theproto

HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Thread (Part II - CURRENT)

900 posts in this topic

Advertisement
Link named HF2 lead to HPM311DP_1109HF1.pkg file.

Is this correct?

Good call, I did have the wrong link in the there for the standalone hotfix only. Updated.

Looking for some feedback on Prasys' EC kexts... I've posted briefly about them about a month ago but heard nothing back from anyone.

I had verified they worked then, and again with his latest blog post about them. They do indeed load on the 311 and provide data (minus fan RPMs)...

I see no harm in having them on our systems and will likely build them in to the next hotfix provided longer term testing yields no negative results (no expected). It is not that we want to read the temp from it (as we have FakeSMC doing that) but the safety features this could provide at a minimum.

HF2 needed to be released before 10.6.3 so I didn't want to introduce any further changes however this is likely going to make it for HF3.

Just trying to open some dialog here.

I installed it. And I don't see any differences.(but I shouldn't expect to, right?)

Stupid question, but how do I check the current cpu speed to see if its speedstepping or not?

I installed it. And I don't see any differences.(but I shouldn't expect to, right?)

Stupid question, but how do I check the current cpu speed to see if its speedstepping or not?

Use "x-cpu" in the "Support" folder on the CD or USB installation images. Open it and watch the frequency change as you open an app, wait for the system to settle down and such.

To see if the EC kexts are loaded use "kextstat" and look for them. I have verified that they provide "data" while not useable in the raw for a user.

There's a new HF2 (the one linked at post#795?)

I tried HF2 RC2 and it didn't allow me to stop the loading process...I ended up installing Cham V2 RC4 manually and it fixed that little snag.

Can't wait to try this one out. :D

There's a new HF2 (the one linked at post#795?)

I tried HF2 RC2 and it didn't allow me to stop the loading process...I ended up installing Cham V2 RC4 manually and it fixed that little snag.

Can't wait to try this one out. :D

How did the HF2 install go for you? If you do run into any snags you can always resort to the full package (recommended if you have made any modifications).

I am looking for feedback.

I consistently get HF2 kernel panics after wake from sleep with 3GB RAM.

I am running Mini 311 N270, 1GB RAM, F.04 (Icelord no whitelist), original HP wireless B/G in 1/2 height slot (unused). I just upgraded to 3GB RAM today 1/20/2009 (Crucial 2GB 1066Mhz DDR3), and problems started.

With 1GB ram, HF1 ran OK but rarely would not wake up (blank screen). On cold restart, I got a warning like "not enough RAM to resume, press key to continue with regular boot". Reviewing older project REQUIREMENTS indicated "3GB of memory is required for successful wake from hibernation". So I ordered 2GB extra RAM, and installed.

With HF1, system runs fine on boot, sleep, wake from sleep. The original not enough RAM wake from sleep issue appears to have been resolved, as I haven't seen it since.

Then I decided to install HF2. So I downloaded and installed it, rebooted. Walked away from computer, it went to sleep, and after wake, within 5 seconds, the system froze and I got a panic text overlay on the screen, documented below. I have to hold power button for 5 seconds to power machine off, and cold boot to recover. I consistently get the same panic every time the system goes to sleep now, always on "iCal Helper".

When re-installing the original GA package and applying HF1, this problem goes away. 3GB RAM works perfectly in this configuration.

When upgrading again to HF2, the panic problem returns and occurs after every wake from sleep. Downgrading to 1GB RAM, the problem goes away.

Has anyone else encountered this same issue? Could this be a RAM issue? The fact that HF1 works fine, but HF2 doesn't suggests otherwise. I dared attempt a full re-install of 10.6.2, as HF1 works fine. But I don't want to be stuck with HF1 (and 10.6.2) when MacOS updates come out, nor do I want to go back to running only 1GB RAM.

I ran HP BIOS memory test, passed OK.

Note: I also noticed that the MacOS "About this Mac" reports my machine as an "1.67GHz Intel Core Solo", but I have a N270 which is 1.60Ghz. May be unrelated, but it is a discrepancy. HF1 correctly reported the 1.60GHz CPU. (The system profiler also incorrectly identifies CPU speed at 1.67, although bus speed is correctly identified 533Mhz. The cpu-x correctly identifies CPU Name with 1.60GHz).

The panic I get with HF2 is below:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x2a7ac2): Kernel trap at 0x005005e5, type 14=page fault, registers:

... [register list here]

Error code: 0x00000000

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

... [16 rows of sets of hex values]

No mapping exists for frame pointer

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0xbfffe748

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: iCal Helper

Mac OS version:

10C540

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Tue Nov 3 10:37:10 PST 2009; root:xnu-1486.2.11~1/RELEASE_I386

System model name: MacBook6,1 (Mac-F22C8AC8)

HF2 is stable for me - 2 gb ram, I've got the mini 1000's 4312 card on the half-height slot and it's not recognized so I've added an injector kext to the stock lot.

Like HF2 RC1, this latest HF2 doesn't allow me stop the load process - I can't specify any tags like -s or -f for ex.

HF2 is stable for me - 2 gb ram, I've got the mini 1000's 4312 card on the half-height slot and it's not recognized so I've added an injector kext to the stock lot.

Like HF2 RC1, this latest HF2 doesn't allow me stop the load process - I can't specify any tags like -s or -f for ex.

Other than this new 3GB wake-from-sleep panic issue, HF2 worked OK on my Mini 311-1000NR. I appreciated that a variety of boot warnings were cleaned up. Other than disabling hibernation support, were there other changes made to the sleep drivers? Is it possible to revert to the HF1 sleep driver with HF2, to see if that helps?

I also greatly miss the ability to stop load process on boot--can we re-enable that in HF3?

Regarding wireless cards, is there a major difference between the mini 1000 4312 vs. mini 311 4312? I've ordered a Dell 1510 B/G/N card, in accordance to this guide, but would love to be able to use the stock card if possible (I'm considering building another 311 hackintosh). So far, I've seen that others have had no luck with the stock 311 cards either, so maybe there is a hardware difference.

F8 on boot should do the trick... This is due to Meklort's patch and is a feature if there are no other bootable partitions on the drive.

Other than this new 3GB wake-from-sleep panic issue, HF2 worked OK on my Mini 311-1000NR. I appreciated that a variety of boot warnings were cleaned up. Other than disabling hibernation support, were there other changes made to the sleep drivers? Is it possible to revert to the HF1 sleep driver with HF2, to see if that helps?

I also greatly miss the ability to stop load process on boot--can we re-enable that in HF3?

Regarding wireless cards, is there a major difference between the mini 1000 4312 vs. mini 311 4312? I've ordered a Dell 1510 B/G/N card, in accordance to this guide, but would love to be able to use the stock card if possible (I'm considering building another 311 hackintosh). So far, I've seen that others have had no luck with the stock 311 cards either, so maybe there is a hardware difference.

I would have to recommend installing the FUL PKG w/HF2 not just the hotfix alone. I am running 3GB without issue along with many others. The old 3GB requirement was for hibernation and that has been disabled in HF2.

I have reason to believe you are using HF2 RC2 since you are getting the "not enough RAM to resume" error indicated that a change implemented in the final HF2 release hasn't been applied (setting hibernatemode to 0). The crash on regular resume also indicated you may be using the bad VoodooPowerMini included with HF2 RC2 and not the final HF2 release.

To bring up the boot menu whene only the 1 bootable partition is active keep hitting F8 before cham comes up.

I am not sure about the Mini 1000 WiFi card to be honest... But the 1510 is a straight up Broadcom card (same one Apple had used) and has nothing more Dell about than the SUBV string that can be rebranded in the SPROM is you really wanted like I have done.

Let me know how the full install package works for you.

installed hf2 package from cd/dvd file

added AppleACPI_Thermal_EC (and redone extensions.mkext)

no issue here!

sleep works well

cpu temp is less than before (EC?)

from verbose boot i see hda assertion (less than hf1)

and between the first lines woodopowermini error

but is still loaded

boot from win7 is corrupted (will repair tomorrow with win7dvd)

no problem with bootloader.. i can choose osx or win7 without to press f8

(There was a problem?)

seems that all is well (except small things)

good job

installed hf2 package from cd/dvd file

added AppleACPI_Thermal_EC (and redone extensions.mkext)

no issue here!

sleep works well

cpu temp is less than before (EC?)

from verbose boot i see hda assertion (less than hf1)

and between the first lines woodopowermini error

but is still loaded

boot from win7 is corrupted (will repair tomorrow with win7dvd)

no problem with bootloader.. i can choose osx or win7 without to press f8

(There was a problem?)

seems that all is well (except small things)

good job

Some folks are reporting issues where Windows 7 takes over their boot environment once they do the repair, so I have now rolled out HF3 RC1 in the support thread for testing (with the EC kext as well).

EDIT: VoodooPowerMini looks like it is trying to load too early in boot... I may slap a dependency on it like FakeSMC to get it to load later. It does load again by itself, but the initial error could be removed by doing something like this. Just to clean up out verbose boot :-)

Some folks are reporting issues where Windows 7 takes over their boot environment once they do the repair, so I have now rolled out HF3 RC1 in the support thread for testing (with the EC kext as well).

EDIT: VoodooPowerMini looks like it is trying to load too early in boot... I may slap a dependency on it like FakeSMC to get it to load later. It does load again by itself, but the initial error could be removed by doing something like this. Just to clean up out verbose boot :-)

First of all, thanks for all of your hard work. Its appreciatted by all of us.

Second, I am new to the Mac genre, and I aplogize in advance if I muck something up. I used your steps posted above and was able to load snow leopard successfully. I ran into problems trying the dual boot with Windows 7 pro. It took over the boot loader. I just now installed the hf3 pkg and it fixed the boot loader properly. I can now boot Snow Leopard and 7. Thanks.

Lastly, is there a way to make windows 7 boot by default?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the F8 tip, theproto!

FUL PKG install + HF2. Very stable.

I've added prasys' legacy kexts but I can't really report on any noticeable difference aside from a confirmation that the 2 kexts are loaded (via ioreg -l -w 0 | grep). AppleACPIEC, as I perceive it, should control the fan, now I'm not sure whether the fact that we can enable/disable "Fan Always On" via the bios and given that the kext is specifically for MSI Wind U100's EC - get in the way of the kext's proper functioning on the 311.

Actually, Ego_OSX and I have been playing with these kexts as seen in previous posts. We're using hacked iStat Pro/Nano courtesy of prasys as well, I'm getting a constant -714 RPM for fan which I'm not sure is accurate. Actually more details on the previous posts cited above.

I would have to recommend installing the FUL PKG w/HF2 not just the hotfix alone. I am running 3GB without issue along with many others. The old 3GB requirement was for hibernation and that has been disabled in HF2.

I have reason to believe you are using HF2 RC2 since you are getting the "not enough RAM to resume" error indicated that a change implemented in the final HF2 release hasn't been applied (setting hibernatemode to 0). The crash on regular resume also indicated you may be using the bad VoodooPowerMini included with HF2 RC2 and not the final HF2 release.

[...]

Let me know how the full install package works for you.

Unfortunately, I still get exactly the same behavior with the HF2 package: Kernel trap panic on iCal Helper a few seconds after wake. Happens every single time. Downgrading to HF1 package, the problem completely goes away.

I also ran TechTool 3.1.3 memory tester all last night, no problems reported.

Note that I added the 3GB memory after I had already installed OS 10.6.2 + HF1. Could this have contributed to something?

What memory manufacturer, speed, etc. did you install in your 311?

i installed prasys's kexts (while in HF1) and there was a problem with hibernate (at least in mode 3)

once resumed from sleep, the unit went back to hibernate mode again automatically, looping infinitely.

removed the battery and wake the kernel solved the problem temporarily.

also, setting the hibernatemode to 0 and back to 3 again seems solve the issue.

i installed prasys's kexts and there was a problem with hibernate (at least in mode 3)

once resumed from sleep, the unit went back to hibernate mode again automatically, looping infinitely.

removed the battery and wake the kernel solved the problem temporarily.

also, setting the hibernatemode to 0 and back to 3 again seems solve the issue.

I am confused on what you mean by hibernate. Are you talking about sleep or hibernate?

The installer sets hibernate to mode 0 (stopping hibernation altogether since it is not working) however sleep should be working. Is this your accurate for what is happending for you? Sleep/resume working but hibernate/resume not? If so, then that is expected with the current release.

I am confused on what you mean by hibernate. Are you talking about sleep or hibernate?

The installer sets hibernate to mode 0 (stopping hibernation altogether since it is not working) however sleep should be working. Is this your accurate for what is happending for you? Sleep/resume working but hibernate/resume not? If so, then that is expected with the current release.

i mean resume from sleep while there was power (when hibernatemode set to 3)

resume from sleep image seems alright.

anyway i removed those kexts and the unit is stable again.

fyi: i am still on HF1, haven't got a chance to go to HF2.

HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Release

CURRENT PACKAGE: 11/09 w/HF3

CHANGES:

Release: 11/09 HF3

Changes:

Fixed dual booting issue

Added Prasys's EC drivers for enhanced ACPI

Improved installation scripts

Issues:

Audio support limited to internal mic, headphones and speakers

Release: 11/09 HF2

Changes:

Moved kernel extensions to the EFI partition and created an extra only cache

Removed AppleHDA errors (more sound assertion and others) and ports not that were not functioning

Minor DSDT updates for cosmetic and completeness

Identified CPU as "Intel Core Solo" as opposed to leaving it to the bootloader

Swapped out bootloaders to take advantage of Meklort's on the fly kernel patching for 10.6.2/3

Hibernation is now disabled due to reliability

Issues:

Windows overwrites boot sector

HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Release

CURRENT PACKAGE: 11/09 w/HF3

CHANGES:

Release: 11/09 HF3

Changes:

Fixed dual booting issue

Added Prasys's EC drivers for enhanced ACPI

Improved installation scripts

Issues:

Release: 11/09 HF2

Changes:

Moved kernel extensions to the EFI partition and created an extra only cache

Removed AppleHDA errors (more sound assertion and others) and ports not that were not functioning

Minor DSDT updates for cosmetic and completeness

Identified CPU as "Intel Core Solo" as opposed to leaving it to the bootloader

Swapped out bootloaders to take advantage of Meklort's on the fly kernel patching for 10.6.2/3

Hibernation is now disabled due to reliability

Issues:

Windows overwrites boot sector

Though I don't see the Kernel Extensions in the Installer, is it integrated in HF3 RC1?

Thanks!