC tower with me right now. I dunno if that'd be worth bringing up with me. Seems like too much.

Thanks for your ideas.

Still waiting for Merom,

William

Being back from my first year in college, I can tell you one thing, a laptop is a hell of alot easier to bring back and forth between college and home.

Also, alot of people bring their laptops to class for those teachers that lecture off a power point or something.

That being said, I bought an imac ;p

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also deciding on what type of Mac computer to buy. I want to buy a Macbook because of its mobility, but i'm put off about the size of the screen.. Is the screen really 13" tall & wide? Or do they measure it some werid way? (Which I think they do) If they do measure it in a werid way, can anyone provide the specs for the 13" Macbook (Height & Width)? Thank You!

I thnk the MBP should be rev 2 and available by September at the same price points of the now MBP with the 15.4 being $1500, (for 1.83) and $2000 for 15.4 memron/conroe and MB should drop to 999, 1100 and 1299.

That would be a smart move on Apples part.

peace

I bought my first Mac a few weeks ago which is a Black MacBook. I updated the ram to 1GB. If i had $500 dollars to do it over again and upgrade to 2GB, i would rather spend the money on a bigger hard drive and a ton of other stuff. 1GB of ram works as fast as i could ask for. I haven't gotten real heavy into bigger aps like CS2 but i have not seen any slow downs at all. This laptop works faster than any of my desktop PC's by far and that's in every signle aspect. I don't believe they will get a whole lot faster in the way of laptops, but i personally don't care. I'm not going to wait half a year for something very minimal to me. I don't game on any of my computers (that's why i have a 360) so i don't know how that works. My sister has a 15'' laptop and i'd never ever want something that big. The size has never became an issue but i did go ahead and spend $20 for the DVI adpater so i've got 17''+13.3'' when i'm at home. I'd say go for the MacBook and spend some extra for the performance.

Also i'll have CS2 and some other heavy apps to test out and see how fast they work and i'll let you know.