theproto

HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Thread (Part II - CURRENT)

900 posts in this topic

can anyone try this one with a headset / mic to test the line in?

There are also improvements with the speaker and the headphones.

Can I just change out the kext or do you have to completely redo the install with the new boot stuff?

FWIW, I tried the new audio kext and it worked great at first, but after the 2nd or 3rd reboot I lost sound completely. Not sure why, never could get it back using that kext. I went back to the 04 pack kext and it is working fine now. Also tried Lizard to install the modified RC4 files, but that didn't work at all. HTH

Advertisement
10.6.3 is coming, with a new kernel, that imply at least 2 issues :

-need to patch the new kernel

-need to use a new sleepenabler

Meklort has released some new files,

a new SleepEnabler that works on any current version of 10.6, including 10.6.3 and

a new patched version of RC4, with many fixes including kernel patch

Those files will be very helpful... That means no more (or at least less) trouble updating OS X.

EDIT : Using this Bootloader I have resume from hibernation with my 2GB of RAM. However, USB is not available after...

Also less sound assertion at boot.

EDIT : I've been using this for several days and it's perfectly stable, and nice to have safe sleep even if USB is not available after resume. Could someone test this with 3GB? I've uploaded a retail pack with everything you need on my mediafire repo

Great post MowgliBook!

I've been pretty busy with holidays and work projects but have been following all of this and am likely to jump on with the latest patched RC4 from Meklort as testing proved stable just as yours has.

I hope to get HF2 out soon as an update and new boot media with HF2 slipstreamed for initial boot and install.

USB will come first and depending on reaction CD as time permits.

http://youfail.org/ :P

Audio Loss : Bad mkext, or bad DSDT

New Bootloader : ??? How do you manage to fail that?

I'm just good at it I guess! :)

The new audio kext worked great for awhile and then just stopped working when I restarted one time. Nothing that I did unusual that I know of. I tried rebuilding mkext with kext utility a couple of times but it never would work again. No audio output in sound pref pane. Put the audio kext from 04 pack in and things work fine again.

As for the bootloader, I didn't try hand copying the files but tried using Lizard which didn't work. I got red circles with slashes through them for all the files.

Can I just change out the kext or do you have to completely redo the install with the new boot stuff?

FWIW, I tried the new audio kext and it worked great at first, but after the 2nd or 3rd reboot I lost sound completely. Not sure why, never could get it back using that kext. I went back to the 04 pack kext and it is working fine now. Also tried Lizard to install the modified RC4 files, but that didn't work at all. HTH

not for me...

audio kext work well..

I only tried my iPhone headset with the old HDAIDT.kext and it doesn't work...I'll try with your new audio kext :)

Edit: To be clear, I meant the mic doesn't work but audio is automatically re channeled to the earbuds fine.

I only tried my iPhone headset with the old HDAIDT.kext and it doesn't work...I'll try with your new audio kext :)

Yeah.. I'm a BlackBerry guy, more specifically, a NEXTEL BlackBerry guy with a 2.5mm headset for my 8350i...

Some mixed news... HF2 is almost read to roll however 3GB memory hibernation resume is currently a no go with a patched cham RC4.

Verbose boot is still needed for complete stability on resume however we are talking about a 100% vanilla filesystem at this point without a kernel sitting on EFI.

I am still bothered by the hibernation piece and am testing more... HF2 is packaged but this is a big flaw.

I don't need to verbose boot to have a fully stable system after wake/resume but PS2 kext must be packed in the .mkext in the Extra Folder, and the mkext has to be synched with the Extension folder so that Chameleon 2 won't load both the extensions and the mkext.

I use kext utility to do that, and that works perfectly well, stable system, wake after sleep and hibernation, but no USB after hibernation (bootloader bug)

That's too bad if hibernation don't work with 3GB with the latest bootloader, and a bit weird actually... This kernel patching feature is very useful, and efficient. However, 10.6.3 will be a tricky update anyway, with much more changes than the kernel, we'll have new NVidia kext, and new AppleHDA, with hardcoded codecs which is a very very bad news for exotic codecs, like the one of the mini 311. I'll tell you more about that as soon as I can, but I'm now reconsidering VoodooHDA which would be a much better ticket, update-proof, HDMI, Headset, Line in etc.

About the kextcache that should be in EFI/Extra/ being synced with /S/L/E

kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions

(puts the resulting Extensions.mkext file in EFI as well; it's what the UpdateEFI.app from insanelywind does)

and then about the 10.6.3 update, aside from audio and sleep, what other features do we expect to be impacted by RC4? I'm assuming RC3 will require patched mach_kernel for the Atom since it won't automatically patch the vanilla kernel. And if we don't have a patched 10.6.3 we can't stick with RC3 as boot loader version...

I'm a bit concerned about 10.6.3+, trying to keep my hopes up that the general community will be able to ensure everything keeps working well but am kinda feeling the squeeze here where Apple seems to be closing oppertunities with each release. I don't blame them for protecting they flagship OS, but still don't like it. We are all helping Apple do this to us.

Hibernation has been a weak spot with Cham for a long time and they chose (IMO) the wrong patch, surely they didn't want to use netkas's working patch.

As for kext caches and such in the EFI volume. HF2 is based on having it's kext cache built against EFI/Extra/Extensions only. Sleep works like a champ and no extra kexts need to reside in /S/L/E. If you install drivers from other hardware vendors like Logitech and Alesis, they will reside in /S/L/E and no maintenance is needed of the EFI partition since we are not linking to /S/L/E.

I still need to validate the functionality of speedstep and such but things look to be going alright sofar. I may just end up biting the bullet on hibernation not functioning until newer patched RC4 releases crop up.

Then again, I haven't speend hours and hours on this new config and I am not in front of it at the moment... Like I said, I still need to validate my config is running as I think it is. Come to think of it, I may not be running from the cache at all. I haven't had a long period of time to spend on this lately but now the crunch is on with 10.6.3 coming down the pipe.

How is your testing coming along? Have either of you had a peek at 10.6.3 yet besides what the blogs lit up about?

Not a cheery post, not not a doomsday post either...

For those that didn't know, BIOS F.12 F was released today. Does anyone have some insight on this? Will installing work after people upgrade their BIOS?

For those that didn't know, BIOS F.12 F was released today. Does anyone have some insight on this? Will installing work after people upgrade their BIOS?

ENHANCEMENTS:

-Adds support for a new HP NetBook model.

-Fixes an issue where systems running a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System emit a squeaking noise when shutting down or when entering Hibernation mode.

Icelord has already done his work on this update: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/tra...EKjQUUfVKBiMPpA

It will be significant work bringing the DSDT up to date for this release. I will likely not update the DSDT until after HF2 is released and the whole 10.6.3 set of issues that could arise are tried, tested and behind us...

It sounds like MowgliBook is digging into the audio piece already and we have much testing to do once the OS update drops for all the hardware support that could be affected.

Again like I have said before, if Apple really wanted to lock us out of their OS they really could do it instead of "teasing" us with these little hurdles between updates almost as if to string the community along but rightfully make a hackintosh unfeasible for the non-technical user. I don't mind this approach, its just a bugger, but it protects Apple's hardware business and the community from too much spotlight.

At this point I would personally suggest staying with F.04 unless you are planning to work on it.

If someone has updated their firmware and could post a pristine, untouched DSDT from F.12 on this unit it would sure be appreciated though ;-)

If someone has updated their firmware and could post a pristine, untouched DSDT from F.12 on this unit it would sure be appreciated though ;-)

As someone who just got one today and updated to F.12 five minutes before finding this thread (DOH), I am happy to oblige:

If there is anything else you need to get a working dsdt, please let me know!

dsdt_F12.zip

As someone who just got one today and updated to F.12 five minutes before finding this thread (DOH), I am happy to oblige:

If there is anything else you need to get a working dsdt, please let me know!

Thanks, I'll run some comparisons and spend some time on this while waiting for some other things to come into place.

If all goes well, I will bump the project to F.12 as I don't envision supporting 2 DSDTs since I make many changes. One could see this by doing a diff on a stock F.04 and my F.04.

Thanks, I'll run some comparisons and spend some time on this while waiting for some other things to come into place.

If all goes well, I will bump the project to F.12 as I don't envision supporting 2 DSDTs since I make many changes. One could see this by doing a diff on a stock F.04 and my F.04.

Since I can't go backwards, I went forwards. Attached is dsdt using icelord's F12 bios if it matters.

EDIT: Also I wanted to report that even with the newer bios I am having perfect success with the install procedure as is- the DSDT must not be that different...

dsdt_icelord_F12.zip

Since I can't go backwards, I went forwards. Attached is dsdt using icelord's F12 bios if it matters.

EDIT: Also I wanted to report that even with the newer bios I am having perfect success with the install procedure as is- the DSDT must not be that different...

Thanks poofyhairguy, for completion of info could I ask much memory you have in your system? This makes differences in the DSDTs memory mapping and I like to know what i am working with... While it doesn't seem to have caused any users issues who are not running the 3GB I have generated my DSDTs off it is always best to have this info for future T/S if needed.

Ive followed the directions almost to the letter only diverting on point 4.) "Use Apple's Disk Utility on the Mac OS X 10.6 Install Disc to create a partition for the install". Instead I had 4 partitions made previously when I installed Windows 7, and now I used the third partition for the Mac-install. I had to format the windows-partition as well, since otherwise the mac os installation would not continue (had to do with an option for the disk having to be set - dont remember exactly what it was called).

The install worked fine, however, until I reached the point where I wanted to reinstall windows 7. Point 14 is where the problems begin, because boot camp assistant says "the startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk muyst be formatted as a single mac os extended (journaled) volume or already partitioned by boot camp assitant for installing windows".

Does this mean that in point 4 youre supposed to only have one single partition with the whole disk?

[ edit ]

I can now verify that you CAN NOT (at least in my experience) use a previously partitioned disk in point 4, but have to format the whole enchilada for it to work. Just a clarification for other newbies such as myself :)

Ok so I've switched to Darwinx86-HDAIDT-injector.kext and tried the iPhone's earphones - mic doesn't switch to the integrated mic on the iPhone's headset. It still picks up sound only via the 311's built-in mic.

I also tried using an Extensions.mkext (not including /S/L/E kexts in the kextcache) inside /Extra which contains only those kexts in /Extra/Extensions :

- AppleACPIBatteryMgr

- AppleACPIPS2Nub

- ApplePS2Controller

- Darwinx86-HDAIDT-injector

- VoodooPowerMini

- Disabler

- fakesmc

- SleepEnabler

Result after restart : I don't have trackpad.

So I redid the kextcache (includes /S/L/E); and restarted. I regained trackpad functionality.

I also tried using an Extensions.mkext (not including /S/L/E kexts in the kextcache) inside /Extra which contains only those kexts in /Extra/Extensions :

- AppleACPIBatteryMgr

- AppleACPIPS2Nub

- ApplePS2Controller

- Darwinx86-HDAIDT-injector

- VoodooPowerMini

- Disabler

- fakesmc

- SleepEnabler

Result after restart : I don't have trackpad.

So I redid the kextcache (includes /S/L/E); and restarted. I regained trackpad functionality.

happened to me before when i built the cache using the command line.

using kext utility saved me from adding /S/L/E into cache

Thanks poofyhairguy, for completion of info could I ask much memory you have in your system? This makes differences in the DSDTs memory mapping and I like to know what i am working with... While it doesn't seem to have caused any users issues who are not running the 3GB I have generated my DSDTs off it is always best to have this info for future T/S if needed.

Thank you proto! I have the stock everything still- 1 GB ram.

If there is anything else you need let me know!

Welcome to the HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Thread

CURRENT GENERAL RELEASE: 11/09 GA (CD/DVD or USB w/HF1)

CURRENT GENERAL HOTFIX: HF1

CURRENT RELEASE CANDIDATE: HF2 RC1

Please test cumulative Hotfix 2 Release Candidate 1

KNOWN ISSUES:

Hibernation: Hibernation may fail for some users depending on memory size, please report back your experience on this issue in the support forum.

CPU Detection: Shows unknown

Just posting here what the HF2 RC1 is for: (taken from theproto's post at the support thread)

HF2 removes GA's and HF1's /S/L/E kernel extensions to leave the system volume vanilla.