Help - Windows 7 killed my Hackintosh

Wilse

19 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

Hope someone can help me with this.

I had a working(ish) dual boot Hackintosh with WinXP and OSX.5.3 until a few days ago.

I decided (perhaps stupidly) to install Windows 7 the other night and now can't boot OSX.

When I select OSX from the pre-boot menu I get a Grub prompt.

Anyone any idea how to fix this?

-EDIT-

I gather from reading other threads that Win7 has overwritten the bootloader?

I have no idea how to reinstall it as my original install of OSX was from an 'all-in-one' Kalyway DVD.

Thanks,

Robert.

Found this on another forum and it worked for me (although I believe I may have simply flagged the Windows 7 partition as active from within osx, rebooted and fixed the mbr with Windows 7 Installation DVD then used a boot disk to load back into mac, flagged my osx partition as active then reinstalled Chameleon.... but I can't remember exactly... Anyways, this was helpful:

I had OS X, then I installed Windows 7. This is what I did to get dual booting with Chameleon.

1- Use bootloader CD to boot into OS X.

2- In terminal: fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX (X = HD number, usually 0)

flag Y (Y = the OS X partition number, usually 2)

update

write

exit

3- Install Chameleon 2 using installer.

4- Now chameleon should start and boot OS X without the boot CD. Windows won't boot (black screen with errors).

5- In OS X terminal: fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX

flag Z (Z = windows partition number, should NOT exceed 4)

write

exit

6- Boot Windows DVD, and repair the bootloader.

7- Reboot, and you'll boot into Windows automatically, again.

8- Use diskpart to make OS X partition active.

9- Reboot. Now Chameleon should start and booting Windows and OS X should work

I think the Chameleon 2 installer needs a new Windows 7 friendly version of fdisk to avoid all this mess.

To sum up:

Chameleon 2 installer doesn't work properly when Windows 7 bootloader is installed. You need to manually update the MBR before installing it (which breaks windows bootloader), then repair Windows boot loader.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

When you install Win7 you must unplug the Mac OSX Harddisk.

They're different partitions on the same drive.

also use the newest Chameleon distribution to boot Mac OSX or Win7.

Please excuse my ignorance here but how do I go about installing Chameleon?

(i.e. Is it done via the Kalyway install DVD?)

Thanks again,

Robert.

Hi djouija:

Found this on another forum and it worked for me (although I believe I may have simply flagged the Windows 7 partition as active from within osx, rebooted and fixed the mbr with Windows 7 Installation DVD then used a boot disk to load back into mac, flagged my osx partition as active then reinstalled Chameleon.... but I can't remember exactly... Anyways, this was helpful:

Thanks.

When I get to:

fdisk -e/dev/rdisk0

Terminal says "fdisk: illegal option --/"?

I' m running dual boot (xp and osx 10.5.7) on my laptop. I have the same problem. What's the right way in order to add windows 7, keeping chameleon as bootloader and xp and osx stay functional? pls help us!

Hi folks,

Hope someone can help me with this.

I had a working(ish) dual boot Hackintosh with WinXP and OSX.5.3 until a few days ago.

I decided (perhaps stupidly) to install Windows 7 the other night and now can't boot OSX.

When I select OSX from the pre-boot menu I get a Grub prompt.

Anyone any idea how to fix this?

-EDIT-

I gather from reading other threads that Win7 has overwritten the bootloader?

I have no idea how to reinstall it as my original install of OSX was from an 'all-in-one' Kalyway DVD.

Thanks,

Robert.

there is a space after "e"

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

Oops! Silly me. Thank you.

That worked and I now get the preboot menu again, Windows Boot Manager - progress! :-)

That said, regardless of whether I select Windows 7 or NST Mac OS X it says, "Windows Failed to Start"

OK, I'm trying to install chameleon but am a little lost.

I have it on a USB drive which doesn't show up when I boot from the OSX DVD so I don't know how to install it from there.

Will I need to burn it to CD?

OK, I now have a Dell PC with 3 blank partitions (including the small boot partition)

I have copies of:

OSX 10.5 retail

OSX Kalyway 10.5.1

WinXP

Win7

Before I start from scratch, anyone any tips/opinions on what to install and where?

I ran into the same problem as you are when I fist tried to install Windows 7. I found that it is a lot easier to install the the two systems in two seperate drives, unplug one drive while installing the other.

After both systems installed and working ok, connect both drives up, boot with the OSX system drive, both system would appear on the boot loader menu, piece of cake.

If you are doing this on a notebook, this is not an option. But for a desk top, this is so much easier. Harddrives are so cheap this days.

Good luck.

I ran into the same problem as you are when I fist tried to install Windows 7. I found that it is a lot easier to install the the two systems in two seperate drives, unplug one drive while installing the other.

After both systems installed and working ok, connect both drives up, boot with the OSX system drive, both system would appear on the boot loader menu, piece of cake.

If you are doing this on a notebook, this is not an option. But for a desk top, this is so much easier. Harddrives are so cheap this days.

Good luck.

I might actually do just that but will need to purchase another drive. In the meantime I'm erasing the existing drive and will probably stick OSX on it.

Hi, i have windows 7 and osx on different hard drives but what i have found that worked was to install windows first then osx with chameleon boot loader, it detected both my os's just fine.

How did you install chameleon?

I have it on a USB stick which doesn't appear after booting from OSX DVD.

• 4 months later...

is it not possible to use the windows 7 command prompt to reactivate the OSX partition so that the chameleon boot loader there will recognize the windows 7 partition after reboot. Because the last time I checked windows 7 does not have driver to recognize the HFSJ partitions which means i cannot interfere with the chameleon boot loader or PC Efi.

Can you install it the other way around?

For instance, I have a Dell laptop with windows 7 on it. What if I resize the partiton with gparted, so there's some empty space on the drive. Then can I install Mac OS to that empty space? Can I dual boot both Mac OS and Windows 7, if Windows 7 was installed first?