Wireless Card detected in Sys. Profiler, but not in Network pref.

fresch

3 posts in this topic

i just built my Hackintosh, and was about to choose a wireless PCI card.

Everyone recommended the Asus WL-138g V2, as it works out of the box with OSX.

Well, not here.

When i look in my system profiler it looks like this:

wire1.png

But, when i take a look at the System Preferences, under Network, i cant find Airport anywhere, not even when i want to add a new network connection..

wire2.png

How do i get it to work?

i am on Os X Snow Leopard 10.6.1, installed vanilla with Boot123, and running Chameleon bootloader.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump...

Same issue, only I'm trying D-Link DWA-552 with SL 10.6.2

I had a Netgear card working up till 10.6.1, but I thought with 6.2 I would have a go with my D-Link that I bought in the past, but could never get working without a complete desktop freeze.

Now I just want anything to work at all... I don't even care which. I've tried uninstalling both, shutting down, restarting, then shutting down, and reinstalling both cards (one at a time using same method) Hoping that when I start System Preference would finally see it.

I have ArthosFix.kext with both cards dev-ids.

Any help please

I rely on the D-Link 556 card for my desktop under MacOS X.

Perhaps you are booting in 64-bit kernel/extensions mode. Since the Atheros WIFI chipsets are considered "legacy", i.e. older than the Broadcom chips that have shipped in all but the first two generations, Apple didn't provide 64-bit drivers in 10.6.1, but did manage to include them for 10.6.2.

Please note that I have NEVER had to patch MacOS X in order to see/use my WIFI cards as airports...I use exclusively AR5008, AR5008X, and BCM904322 chipsets.

I believe both the cards you two are referring to are AR5008 cards.

Also, note that I always install retail, which can take longer to get working/installing, but is well worth the extra time up front so that I don't have to remove drivers one by one later on.

I find that keeping your kexts limited to fakesmc, nullcpu if you need it, piixata if you need it, ps2 if you need it, and an audio fix is all that is needed for a fully functioning system. Aside from that I've only occasionally needed kexts for wired ethernet cards. All video drivers should be done via boot.plist/EFI strings/EFI injector option in bootloader. I only use a script to mod the Intel drivers on my netbook. Another more conventional GMA950 system works fine.

By the way, I run OSX86 on 4 PCs, an Acer AOD150, Tosh Tecra M7, Dell Prec M4400, and an Asus P5E3 mobo. I should hope I might know what I'm talking about!