ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security mode

John1971

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am fooling around with OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 on my barely-used old laptop.

it's a Hugebee (not made anymore) 2004 model specs p4 2.4 Ghz, 2 G ram, SIS chipset.

Been messing around for days I can finally get the boot screen to appear had the issue of MAC Framework fixed by adding ACPI and the one core fix on the install disk.

now I get ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security mode; defaulting to full-secure.

are they a fix (patch) for this?? I tried one firewire fix but no luck. I feel I'm almost there :)

If thats the case, "ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security mode; defaulting to full-secure" is not the issue here. Your system should bootup fine with or without this error.

upload a pic or give me at least the last 3-5 lines.

I have tried to reinstall... no luck same issue..

I do have a firewire port but no way to diable in BIOS unfortunately as I read some ppl were able to get around the error..

The error is there with NO lines afterwards just that with the hang no kernel panic or drive read error. Wish I could get past this :D

post-519908-1257383939_thumb.jpg

If I remember it right all my harddrives with different versions of osx say the same when they bootup and still FW works in 400 mode so this is nothing to worry about. Why it does´nt boot is something else maby a videocard ram (try to reduce in bios to the lowest value) or video kext issue (check out what card you have and what kext you need (NVinject, Natit etc etc( use only one)) or need for a fix for the SiS chipset.

I'm getting so close!! I got the system to boot up all the way to the welcome screen but the issue now is getting the system to detect the keyboard and mouse. I think there's a kext I have to install.

All I added to get past the error part was added SiS unversal chipset driver and the SiS 7102 sound card kext.

everytime u add a kext from the startup disk you do have to do a -f afterwards??

UPDATE: I now have a HackBook!! Everything up and running and getting faster every reboot..

Well, I do have a aging P4 2.4 single core and only 64MB RAM video so I didn't expect Leopard for be super quick. So far it's detecting everything I haven't tried the ethernet connection yet but it'll prob work. Thanks for your info..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have the same problem with a cloned (Carbon Copy Cloner) Leopard Server on a Lenovo R60.

At first i had a Kernel Panik. After this i change the IOATA..... no KP more.

But now it hangs here "ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security mode" + booting from USB Disk

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
hey, have u tried to install the firewire disable patch?

What "firewire disable patch" are you referring too? I couldn't find one.

If you're going to reference some material for a solution it would be nice if you also offered the solution or a link to it.

Two helpful topics on Firewire issues that you can easily find by typing "Firewire" in the search box above:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196359

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=237750

Also try typing "Firewire Full Security Mode" in the search box.

The "Full Security Mode" message is just a notification, a status message. If your Hackintosh halts during the boot process at this message, it's probably not caused by your Firewire hardware, but rather whatever is happening after OS X is done putting that message on the screen.

If you disable Firewire in the BIOS then the Firewire drivers won't load and that message won't appear, but your Hack will most likely still hang at the same spot.