Mac Pro case with power supply mod.

pirloui

20 posts in this topic

I got hand on a cheap Mac Pro case some weeks ago. I like it better that the G5 case, and decided to make it as stock looking as possible.

I got a Mac Pro PSU that I gutted, and replaced it with my ATX PSU.

The Hack Pro now has a sleek bar of aluminium on top :)

It's just half done, but here are some pics. A mess inside, but over time I will use the Apple quick release for the HDDs, clean up the mess and hopefully find the original fan block and air guide. (they are too expensive online).

mp1.jpg

The case stripped of cables. I will wire the front pannel, but another time.

mp2.jpg

A slipstream fan for silent cooling of the power supply. Should have been a Gentle Typhoon, but not to be found.

mp3.jpg

Motherboard in place. Stand offs reglued with epoxy.

mp5.jpg

The ATX PSU bottom case was cut and bended to fit on top of the Apple stand offs.

mp6.jpg

Et Voila! an Apple ATX power supply.

mp8.jpg

Getting in place; was slightly long to get there, I hope I won't have to move it too soon.

mp9.jpg

Fan alignes nicely with the heatsinks.

mp12.jpg

All in place for now. As mentionned will tidy up a lot and add fans.

mp13.jpg

The back. Mac Pro power cable and foud a grey wifi antennae.

Update in a couple of weeks probably :angry2:

BTW, you guys who have the fan block and ram cages and so on: Do the fan block touch the wall behind it? I would like to have the 24pin prolonger run horizontally from the front panel to the mobo, would that be possible if I get the parts? Thanks a lot for any information.

Pirloui,

Could you post the original size picture of: "Fan aligns nicely with the heatsinks", for me!?(the one showing the fan behind the power supply)

I think it will make a great desktop picture! If you have a place where you could dump it and post a link it would be great!

Koos

I think it will make a great desktop picture! If you have a place where you could dump it and post a link it would be great!

Nice you like it :D

Here is the original file + another of the same + another that might be desktop picture material.

Beste.

Cheers!

http://www.laading.net/temp/mac_pro_pt_1/PSU-1.jpg

http://www.laading.net/temp/mac_pro_pt_1/PSU-2.jpg

http://www.laading.net/temp/mac_pro_pt_1/PSU-3.jpg

• 3 months later...

I soldered the Apple SATA quick release to regular SATA connectors in order to use the HD bays to their full extent. The case is also tidier that way. Still misses the fan shroud that should cover most of the cable mess in the front.

mp201.jpg

Delicious strands... Counting preparation and soldering it took close to a day.

mp203.jpg

Some re-arrangement of the CPU cooler part. It rests of a rubber block, and the two fans are PWM.

mp300.jpg

SATA power connectors (between the PSU and the Apple quick release thing) are now tucked up beside under the DVD wall plate.

mp301.jpg

On its way to tidy. Next: retry the font pannel USB and get a longer 24pin PSU extender to get it to lie flat when the area gets covered.

• 4 months later...

Thank s:) Basically you will need an extension for the PSU 24 pins, from wich you get 3 and 5 volt or so for the front panel.

One FP connector will go to power / reset etc; another audio, another usb and FW.

Basically it can all work, you will just have to beware of the version of ther FP; there are two; you can get more info and pinouts at aquamac forum.

• 5 weeks later...

Is this a 2009 MP case? I have a 2009 that has a 44pin connector on the front panel and I can't find a pinout for it (including at aquamac, which seems to be half-broken)...

EDIT: ah I see you have an older front panel...

• 1 month later...

@RemoteWorks:

Sure those will work; you just need to find a way to fix them at the right position. (shouldn't be too much of a problem)

@The_Wrath-Of_GOD: The MacPro PSUs are all the same for that use; as for the ATX part; you can use anyone that isn't too long. I used a Antec EarthWatts 380W.

Good luck :(

• 1 month later...

MOD 変換Mac

4Media Mod 変換Macは優れたMac Mod変換ソフトです。Mac OS Xユーザーために完璧な出力品質と高速度で一つの形式をまた一つに変換できるソフトです。MOD、FLV、MKV、WMV、ASF、MPEG1、 MPEG2、MP4、3GP、3G2、MOV、AVI、 M2TS、MPEG TS/TP (for HD Video)、 M4Vなどの形式をサポートします。

http://www.mp4converter.jp/mod-converter-mac.html