6 posts in this topic

Hi,

just want you let to know that SL 10.6.2 works on an eeePC 901 using

the kernel from 10.6.1.

So before the starting update, you should copy the mach_kernel file

to, say, mach_kernel.10.0.0 and after the update, make a backup copy

from the new mach_kernel to mach_kernel.10.2.0, and then just copy

mach_kernel.10.0.0 over to mach_kernel.

(maybe one need to use the old System.kext also but I didn#t do that for now)

I found the usual display problems (no hardware accelleration, only 800x600

resolution after the update.

The usual patching of AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and AppleIntelGMA950.kext

led to an unusable system. When you remove AppleIntelGMA950.kext and use only

a patched AppleIntelFramebuffer.kext, you get the screen resolution to 1024x600 but

no acceleration.

I ended up using a patched version of AppleIntelIntegratedFrambuffer.kext from 10.6.2

along with a patched Version of AppleIntelGMA950.kext from 10.6.1, which gives me

also hardware acceleration (e.g. the water wave effect in Dashboard when opening the widget

manager). Maybe AppleIntelGMA950.kext from 10.6.2 is not compatible with kernel from 10.6.1,

maybe patching no longer works as it used to do, I don't know but I can live with

that for now.

Best regards,

Stephan

Edit: an option would possible to use the Kernel from Developper Build 10C535. Maybe soumeone could post it, I was not able to find it ...

I Have 10.6.2 with the 10.6.1 mach_kernel and I patched the 10.6.2 AppleIntelGMA950.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFrambuffer.kext and acceleration is fine. I can play HD 1280x720 movie files in Quicktime Player 7 (The new QuickTime Player 10.0 still drops too many frames).

But with 10.6.2 bluetooth no longer works. Other computers can see my EeePC as "BCM2046B1 Bluetooth Device", but I can no longer pair anything with the EeePC, including my mouse. That's a shame as I think the "Mighty Mouse" goes well with my white EeePC 901.

I can see that the file /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext/

Contents/MacOS/BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController was updated in the 10.6.2 upgrade, so I will try and dig out the 10.6.1 kext and try it later...

...Yes, I installed the 10.6.1 IOBluetoothFamily.kext, removed the kext cache, rebooted, then deleted and re-added my bluetooth mouse and it is all working again. :rolleyes:

UPDATE: There is no problem with Bluetooth on 10.6.2 on the EeePC 901, I had a corrupt dsdt.aml file, which I have now replaced and the standard 10.6.2 drivers work fine.

GMA950_10.6.2.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that, Mike!

Seems like I´ve made a bad mistake when patching

the AppleIntelGMA950.kext ..... it works now!

BTW, I am using the binpatched russian kernel

from 10.6.2 right now without any issues.

The CPU is recognized as CoreSolo, Hyperthreading

works on my eeePC 901

To be honest, I doubt that Apple intentionally dropped Atom support,

because there has never been Atom support as such in the

past, the atom CPU always was recognized as unknown.

http://teateam.blogspot.com/2009/11/mac-os-x-1062.html

(in the upper right corner there is a google translation available!)

• 1 month later...

For the searchers ending up here (just like I did):

The method above is working on my 1005HA, using:

- com.apple.Boot.plist as working in 10.6(.1)

- dsdt.aml as working in 10.6(.1)

- AppleIntelGMA950.kext from 10.6.1, patched to support device ID (27ae for me)

- AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from 10.6.2, patched to support device ID (27ae for me)

- Extra for me: Natit.kext for 10.6.2, otherwise I ended up with a white screen at boot.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have no problem with bluetooth on the 10.6.1 kernel, however bluetooth won't appear if I use the 10.6.2 kernel. I am using a 901 as well. What dsdt file are you guys using? Can you share it?

Thanks!!

In both 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 for some reason my eeepc 901 is having issues recognizing the bluetooth module. Maybe 1 in 10 restarts the bluetooth module will show up on osx. Is anybody else having the same issue?

I am using the latest 2103 unpatched BIOS without any extra DSDT.aml file since sleeping and waking up works fine for me except I have to press Fn+F3 to bring back up the screen which I can live with.