theproto

HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Thread (Part II - CURRENT)

900 posts in this topic

Though I don't see the Kernel Extensions in the Installer, is it integrated in HF3 RC1?

Thanks!

HF2 and HF3 no longer install local kernel extensions... I removed the option from the installer since it no longer does anything.

In fact HF3 goes through and removes known project extensions from /S/L/E during the EFI configuration to ensure you do not have issues with past releases or testing.

It also removes any non-project related boot binary and /E directory (ie: NBI) if you have installed it on the local drive to help users having issues due to this.

The installer tries very hard to ensure you will have a successful boot upon installation.

Advertisement
Unfortunately, I still get exactly the same behavior with the HF2 package: Kernel trap panic on iCal Helper a few seconds after wake. Happens every single time. Downgrading to HF1 package, the problem completely goes away.

I also ran TechTool 3.1.3 memory tester all last night, no problems reported.

Note that I added the 3GB memory after I had already installed OS 10.6.2 + HF1. Could this have contributed to something?

What memory manufacturer, speed, etc. did you install in your 311?

Ok, I did a full re-install of OS X from scratch (formatted hard disk), after verifying that my panic on wake problem disappeared after a vanilla install onto a USB disk w/ HF2.

I am now running 10.6.2 + GA + HF3. 3GB RAM looking stable. I have now installed a vanilla Dell 1510 wireless card in the 1/2 height slot, with pin 20 covered, and have wireless functioning on my home network.

At this point, I've discovered only one concerning issue. When the laptop is has gone to sleep, and then I close the lid, opening the lid to wake the laptop only wakes it for about 5 seconds before it goes back to sleep. Same behavior if I press the power button, or close and reopen the lid again. I can't wake the machine, and have to hard-shut down with power button down for 5 seconds or pull the battery to break this cycle.

I do not know whether this issue was present with HF1 or HF2. I'll try to test, time permitting.

I will start a new topic in this thread to discuss this new sleep issue.

Sleep/wake loop when closing lid after laptop is sleeping.

Mini 311-1000NR (N270, F.04 biod Icelore de-whitelisted, upgraded 3GB ram, upgraded dell 1510 wireless 1/2 slot pin 20 covered)

When the laptop is idle and has gone to sleep, and then I close the lid, opening the lid to wake the laptop only wakes it for about 5 seconds before it goes back to sleep. I get the same behavior if I press the power button, or close and reopen the lid again. I can't wake the machine, and have to hard-shut down with power button down for 5 seconds or pull the battery to break this cycle.

I can consistently repeat this issue.

I have a vanilla install: 10.6.0 + 11/02 GA CD package + HF3 full package + 10.6.2 combo + Cuda 3b1 (from GA CD) + lightscribe drivers (from GA CD). Only other software I've installed is MenuMeters control panel (to monitor CPU, disk usage) and Skype.

I do not know whether this issue was present with HF1 or HF2. I'll try to test, time permitting.

Any suggestions? It seems like OS X is getting confused in sleep mode when the lid is closed, and thinks it should go still be in sleep when woken up.

Has anyone else encountered or can reproduce this issue?

i was having the similar problem, i was using HF1 + EC kexts.

then i just decided to go back to HF1

Interesting... I really can't reproduce any issues right now.

Have you installed any third party software, drivers, or changed any settings?

Interesting... I really can't reproduce any issues right now.

Have you installed any third party software, drivers, or changed any settings?

I found that the go-back-to-sleep issue would also rarely occur even if I closed the cover while machine was awake.

I did notice that the sleep issue was occurring almost immediately after the CPU fan was cycling on during wake.

On a whim, I checked my bios, and I had the "Fan always on" setting set to "disabled". I tried enabling this setting (apparently the default bios setting), and my sleep problems appear to have completely disappeared. So far, 30+ sleep events so without a single wake-loop issue.

I'm running Icelord's modified F.04 bios.

I never saw this issue with HF1, so perhaps there's a subtle issue (CPU status, timing, etc.) with the HF2 and later sleep enabler that makes the OS think the CPU should still be sleeping or go back to sleep? I never ran HF2 long enough to verify this, but I ran HF1 pretty extensively and never once saw this issue.

I believe we can consider this resolved at this time. But it might be a good idea to document this bios setting in the thread documentation: set "Fan always on" to "enabled".

I'd like to know whether changing this setting fixes this sleep/wake loop problem for anyone else who has had it with HF2 and later. And also whether you can reproduce it yourself by disabling the always-on fan bios setting.

I believe we can consider this resolved at this time. But it might be a good idea to document this bios setting in the thread documentation: set "Fan always on" to "enabled".

I'd like to know whether changing this setting fixes this sleep/wake loop problem for anyone else who has had it with HF2 and later. And also whether you can reproduce it yourself by disabling the always-on fan bios setting.

i have hf3 and no sleep problem

before with hf1 hf2 no problem at all

fan always on "disabled"

good job proto!

i have hf3 and no sleep problem

before with hf1 hf2 no problem at all

fan always on "disabled"

good job proto!

Thanks, thats good news... I'm going to be uploading an updated version of the boot/install CD with HF3 for simplicity sake soon as well now that RC3 has proven it's reliability.

It is just going to contain the installation package with RC3 that is already out... No need for anyone to install or change anything since it is the same file you already have just placed in the boot media for ease.

I was hoping to see 10.6.3 drop before this so we knew if MowgliBook's audio is still going to work.

I'll be upgrading to BIOS F.12 to fix the Nano receiver boot issue. Just wanted to double check and make sure everything will work well.

As for the installation, I'm using OS X only on my 311. Seems that the flash utility has an .exe file which'd only work in Windows. How am I going to do this?

I've recently did a fresh reinstall of Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (I love wiping out and reinstalling every once in a while - it's a habit I've caught since I started hackintoshing ;)). Applied HPM311 Darwin Project from the CD/DVD release, applied HF2RC2 and then HF3 (cause I observed that skipping HF2 to go straight to HF3 doesn't take out the kexts that the first pkg installs in /S/L/E and HF2RC2 was the installer that was handy to me at the time I reinstalled so it was what I used - I understand there's an HF2RC3 which was rolled out as "HF2").

Hibernatemode was changed to 0 but the sleepimage wasn't automatically deleted from /private/var/vm - so there was still "hibernate image too old by so and so seconds" message which went away when I deleted the sleepimage file. All's well then.

What's pleasantly surprising tho is the battery indicator. It's now giving the likes of "1:59 hrs" which, imo, is a better reading than the enigmatic "0:02 remaining". Plus, though I never posted about this earlier, I did notice on my first installation that the battery in System Profiler registered as "Ni-MH" or something to that effect. That even prompted me to check my physical battery to verify that I did have a Li-Ion one. I consigned it to the still somewhat hay-wire battery and over all power management support for the 311 so didn't affect me much. But then just now when I checked Sys Prof I get the real thing indicated there: "Li-Ion". Perplexing little phenomenon! :gun:

What I'm a little sad about is experiencing again "Device removal blah blah" message that now pops up when I put the Mini to sleep while USB drives are plugged in. I do remember vividly that this didn't happen before. Anyone else experience this issue?

Also, speaking of battery again, I'm using prasys AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext (not sure if the AppleACPIBatteryManager that gets installed by the fixes/pkgs in this project is the same one). I'm mainly attracted to it with the promise of "less stress to the battery". You can find more details about prasys' post at insanelywind. So far my system's stable but I've been using an Extensions.mkext made from /S/L/E and /Extra/Extensions. I could never get how Kext Utility works and using a kextcache specifying kexts from only /Extra/Extensions via MkextTool can't get trackpad to work.

Hi guys,

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but an easy way to get wireless with Snow Leopard is to use your iphone as a WiFi adapter:

1) Jailbreak your iPhone

2) Install Pdanet (google) on iphone

3) Install Pdanet desktop on the 311

4) Connect iPhone via usb, connect to a wireless network on your iPhone and share that with your 311!

If you want to share cellular data with the 311, try miwi - a much better iPhone app but it doesn't let you share wifi over usb (need a jailbreak for that one too).

Both miwi and PDANet work well on the 311 under osx. Only thing is miwi won't share wifi over the usb. But both will share cellular data over usb and PDANet will share the wifi with your 311 as well. So PDANet will do both although I always found the wifi router mode of miwi better. Miwi also supports bluetooth so that's a bonus too. I don't have bluetooth on my 311 so haven't been able to test that.

Also, miwi requires NO osx installation, whereas PDANet requires an extra app on the 311 side.

Also, speaking of battery again, I'm using prasys AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext (not sure if the AppleACPIBatteryManager that gets installed by the fixes/pkgs in this project is the same one). I'm mainly attracted to it with the promise of "less stress to the battery". You can find more details about prasys' post at insanelywind. So far my system's stable but I've been using an Extensions.mkext made from /S/L/E and /Extra/Extensions. I could never get how Kext Utility works and using a kextcache specifying kexts from only /Extra/Extensions via MkextTool can't get trackpad to work.

I can't speak to the issues your having much yet however an intrigued by prasys' AppleACPIBatteryManager... I'm going to start testing this...

Our battery indicator is and has been giving us a 2:00 at 100% reading all the way through 0:00 at 0% since HF1 but prasys has made some other interesting improvements I see being of use.

I am pretty sure that files added to /S/L/E during the initial 11/09 and HF1 installation are removed during the HF3 installation but I will check again.

EDIT: You shouldn't have received the "hibernate image too old by so and so seconds" with HF3 even if the file is present since Wake=NO in boot.plist. But I have added the removal of the sleep image to the install script, thanks for the reminder.

EDIT: As suspected the polling is much improved with prasys' AppleACPIBatteryManager release. I have rolled it into my own personal HF4 builds that I make small incremental changes to.

Great find LeMaurien19!

^I used to get a weird "00:02" or sometimes "00:03" when I check the battery. I found it really disturbing ;) and then, just out of the blue, I now have "2:00" (which would progress beautifully down as my batt discharges).

Just because it is confusing currently,

Which configuration is best as far as WiFi goes?

Do all have separate BT if you pay for it?

Does the N card or the G card work better (if the stocks are now working)

I'm finally about to purchase my Mini 311 (Thank God! Finally!) and want to make sure which WiFi solution is best.

--McK

Flashing Bios to F.04 F

How long approximate does this procedure takes?

I started around 1 hour ago. and Keeps beep beep around ever 2-5 seconds.

I read it "take a while" does this meant all day? :P

Sorry I'm coming late into the thread - these questions may have been answered elsewhere:

1. What is the purpose of pin 20 on the WLAN card? ie why is it covered?

2. Has the stock WLAN been tried with pin 20 covered?

I have a NZ version of the HP Mini 311 with a Broadcom BCM4315 card, F.04F BIOS, and SL 10.6.2 installed. The only thing not working is the WLAN.

Sorry I'm coming late into the thread - these questions may have been answered elsewhere:

1. What is the purpose of pin 20 on the WLAN card? ie why is it covered?

2. Has the stock WLAN been tried with pin 20 covered?

I have a NZ version of the HP Mini 311 with a Broadcom BCM4315 card, F.04F BIOS, and SL 10.6.2 installed. The only thing not working is the WLAN.

Do you know a proper way to Downgrade Bios to F.04F? I just got my 311-1100CTO. came with Bios F12. I formated the HD for an Clean Single Boot Installation. But Bios just wont change.

Do you know a way to do this better? Maybe a Windows Utility to Flash Bios?

My Current Bios is InsydeF12

thnx in advance.

Do you know a proper way to Downgrade Bios to F.04F? I just got my 311-1100CTO. came with Bios F12. I formated the HD for an Clean Single Boot Installation. But Bios just wont change.

Do you know a way to do this better? Maybe a Windows Utility to Flash Bios?

My Current Bios is InsydeF12

thnx in advance.

No need to downgrade your firmware... F.12/13 have both been tested to function just fine... Updating top post...

On an unrelated note.. I think prasys' EC and new battery kext bring a new instability and KP potential in certain situations like when the application is trying to prevent power management from taking any action (ie: syncing with BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Mac).

I am planning on pulling the EC kexts from the next HF release. Prasys' new battery kext hasn't been used in any public releases yet so nothing will change there.

F13 is out...

Using icelord's hack here... Been a while... Any word on 10.6.3 audio?

No need to downgrade your firmware... F.12/13 have both been tested to function just fine... Updating top post...

On an unrelated note.. I think prasys' EC and new battery kext bring a new instability and KP potential in certain situations like when the application is trying to prevent power management from taking any action (ie: syncing with BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Mac).

I am planning on pulling the EC kexts from the next HF release. Prasys' new battery kext hasn't been used in any public releases yet so nothing will change there.

thats a relief, i tried nearly 5 times to down grade, no luck even with 4 hours of wait.

I downloaded your CD/DVD Boot, and burn on to a CD and Boot, Got to Cool looking boot screen.

Pop out darwin, and pop in Snow Leo. I got to the point

disk03 repeating errors and end up on DSMOS and halt there.

Am i doing something wrong here?

I am using HP Mini 311-1100 CTO, a ground Basic from Costco Custom Order. All basic parts.

@theproto

many site tutorial posted BootDisc

"HPM311DP_1109GA.iso" is this the Old one? cause seems like this seems to work for others.

Or Im just lacking luck atm.

thats a relief, i tried nearly 5 times to down grade, no luck even with 4 hours of wait.

I downloaded your CD/DVD Boot, and burn on to a CD and Boot, Got to Cool looking boot screen.

Pop out darwin, and pop in Snow Leo. I got to the point

disk03 repeating errors and end up on DSMOS and halt there.

Am i doing something wrong here?

I am using HP Mini 311-1100 CTO, a ground Basic from Costco Custom Order. All basic parts.

@theproto

many site tutorial posted BootDisc

"HPM311DP_1109GA.iso" is this the Old one? cause seems like this seems to work for others.

Or Im just lacking luck atm.

I have HF4 coming in the form of a new ISO for booting into the installer (as we do today) with only the absolute required kernel extensions being loaded during the install and first boot.

Then HF4's cumulative installation package that builds the boot environment so you can reboot and install all the OS updates and such as an Apple computer is intended to be updated without any commands being executed or caches rebuilt.

I have been testing this and anticipate having this out there during the weekend.

There's already an F14 bios cracked by icelord for dewhitelisting the pci slot? I'm still on F.04 and I don't think I wanna jump into the bandwagon of keeping my bios bleeding edge up-to-date except if it's really needed (battery, mobo issues addressed or something of the magnitude).

Would being updated in terms of bios be a significant factor to keep in pace with this project?

There's already an F14 bios cracked by icelord for dewhitelisting the pci slot? I'm still on F.04 and I don't think I wanna jump into the bandwagon of keeping my bios bleeding edge up-to-date except if it's really needed (battery, mobo issues addressed or something of the magnitude).

Would being updated in terms of bios be a significant factor to keep in pace with this project?

To be honest, none really... I just have to keep up to date to make sure stuff isn't broken.

F.13 is the latest at this point and the hacked firmware is on the HF4 disc that ready for release just testing it with a workload load overnight again with debugging. It is surely release ready but want to be VERY sure.