theproto

HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Thread (Part II - CURRENT)

900 posts in this topic

@Theproto

about BAT dsdt code, have a look and check if the values/names are matching with the one inside our dsdt if it is the case a copy-paste should be ok as it is just reading stored values to make them useable for os X....I guess...

Anyway thanks for the great job and great effort, energy you are deploying in this also same for the others animating this place!!! :wacko:

Advertisement
EDIT: It may be time to pinch off another thread, what are your thoughts? Should we keep it in this forum, move it to another forum or platform? Would we lose too many users? What would facilitate further development? Google code is not an easy place to host code that we do not want to maintain a full code tree for. IDEAS?

Just a suggestion, if you do decide to go to yet another thread, you might not want to reference it in the support thread. People with questions are gonna be curious and check the other thread to see if they can find out anything else. Plus for a time there, all of the buzz was only on the project thread, making it difficult to avoid asking a support type question. Plus, given the fact that those on the support thread are sent here (top post) to get the installer, etc, it's only natural they will want to see how you came up with all this good stuff!

@Theproto

about BAT dsdt code, have a look and check if the values/names are matching with the one inside our dsdt if it is the case a copy-paste should be ok as it is just reading stored values to make them useable for os X....I guess...

Anyway thanks for the great job and great effort, energy you are deploying in this also same for the others animating this place!!! :)

I'm sifting through it right now trying to line up come calls and this is not a simple mod... This look like it was written for an Intel device initially based on where its trying to get data from.

I'll keep chugging away as I wouldn't mind getting this going.

OK, I've got battery status on time remaining and time until charged...

Not from dropping in code from any battery device sections but analyzing the flow from both the well commented code thorias provided and finding where data would have not been presented to the OS.

There is no way we could have dropped that code into this DSDT its a much different beast... But it helped me understand it better. Thanks!

It looks like we might be golden very soon on this... I am going to verify it through and through to make absolutely sure its not flakey over the next hour and upload it for those who know how to use a DSDT file to try. If you do not know how to use it please wait until I release the first hotfix. Shouldn't be too much longer that will simply insert this file into you EFI partition without touching anything else.

And here is the DSDT I promised... Only use it if you know how :-)

Let me know if you are capped at 2 Hours as well the longest time your system is projected to last.

Please test this thoroughly as it will be rolled into a hotfix once we are confident all is well.

MowgliBook - Can you test whatever it was you were testing with the battery in Keynote? I'm curious is we've got that resolved now.

All this looks to be possibly related to a tiny mistake by HP or their ODM.

EDIT: Listening to a little Thrice and reading code mix well... Seems to work very well here!

And here is the DSDT I promised... Only use it if you know how :-)

Let me know if you are capped at 2 Hours as well the longest time your system is projected to last.

yup, i got 0:30 for 26% remaining

yup, i got 0:30 for 26% remaining

Thanks. I suppose we could time it, I have an external drive connected as well. We should time it to see if it accurate for fun... I mean I don't know how many notebooks are spot on but it would be nice to know.

My display suspending seems to be working tonight.

Also what about Boot Think? it's a nice boot loader, I'll give it a try with the mini, and it is also the only bootloader which work on my pc!! for some reason cham and pcefi hangs don't know why and didn't investigate much, but with boot think it is rock solid!!!

Also what about Boot Think? it's a nice boot loader, I'll give it a try with the mini, and it is also the only bootloader which work on my pc!! for some reason cham and pcefi hangs don't know why and didn't investigate much, but with boot think it is rock solid!!!

I've used Boot Think for quite some time however must tell you that it does leave much to be desired once you get beyond its nice setup, saving of its limited config options and built in theme. It really is just Cham, PC EFI with features removed. Kext caches are not the way to go on our device in the long term and Windows 7 requires our modded boot0 for hibernation.

Just letting you know that I've been down that road before many times...

I'll have a new DSDT that should also take into account voltages instead of remaining capacity later toeday when I get home.

This will give us an accurate reading of more than just a solid 2:00 hours if all works as expected.

I am also going to try to find the cycle count's stored value fro mthe board in the DSDT for completeness even though that is not a part of the ACPI spec.

So while it is working, I want to complete it so that it is perfect today.

If you haven't tested thats fine just wait until I upload a new one later.

It seems that Boot Think doesn't work with SL.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168779

It works just fine with SL just not very elegantly. In fact that was the initial boot loader I started with on this projet.

But I will not recommend it to anyone here for any reason. We are pretty much using the gold standard here with Cham/PC EFI.

Boot Think is very basic and doesn't support hibernation among many other features. You really don't want to go down that path. They are always playing catchup since their code is based of this other code and stipped down.

It works just fine with SL just not very elegantly. In fact that was the initial boot loader I started with on this projet.

But I will not recommend it to anyone here for any reason. We are pretty much using the gold standard here with Cham/PC EFI.

Boot Think is very basic and doesn't support hibernation among many other features. You really don't want to go down that path. They are always playing catchup since their code is based of this other code and stipped down.

Well, looks like no real update tonight... I wasn't able to build in the logic yet as it doesn't seem as easy as I had hoped... For now I am content with the time being locked to the charge/capacity as applications read the value being provided.

It would be nice to have the power draw play into this instead of that 2 hours time shifting with the capacity. This is better than what we have but not quite there yet.

So I got my 311 fully up and running following all the great tutorials here, but I do want to add something that might help a few people out.

I had a Broadcom Draft N card that I installed in the full sized slot and wanted to hook up, however I had no extension cables. I ended up finding a way to do it without purchasing extra cables. I took the keyboard off and the back pannel and gently guided the 2 wifi cables back out a bit until they were comming out of a hole near the hard drive. I then took the wires and pulled them through one of the holes on the plate that the keyboard is mounted too and strung them over to where the mini wifi slot is. I taped the wires down to the plate on the laptop case under they keyboard and had plenty of length to attach to the draft card. Now the 2 wires come up right next to the mini wifi card and reach pretty easily to the connectors on the full sized card. (I had to tape pin 20) Everything is working great now....

Hope this helps a few people that might have been going through the frustration of having no wifi and no easy way to get it as I was...

So I got my 311 fully up and running following all the great tutorials here, but I do want to add something that might help a few people out.

I had a Broadcom Draft N card that I installed in the full sized slot and wanted to hook up, however I had no extension cables. I ended up finding a way to do it without purchasing extra cables. I took the keyboard off and the back pannel and gently guided the 2 wifi cables back out a bit until they were comming out of a hole near the hard drive. I then took the wires and pulled them through one of the holes on the plate that the keyboard is mounted too and strung them over to where the mini wifi slot is. I taped the wires down to the plate on the laptop case under they keyboard and had plenty of length to attach to the draft card. Now the 2 wires come up right next to the mini wifi card and reach pretty easily to the connectors on the full sized card. (I had to tape pin 20) Everything is working great now....

Hope this helps a few people that might have been going through the frustration of having no wifi and no easy way to get it as I was...

That's really impressive, but wouldn't it be easier to flash the BIOS and use the half-size slot?

That's really impressive, but wouldn't it be easier to flash the BIOS and use the half-size slot?

Yes but he is using a full sized card and didn't need to buy a new half height card.

Great info for folks in the same situation.

Has anyone tried to get it woking with the laptop closed via HDMI and using an external keyboard and mousse.

Cheers

This is not 311 specific and hsould be in the support forum, however... You will need to use a third party kernel extension like InsomniaX just like a real Mac would.

This is not 311 specific and hsould be in the support forum, however... You will need to use a third party kernel extension like InsomniaX just like a real Mac would.

I've tried Insomniax a few times and its kp's on on so i would advise against that unless it works for you.

im running the new dsdt and it seems i think the counter never goes higher than 1:54. do you want me to time it at like medium backlight with a mouse and iphone plugged in and see if its legit?

I've tried Insomniax a few times and its kp's on on so i would advise against that unless it works for you.

im running the new dsdt and it seems i think the counter never goes higher than 1:54. do you want me to time it at like medium backlight with a mouse and iphone plugged in and see if its legit?

For whatever reason... I know why but cannot fix it easily it will cap at 2:00 (being 100%) the actual time is not tied to the time listed in any way as it is soley based on capacity and not rate of drain.

In other "news" I have been busy baking up a new DSDT with some "backported" ethernet code along with additional EC, SMB and LPC code to support further DSDT development.

I have done extensive sleep and hibernation testing and the perfect stability has not been hampered in any way.

i have not tested ethernet resume yet but hope plan to soon. Anyone can give it a go if they please and provide feedback on whether it helped or not with ethernet.

Thanks.

EDIT: Enough testing... Removed file...

Hi Proto

ethernet don't resume after sleep

battery level show correct value percentuage until full (when powered)

without power adapter it show full 100% (not true)

back GA dsdt

Hi Proto

ethernet don't resume after sleep

battery level show correct value percentuage until full (when powered)

without power adapter it show full 100% (not true)

back GA dsdt

Please elaborate as I do not see the issue you have with the battery percentage.

If I have been charging my device (to full) and unplug AC it shows 2:00 and 100% (this is to be expected at this point) however if I let it drain a bit, I will then see the battery show under %100 (in this case 91%).

No if I plug it in for a moment (long enough for it to calculate until charged and unplug it, then the battery will show 100% for about 15-30 seconds then display the correct percentage.

This is reproducible over and over and is likely the way it will remain as it allows applications to function as expected at this point.

Let me know if this is not what you were seeing.

Hello theproto and everybody else involved so far. First, I wanted to say thanks for all your hard work thus far. This thread has made installing OSX on my Mini 311-1025NR truly a breeze.

In fact, I've got a successful triple-boot right now of OSX 10.6.2, Win 7 Home Premium, and Ubuntu 9.10, using the steps in the original post, in conjunction with this triple boot guide. For anybody interested, it went something like this:

1. Boot the project BootCD, and when you're at the OS selection screen, remove the BootCD, and insert the Snow Leopard Retail DVD.
  2. Press F5 to refresh, and select the Snow Leopard Install DVD.
  3. Once in the installation environment, open Disk Utility. Select the disk you want to install to
  4. Select the "Partition" tab to the right, and select the number of partitions you are going to want in the end. For me, I did 4. 1 OSX, 2 Win7, 3 Ubuntu, 4 swap.
  5. Size the partitions as you would like. The OSX partition should be "Mac OS Extended Journaled", everything else set to FAT (they will all be reformatted).
  6. Go down to "Options" and select GUID Partition Table. Ok and apply. Let disk utility do its thing. Once it's done, quit the OSX installer, and shut down the machine.
  7. First install Windows 7, so put the install disc in and boot it. When you select the partition, format it as NTFS and continue installation as normal
  8. Next is Ubuntu. Put the LiveCD in, and enter the live environment (not just the installer). Format the partitions created earlier as EXT3, and linux-swap. Install Ubuntu as normal.
  9. after installation, don't reboot just yet. Right now the GPT/MBR hybrid was lost, thanks to the Ubuntu installer. So we need to repair that first.
  10. Enter a terminal. Enter sudo apt-get install refit. Once the refit package is installed, enter sudo gptsync /dev/sda. This will fix the hybrid-ness...
  11. Nooowww it's time to install OSX. So put the BootCD back in, and boot the Install DVD once more. Proceed through the installation. You shouldn't need to mess with disk utility this time around.
  12. After the installation is complete, reboot with the BootCD back in. When it loads, this time select your OSX volume. It should boot.
  13. At this point, follow steps 9-11 from Mac OS X Installation using the project's latest CD/DVD release in the original post.
  14. Follow steps 23-25 to repair the Windows 7 installation.
  15. You're done!! Test out booting each operating system. Works like a champ for me!

Anyways, hope this helped somebody :(

EDIT: P.S. How come the search function on this site doesn't work? Or is it just me?

EDIT: P.S. How come the search function on this site doesn't work? Or is it just me?

Nope, not just you. you can't even search this thread for Mini, or for that matter ANYTHING!

Great guide by the way... I personally won't be tri-booting but there are platy of others that surely will and that is great info!

not sure if this already known,

i removed the -v and the unit is able to resume correctly

i am using the HF dsdt.aml

EDIT: pmset hibernatemode is 3

thx the proto :)