rEFIt reinstall problem

lixuelai

4 posts in this topic

refit somehow stopped working on my 2.4GHz Unibody MBP. Tried reinstalling to no avail. It just goes straight into OSX and I have to hold down option to get the default Mac OS selector. Tried reinstalling everything and still no go. Here is my partition analyzer output:

*** Report for internal hard disk ***

Current GPT partition table:

# Start LBA End LBA Type

1 40 409639 EFI System (FAT)

2 409640 312623143 Mac OS X HFS+

3 312887296 625141759 Basic Data

Current MBR partition table:

# A Start LBA End LBA Type

1 1 409639 ee EFI Protective

2 409640 312623143 af Mac OS X HFS+

3 * 312887296 625141759 07 NTFS/HPFS

MBR contents:

Boot Code: Unknown, but bootable

Partition at LBA 40:

Boot Code: None (Non-system disk message)

File System: FAT32

Listed in GPT as partition 1, type EFI System (FAT)

Partition at LBA 409640:

Boot Code: None

File System: HFS Extended (HFS+)

Listed in GPT as partition 2, type Mac OS X HFS+

Listed in MBR as partition 2, type af Mac OS X HFS+

Partition at LBA 312887296:

Boot Code: Windows BOOTMGR (Vista)

File System: NTFS

Listed in GPT as partition 3, type Basic Data

Listed in MBR as partition 3, type 07 NTFS/HPFS, active

this is most likely caused by using the bootcamp selector from inside windows to reboot into osx, or from inside osx using the utility that chooses your boot device.

simple solution:

Never use the 2 methods above to reboot your system into the other OS unless you want to break rEFIt.

Always use Start --> shutdown/restart/hibernate/sleep whichever you need or Apple menu --> shutdown/restart/sleep.

To fix your rEFIt just go to the drive you installed it to (most likely Macintosh HD) and open the EFI folder and open the REFIT folder and look for "enable-always.sh"

now open Terminal and drag and drop "enable-always.sh" into Terminal

Terminal will need your root password, enter it then reboot and you will see rEFIt.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, thats strange. Can you boot into win7 by holding down the option key? rEFIt does some strange things sometimes. When I had it installed in a very similar situation it would always show two windows drives. I wonder if chameleons boot loader would work for you.

NO! you never ever put a hackintosh bootloader such as chameleon on a real mac! it will screw up your boot up.

he should be able to boot to win7 by holding option key the win7 bootloader is installed to the efi style "reserved partition" that will be the one to boot from.