Macbook Hard Drive Upgrade

6 posts in this topic

I have one of the Unibody Macbook 13" laptops, and I am soon going to replace my hard drive. I was looking at a 640 GB hard drive, but on Apple's Website, it says "Up to 500GB." Is this just because Samsung does not have an apple-branded harddrive, or will the macbook not recognize the harddrive? any help would be greatly appreciated

I have the new unibody plastic macbook too. It's a fine machine. The first thing i did was doubling the ram from 2 gb to 4 gb and building a bigger HD in this machine.

Sure, there is no problem with the 640GB Scorpio Blue from WD, you can savely replace the HD with this, no problem as long as the HD is 9,5 mm height (which it is).

• 5 months later...

Has anyone here had issues with the WD10TPVT: Western Digital 1tb? I bought one for my 15" Macbook Pro (2010) and it fits fine but I cannot install OSX without it failing and I cannot clone my old hard drive without it crashing.

I've turned off the motion sensor. I've used Diskwarrior. I've repaired disk and permissions.

I even had Western Digital send out a replacement and the new one does the same thing!

Does it need to be partitioned into two smaller ones?!

Sorry to highjack but I'm new and can't post and yours is similar.

Thanks...

Sure, there is no problem with the 640GB Scorpio Blue from WD, you can savely replace the HD with this, no problem as long as the HD is 9,5 mm height (which it is).

Actually the unibodies will handle the 12.5 mm drives as well.

Has anyone here had issues with the WD10TPVT: Western Digital 1tb? I bought one for my 15" Macbook Pro (2010) and it fits fine but I cannot install OSX without it failing and I cannot clone my old hard drive without it crashing.

Did you format it first?

Actually the unibodies will handle the 12.5 mm drives as well.

Did you format it first?

Those external drives have many problems. if you can dissassemble and connect via sata, run smart reporter on it. 5 or more fails or old age and you might need to return

I've turned off the motion sensor. I've used Diskwarrior. I've repaired disk and permissions.

I even had Western Digital send out a replacement and the new one does the same thing!

Does it need to be partitioned into two smaller ones?!

Sorry to highjack but I'm new and can't post and yours is similar.

Thanks...

Try installing using the "ShowAllFiles"(kext.com in utilities) and then in the System/Installation/Packages install using the OSInstall.mpkg in the SL Retail disk. Make sure and "customize" the install and uncheck the printer drivers and Languages Rosetta. Printers will self install anyways so don't worry about it

And heads up CCC (carbon copy cloner and so on) usually needs to be running on the OS that clones two separate HDD thats so that they can be unmounted and completely cloned bit per bit. You need 3 drives so it won't bark at you.

USB thumb drives work great to carry a repair or emergency OSX. Only a few bucks. See if you can install OSX on the USB then connect the HDD's once booted to the USB so it can clone. It work flawlessly on a Hackintosh never tried on a Mac.

Or borrow a friends Mac and connect the drives to be cloned.