Need guidance on installing 10.6 on an AMD system

3 posts in this topic

I've tried numerous times now to get SL 10.6 installed on my computer. First, the specs:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+ at 3.2 GHz

Abit KN9-SLI

GeForce 9600 GT

4GB DDR2 800

HDD- 160GB Sata I

HDD 500GB SATA II

HDD 500GB SATA II

HDD 280GB SATA II

LG GH20LS10 DVD DL

Now...I've tried a few tutorials out there...and they all seemt o fail on generating a DSDT.aml file... I think it's because I am doing this all through a VM.

Here are the tools at my disposal:

Snow Leopard retail DVD

10.5 image for VM (successfully running in VMWare...that was a download :) )

USB drive 16GB

USB drive 4GB

blank CDR's

and time.

I've tried many tutorials, mainly centered around needing a Mac...which I could possibly borrow my roommates, but she's in school for a Psych degree and everythign on her computer is confidential so getting her to let me borrow it would be a feat in itself.

I remember at one time, that I got Leopard installed on this computer once upon a tme ago, but I lost the DVD and the ISO image I had...so... I dunno if that helps.

Where should I look???

Alright,

So, I now have a Mac OSX 09 box set, with Snow Leopard, iWork and iLife. Got a small discount through work and I also downloaded "Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2]". My reasoning is to be able to boot into atleast Tiger. Now, as opposed to the other 10.4 disc I downloaded, I guess I selected the wrong post-install hacks and it would only get to a blue screen and hang. With the JaS disc, I get to a grey background, with the apple logo, and after 1-2 minutes, my screen stops with a message that I need to restart. Nothing else, no description as to why.

What I did was follow this toturial, in conjunction with this one.

Now, everything works great! I install, it reboots into Tiger just fine, then I reset, change from SATA1 to IDE0 as mty boot device, and it looks like it's about to till I get the error to reboot.

If I could get a screenshot, I would but I have no means to at the moment. Again, the error just says I need to restart.

I touched on everything I can about my hardware... except maye that I use a PS/2 keyboard, pretty simple, no extra switches or buttong, and a simple two button mouse with a scroll wheel on USB.

Is there something else I need to look out for. I know the AMD platform is going to be tough going in my quest to eventually boot into Snow Leopard, but I just don't have the money to spend on a whole new system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Alright, getting a little further on this...

Still working with the 10.4.8 JaS disc...

I reboot and boot off the partition and for startup options, I plug in '-v' to get an idea where it may be failing. Some things I could read and copy down that stood out are:

ApplePS2Mouse: Probe failed

(this could be because my mouse is currently plugged in as USB...I will be buying an adapter as soon as I have $$$)

Kextd[25]: Kextd_watch_volumes: couldn't setup diskarb sessions

Kextd[25]: diskarb isn't ready yet; we'll try again soon.

(followed by a line that says login window application started)

Kextd-parent[24]: IOKitWaitQuiet() timed out

and then it stops right there.

I try to log in to single use rmode...nope.

I try to login in safe mode...nope.

Again, this is all in trying to get a working Mac OS X working, and I have gathered so far that I would have luck using the 10.4.8 install as a stepping stone to get to 10.6.

Anyone have any ideas?