theproto

HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Thread (Part II - CURRENT)

900 posts in this topic

Advertisement
how i can disabled -v flag ???

Mount the EFI Partition:

sudo fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1
cd /Volumes
mkdir EFI
sudo mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

Then in finder open the EFI partition and open a file called com.apple.Boot.plist

Change <string>-pci1 -v</string> to <string>-pci1</string>

First of all, I'm happy to use OSX on my N510,

but i havent seen some Audio driver for the speakers..

Can someone post it, any download link or filename.

Look at the top of the page. Post #721

may i know how you created the extensions.mkext ?

i tried but the keyboard and mouse/track pad are not responding

do that secure virtual memory is mandatory?

external mouse and keyboard are working

PCWiz has an mkext tool on his site available for download. You can find it here:

http://tinyurl.com/mwjrof

HTH

N510??

Here we talk of HP mini 311!!

how i can disabled -v flag ???

post in a support thread please

I thought the HP311 and N510 have got the same Hardware...

But the sound doesnt work...

Have someone another driver?

I thought the HP311 and N510 have got the same Hardware...

But the sound doesnt work...

Have someone another driver?

sorry...

but here it's not a help thread

and specifically not for your laptop.

RULES:

1.) ALL HELP and support requests belong in the SUPPORT thread

2.) We repeat ALL HELP and support requests belong in the SUPPORT thread

3.) Do not offer up information that is already known and listed in this top post

4.) Keep all discussion related to Snow Leopard on the HP Mini 311

Hi

Been some time since I posted. Just wanna report that I had successfully configured and installed Sierra Wireless MC8775 (HP) on the WAN Slot...anyone interested I could post detailed instructions.. Only problem is, I can't get it to be recognized as a WWAN adaptor in SL.

It kinda runs - but the question how well does it kinda runs :D

For those who have tried - what's the performance like? Do you feel the hack takes away from the speed of the device? In particular GPU performance?

Cheers!

Then, how does SL see it?

It see it as a modem...just do dial up networking...does not seems to have taken hell lot of load from the CPU...battery life seems ok.

If I am able to get it to work as wwan card, I would have more information from the card like signal levels, powering if off, etc...but right now..it's just plain modem...let's hope sierra would come out with the drivers soon to make it a WWAN device instead.

Here is a little gift, ne new features but a cleaned un plist, that only shows working ports. (no line in, no HDMI)

After testing all is definitely well with this kext MowgliBook! Thank you sir! Very polished...

As for all the folks that would prefer working their EFI partition/MKLEXT after each update or device driver I am not really sure what to say... Doesn't sound very "user friendly" or "seemless" to me in all honesty...

I will have a new hotfix release out soon and am looking for more feedback in the support forum on content.

After testing all is definitely well with this kext MowgliBook! Thank you sir! Very polished...

As for all the folks that would prefer working their EFI partition/MKLEXT after each update or device driver I am not really sure what to say... Doesn't sound very "user friendly" or "seemless" to me in all honesty...

I will have a new hotfix release out soon and am looking for more feedback in the support forum on content.

IMO I think the setup of the install is fine as is. I think the installs should be as simple as possible for inexperienced users. Those that are more proficient can use the project files, like I do.

oh yeah, sleep doesn't work for me regardless of the 2nd MKext.

I would like to confirm with mkext in /E sleep/resume work without kernel flags -v (Thanks to the inputs from LeMaurien19 and MaxTools)

Concerning user friendliness, I found using Kext Utility, we don't have to refresh the mkext in E/E unless there were changes on the kexts in /E/E.

That is mkext in /E are only for kexts in /E/E and reaching the stability stage we have now (thanks to theproto and the rest of the teams) only once in a blue moon we update them.

To add more simplicity, I decided not to use EFI partition.

highlights on what works (tested with a fresh installation 10.6.2):

- boot sans -v

- sleep (all methods: button, menu, timed - hibernate mode 0 or 3)

- resume from sleep

- timed screen saver

cheers

I would like to confirm with mkext in /E sleep/resume work without kernel flags -v (Thanks to the inputs from LeMaurien19 and MaxTools)

Concerning user friendliness, I found using Kext Utility, we don't have to refresh the mkext in E/E unless there were changes on the kexts in /E/E.

That is mkext in /E are only for kexts in /E/E and reaching the stability stage we have now (thanks to theproto and the rest of the teams) only once in a blue moon we update them.

To add more simplicity, I decided not to use EFI partition.

highlights on what works (tested with a fresh installation 10.6.2):

- boot sans -v

- sleep (all methods: button, menu, timed - hibernate mode 0 or 3)

- resume from sleep

- timed screen saver

cheers

I am doing more testing with an mkext for /E/E only in the EFI partition without -v and without adding extensions in /S/L/E, if this passes I will build a 01/10 major release that will update existing installations as well.

I am also going to officially detail how to make a USB stick bootable and include the instructions for the project in PDF form with image downloads for simplicity.

I do question whether we still need a CD releaser or is USB fine with everyone as it would make things quicker for me.

I do question whether we still need a CD releaser or is USB fine with everyone as it would make things quicker for me.

I prefer this method as it is easier for me, as I have the necessary USB DVD drive. If you don't already have a USB flash drive with Snow Leopard, it can be time consuming to copy the DVD to the flash drive. At the same time I can see those who don't have the USB DVD drive preferring the USB flash drive method, which is why I wrote the flash drive installers. I tried to make these as simple as possible to use, but I never really thought about someone trying to do this without access to a Mac or Hack system. Guess you can't think of everything! :blink:

It kinda runs - but the question how well does it kinda runs :D

For those who have tried - what's the performance like? Do you feel the hack takes away from the speed of the device? In particular GPU performance?

Cheers!

Overall I am pretty happy with it. And the GPU performance seems very decent for OSX. H264 hardware acceleration seems to work fine. It plays back standard def 1500kbps H264 DVD encodes flawless in quicktime with less than 20% cpu utilization.

The big thing to look forward to will be when Flash for OSX finally supports hardware acceleration.

I prefer this method as it is easier for me, as I have the necessary USB DVD drive. If you don't already have a USB flash drive with Snow Leopard, it can be time consuming to copy the DVD to the flash drive. At the same time I can see those who don't have the USB DVD drive preferring the USB flash drive method, which is why I wrote the flash drive installers. I tried to make these as simple as possible to use, but I never really thought about someone trying to do this without access to a Mac or Hack system. Guess you can't think of everything! :D

I could be wrong, but if theproto did just the USb based installer, the individually would still be able to choose between the DVD or an additional flash drive as their source for the Snow Leopard image.

Instead of them burning a CD with his files, they would just have to use a 256mb USB drive instead. So they would't have to waste time copying the DVD to the flash drive if they didn't want to.

Oh and please do add that if ever one decides to use usb installer method to format the drive/flashdrive as mbr and NOT gpt cause the 311 doesn't like it.

@ theproto

I don't know if this input is useful but I Extensions.mkext is in /E/E and there were no modifications(added kexts) in /S/L/E aside from taking out ApplePS2Controller and VoodooPowerMini from there to transfer to /E/E/Exts.

I'm using 2 gb ram with hibernatemode 0 and no -v flags in boot plist. Resume works well from sleep (no blank screen). Not sure how it goes for 3 gb ram hibernatemo 3.

:angel:

hmm, I'm going to have to see where I'm going wrong because sleep just doesn't work and I've been using the mKext in /E for months.

10.6.3 is coming, with a new kernel, that imply at least 2 issues :

-need to patch the new kernel

-need to use a new sleepenabler

Meklort has released some new files,

a new SleepEnabler that works on any current version of 10.6, including 10.6.3 and

a new patched version of RC4, with many fixes including kernel patch

Those files will be very helpful... That means no more (or at least less) trouble updating OS X.

EDIT : Using this Bootloader I have resume from hibernation with my 2GB of RAM. However, USB is not available after...

Also less sound assertion at boot.

EDIT : I've been using this for several days and it's perfectly stable, and nice to have safe sleep even if USB is not available after resume. Could someone test this with 3GB? I've uploaded a retail pack with everything you need on my mediafire repo

Hi

Been some time since I posted. Just wanna report that I had successfully configured and installed Sierra Wireless MC8775 (HP) on the WAN Slot...anyone interested I could post detailed instructions.. Only problem is, I can't get it to be recognized as a WWAN adaptor in SL.

Hello,

can you post detailed instructions. I am looking to a working WWAN Card for my 311.

Greets

keinerdoof

internal mic (tried with logic) ok

i 'have not a headset with mic (so no test)

in system preferences switch from headphone to speaker report it the change

increase or decrease volume now have linear sound

good job..

btw, which one should i choose in Sound:Input ?

there are 2 devices, Internal Microphone and None, both of them are Built-in Microphone Type.

i guess first device is the one in netbook, so i tried the second one (None ?), i plugged in a standard goose neck microphone, i think it doesn't work because the indicator doesn't move at all.