Dell Studio XPS 16 (radeon HD4670)

goorioles747

12 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
I get 10.6 installed with -v -x. I upgrade to 10.6.2 and get garbled screen on boot even in safe mode. Goning to try a new ISO that is 10.6.2 merged and will post back my success/failure.

Garbled screen means that it loaded a video driver that doesn't work so well with your video card. If you know which kext works with your video card under 10.6.1 then go back in there under safe mode or single user and delete the any ATI kexts (Given that your video card is an ATI).

Hi,

has anyone managed to get it to boot (without the cd)? I went the retail route and i got it to install but that's about it. I tried Chameleon RC3, RC2 and nothing was successful so far.

@gripa - No QE/CI in 10.6 as it isn't until 10.6.2 that the support for 4670 mobility (new iMacs) got added

@dekozi - I tried that before but maybe i deleted the wrong kext (ATI2000.kext) as I got kernel panics on the next boot from dependencies not being filled.

Bit more info. I get the Hazard 10.6.2 to install no problem. Reboot after install works nice but right before it would get to a desktop screen I see the video switch quickly to whats looks like 1920x1080 but then screen goes black. I have tried booting with VGA connected and with HDMI connected and still get black screen. I think that since the new imacs are using our video card that it is defaulting to the DisplayPort connection which is the only one I have not tried because I dont have that type of input on any monitor I have.

• 1 month later...
Garbled screen means that it loaded a video driver that doesn't work so well with your video card. If you know which kext works with your video card under 10.6.1 then go back in there under safe mode or single user and delete the any ATI kexts (Given that your video card is an ATI).

Hi,

has anyone managed to get it to boot (without the cd)? I went the retail route and i got it to install but that's about it. I tried Chameleon RC3, RC2 and nothing was successful so far.

My system configs: Dell XPS 1640

- 2.4 GHZ

- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670

- 6 GB Ram 1066MHZ

But no luck with install, what ISO did you use to install?

i did tried 3 rebel EFI, i got still waiting for root device error or Firewire 0000000000 error

do you get QE/CI, HDMI/DP and all the resolutions on 10.6?

i did not manage to install, what booting CD rebel efi did you use

i have

My system configs: Dell XPS 1640

- 2.4 GHZ

- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670

- 4 GB Ram 1066MHZ

• 3 months later...

First:Sorry for taking that old thread for my reasons!

But I'm trying to install Snow Leopard on my Dell Studio XPS 1640 too...

My specs:

CPU: Intel T9600 2x2,8 GHz

RAM: 4 GB

Gfx: Ati Mobility Radeon HD 4670

I always get Firewire GUID invalid errors with any of the different install DVD...