theproto

HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Thread (Part II - CURRENT)

900 posts in this topic

Just posting here what the HF2 RC1 is for: (taken from theproto's post at the support thread)

Thanks, it also updates chameleon, removes the use of a patched kernel in favor of cham doing it on the fly during boot for 10.6.3 compatibility, adds the new 10.6.x sleepenabler and such... Cleans and provisions for 10.6.3 to whatever extent we can foresee at the moment.

It still have outstanding issues we need to work on, so if folks have a solution for an issue please speak up!

LeMaurien19, you have brough ideas to the table, hope to hear more.

Advertisement

Just wanted to thanks you all for this nice packaged solution.

It worked like a charm, I just need to dig the wifi topic and buy a new card.

How can we help you all in your effort ?

If Clonezilla is able to work on my fresh install, I can try things for you.

How, exactly, do you make the USB version bootable? Cloning it to a flash drive does not result in a bootable device.

CURRENT GENERAL RELEASE: 11/09 GA (

CD/DVD or USB w/HF1)

CURRENT GENERAL HOTFIX: HF1

CURRENT RELEASE CANDIDATE: HF2 RC2

HF2 RC1 has been removed, RC2 fixes CPU throttling and identification, minor DSDT and other fixes. Aside from possibly audio HF2 will be ready for 10.6.3 updates without any user intervention.

I will be bringing the boot media download up to date next however simply installing HF2 over 11/09 RTM or HF1 will do fine.

Please test this release candidate for stability.

Hibernation has been disabled until further notice, it is less than perfect across most hackintosh platforms at best and has been confusing many folks.

As expressed in my PM to you earlier, sleep does not work at all for me after applying RC2. I have since tested it other ways as well as choosing sleep from the Apple menu. And each time, once the power indicator light starts blinking the only way to get back the display it to power it off and back on. No amount of key pressing, mouse moving or power button pushing will bring it back. BTW, pressing the power button does make the light stop blinking and the caps lock button flashes briefly as if it is going to wake, but it never does. My system is running the F.04 F firmware, I have 3 Gb of RAM and a 1510 wifi card. The original install was with your GA CD, updated via HF1 and now HF2-RC2. HTH

As expressed in my PM to you earlier, sleep does not work at all for me after applying RC2. I have since tested it other ways as well as choosing sleep from the Apple menu. And each time, once the power indicator light starts blinking the only way to get back the display it to power it off and back on. No amount of key pressing, mouse moving or power button pushing will bring it back. BTW, pressing the power button does make the light stop blinking and the caps lock button flashes briefly as if it is going to wake, but it never does. My system is running the F.04 F firmware, I have 3 Gb of RAM and a 1510 wifi card. The original install was with your GA CD, updated via HF1 and now HF2-RC2. HTH

Going to sleep was almost instant.

However, waking up I got a kernel panic. I'm not sure how I can pull that file and show you guys. I also have a few things connected to my 311 so some of those could have triggered it; VGA monitor, USB mouse, USB keyboard, speakers, SD card, iPhone.

I'm going to test this once more without any peripherals connected.

PS, I've noticed this before I upgraded to HF2: When I unplug my external display, my main 311's screen does not revert back to the default. Fix?

Could you try installing 11/09 GA to rebuild the partition, then HF2 (HF1 doesn't have to be there as all the files it writes are overwritten with HF2 anyway)?

Just want to make sure nothing else is interfering with this as it should be like clockwork.

Windows 7 will need a simple boot repair from the DVD after.

Going to sleep was almost instant.

However, waking up I got a kernel panic. I'm not sure how I can pull that file and show you guys. I also have a few things connected to my 311 so some of those could have triggered it; VGA monitor, USB mouse, USB keyboard, speakers, SD card, iPhone.

I'm going to test this once more without any peripherals connected.

PS, I've noticed this before I upgraded to HF2: When I unplug my external display, my main 311's screen does not revert back to the default. Fix?

Did you often use sleep before updating to HF2? Can you try putting it to sleep without any devicess connected (including WWAN)?

I used sleep quite often before HF2 with the same devices connected and never encountered a kernel panic upon wake. I think this is due to the newer VPMini kext that you included in the RC2.

While reading the kernel panic I saw a line of text regarding something about iCal helper. Is there a written log somewhere in the system that I can copy and paste here?

Could you try installing 11/09 GA to rebuild the partition, then HF2 (HF1 doesn't have to be there as all the files it writes are overwritten with HF2 anyway)?

Just want to make sure nothing else is interfering with this as it should be like clockwork.

Windows 7 will need a simple boot repair from the DVD after.

As you requested, ran the 11/09 GA package and then the HF2-RC2 package. Then I shutdown and restarted. Basically it still does the same thing, but now the caps lock light stays on when I press the power switch to wake it up. Before the caps lock would just flash and go back off, but now it stays lit. Only solution is the power down and power back up. HTH

I used sleep quite often before HF2 with the same devices connected and never encountered a kernel panic upon wake. I think this is due to the newer VPMini kext that you included in the RC2.

While reading the kernel panic I saw a line of text regarding something about iCal helper. Is there a written log somewhere in the system that I can copy and paste here?

Yeah... On resume it will have random threads reporting at the moment it KPs.... It is very likely to be VoodooPowerMini... I'll keep playing with the buiilds...

While I haven't had the issue you two are explaining (both of yours are different) I am going to continue down the troubleshooting path.

Thanks for the feedback both of you!

Because of the "Ethernet after awake"-problem I try never to make the laptop go to sleep, but it does so every time I close the lid. This is despite the fact that Ive set all the Energy Saver-options to Never (both for Battery and Power Adapter), and unchecked all the radioboxes.

Is there currently no way to stop the mini from going to sleep when lid is closed?

Seems like a great app for real macs, but unfortunately my system kept panicking (shut down) when running this :/ Anything else that has been verified to work with this setup?

I'm running both Caffeine and InsomniaX stable without any kernel panics. I'll have to test the issue where I get a KP if I resume from sleep. I have a feeling this could be InsomniaX related. Off to test.

Edit: Tested sleep with InsomniaX and Caffeine both disabled. Sleep and wake is instant, but I get a kernel panic after a couple seconds.

CURRENT GENERAL RELEASE: 11/09 GA (

CD/DVD or USB w/HF1)

CURRENT GENERAL HOTFIX: HF1

CURRENT RELEASE CANDIDATE: HF2 RC3

HF2 RC2 has been removed, RC3 fixes a possible VoodooPowerMini issue present in RC2 that would prevent resume or cause stability issues. RC1 also had a VoodooPowerMini issue that throttled the CPU down to 1GHz.

Thus far VoodooPowerMini has been our issues but I found that the release we are all using in HF1 to be the latest available but not via Superhai's link.

Please test this release candidate for stability.

I have bootable CD media ready to roll once stability is confirmed.

We should be safe going in to the 10.6.3 update without any further changes (aside from possible audio) once HF2 is tested and deployed. Again, we haven't actually tried 10.6.3 inhouse however Meklort's Cham 2 RC4 hacks have on the fly kernel patching for it's kernel.

Sleep and wake is instant without any kernel panics! CPU ID is still present. I've yet to see what else RC3 bears.

Going to sleep takes about 3 seconds, whereas RC2 was 2 seconds, but that's not really a big issue. Waking up is still instant.

Overall this seems pretty stable. Looks like a 3rd time charm.

No difference for me, still does not wake from sleep. Now when I press the power switch to wake it up, the only result is the power indicator stops blinking and comes on steady. The caps lock light does not come on at all.

FYI I first tried just going from RC2 to RC3 as I had not rolled back to HF1. There was no change so I went the GA reinstall and then directly to HF2-RC3. I've been trying to think of why my system is different, but cannot come up with anything other than I replaced my original hard drive with a 250 Gb unit. IIRC, sleep did work with HF1 but I always set my systems to never sleep so I didn't really use it. HTH

No difference for me, still does not wake from sleep. Now when I press the power switch to wake it up, the only result is the power indicator stops blinking and comes on steady. The caps lock light does not come on at all.

FYI I first tried just going from RC2 to RC3 as I had not rolled back to HF1. There was no change so I went the GA reinstall and then directly to HF2-RC3. I've been trying to think of why my system is different, but cannot come up with anything other than I replaced my original hard drive with a 250 Gb unit. IIRC, sleep did work with HF1 but I always set my systems to never sleep so I didn't really use it. HTH

I upgraded my hard drive from 250 > 320 before installing Snow Leopard and I don't have any problems with it. Still a 5400RPM.

There could be a minor fault in your hardware, but that would be on HP's behalf.

Have you tried doing a complete new vanilla install?

I used this guide and have not encountered a single error after the installation.

Edit: I've noticed that after sleep, you cannot invert screen colors. Not very relevant, but it's still missing.

Is it supposed to be named HF1?

HF1 is old HF2 is new... I slipstreamed HF2 info the fresh install package and the CD boot media as well as created a standalone hotfix package.

HF1 is old HF2 is new... I slipstreamed HF2 info the fresh install package and the CD boot media as well as created a standalone hotfix package.

HF3 seems to be more stable than HF2. Why didn't you include that?

HF3 seems to be more stable than HF2. Why didn't you include that?

I think you are mistaking HF2 with RC2... HF2 is the "release" we were sending through the release candidate stages. HF2 RC3 ended up being HF2 final.

HF2 general audience release = HF2 RC3

I usually like to take a while to test but fear Apple's release of 10.6.3 coming soon and I really only have weekends to spend long hours working on this.

Thanks for your feedback, it is much appreciated and needed.