GeForce 7600 & 10.6.2

ed_c

9 posts in this topic

Hi

This has been driving me nuts, I have installed 10.6.2 onto a Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L motherboard using the USB stick method. I have loaded a few kexts into Extra (FakeSMC, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID) I have edited the DSDT file to include some information for my graphics card so that it is identified as an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS with 256MB RAM.

After this Quartz Extreme appears to be working as I get the ripple transitions under dashboard. However I noticed HD quicktime playback was very poor and that my machine was not reporting an OpenCL processor renderer. All benchmarks resulted in the use of the 'Apple Software Renderer'

Could anyone provide any hints, I did try installing nvinject but that completely broke QE.

Is there an issue with the GeForce 7600 and 10.6?

Thanks

Ed

Hi

I'm running 10.6 (haven't updated yet) retail installation with a nVidia GeForce 7600GS 256MB. All works fine - runs a 5GB 1080P Quicktime HD music video well, only slight lag when pausing and unpausing but other than that it runs just fine.

My system can run 64-bit but I'm using a DVI and a VGA monitor and after trying many different kexts and efi strings all that's worked is a 32-bit 7300 kext made specifically for running one DVI and one VGA monitor.

Hi

This has been driving me nuts, I have installed 10.6.2 onto a Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L motherboard using the USB stick method. I have loaded a few kexts into Extra (FakeSMC, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID) I have edited the DSDT file to include some information for my graphics card so that it is identified as an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS with 256MB RAM.

After this Quartz Extreme appears to be working as I get the ripple transitions under dashboard. However I noticed HD quicktime playback was very poor and that my machine was not reporting an OpenCL processor renderer. All benchmarks resulted in the use of the 'Apple Software Renderer'

Could anyone provide any hints, I did try installing nvinject but that completely broke QE.

Is there an issue with the GeForce 7600 and 10.6?

Thanks

Ed

In 64bit mode?

All resolved.

First up I was gettign confused between openCI and openGL, the 7600 is not supported by Open CI.

Secondly I started at the beginning and edited my DSDT file carefully, removed all the natit and plist modifications and it worked. So all fixed.

HD videos playing nicely in QT and VLC, just a shame about the atrocious performance from Flash - hopefully Flash 10.1 will support proper h264 hardware acceleration on Macs too...

Thanks

Ed

• 3 weeks later...
All resolved.

First up I was gettign confused between openCI and openGL, the 7600 is not supported by Open CI.

Secondly I started at the beginning and edited my DSDT file carefully, removed all the natit and plist modifications and it worked. So all fixed.

HD videos playing nicely in QT and VLC, just a shame about the atrocious performance from Flash - hopefully Flash 10.1 will support proper h264 hardware acceleration on Macs too...

Thanks

Ed

Care to share??? I am having the same issue. I have 2 7600's I'd like to run, but 1st I'd like to get the primary card working with QE/CI They worked great under 10.5 but Whew 10.6 is a beast. LOL.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hey :D

I have also the same kind of problems, no graphic acceleration at all.

I succeeded to change the resolution in editing the boot.list file but it's poor fix, the real graphic acceleration is not here :/

If someone has an idea !

TIA :D

Btw, how one edits the DSDT file please ?

• 2 months later...
Care to share??? I am having the same issue. I have 2 7600's I'd like to run, but 1st I'd like to get the primary card working with QE/CI They worked great under 10.5 but Whew 10.6 is a beast. LOL.

Thanks.

Any luck on this? Kalyway 10.5.2 was working perfectly with QE and NVinject. I loaded up 10.6, copied the exact same NVinject driver over and now QE won't work (under 10.6, to be clear). It identifies the 7600 with or without the EFI, sees the correct amt of ram (256), but simply no QE. I'm wondering if it might have something to do with Chameleon as I wasn't using that bootloader under 10.5.... GraphicsEnabler option doesn't seem to do anything....

• 1 month later...
Any luck on this? Kalyway 10.5.2 was working perfectly with QE and NVinject. I loaded up 10.6, copied the exact same NVinject driver over and now QE won't work (under 10.6, to be clear). It identifies the 7600 with or without the EFI, sees the correct amt of ram (256), but simply no QE. I'm wondering if it might have something to do with Chameleon as I wasn't using that bootloader under 10.5.... GraphicsEnabler option doesn't seem to do anything....

i have the same problem , under osx 10.6.2 iportable , my gefoce 7600 does't work.