• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
Sign in to follow this  
sparkdude

Marvell 88SE6111 IDE on P5Q with Snow Leopard ?

13 posts in this topic

I have a P5Q (vanilla) with a Q9550 @ 3.7.

I have a retail Snow Leopard install - booting with PCEFI 10.5 (over a Chameleon R2 install).

My problem is that I have a DVD burner and an old hard disk hooked up to the Marvell IDE port of the motherboard - and with my current setup, neither of gets detected after boot.

I have tried an old kext (AppleVIAATA) from 10.5.6, but it doesn't seem to work.

What bugs me is that I have played with iPC about 6 months ago, and from that version (10.5.5?), it could see everything hooked up to my Marvell 88SE6111... I could even go as far as installing straight from the IDE DVD Drive (using iPC).

Has anybody had success with Marvell 88SE6111 IDE (ASUS P5Q) on Snow Leopard ?

how can i setup 32bit instead of 64bit mode? Is there a kext to enable marvell ide devices? I have two dvd-writer ide...plz help me!

I've got basically the same problem which I have yet to resolve.

What really drives me nuts is that I DID have this drive working briefly under a previous install of SL which I somehow botched up and had to scrap. I thought I had all of the kexts I used saved, but I can't get any of to work this time around.

Some one, please help us!

thanks.

This work very well.

:D

i get:

System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) dependency resolution failure; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

kextlibs /Extra/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext

For i386:

com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily = 2.0.1

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily = 2.6

com.apple.kpi.iokit = 10.0

com.apple.kpi.libkern = 10.0

For x86_64:

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily = 2.6

com.apple.kpi.iokit = 10.0

com.apple.kpi.libkern = 10.0

113 symbols not found in any library kext.

whats the problem?

You install with Kexthelper?

If yes try to load Kext Utility to repair permission and try to install with this.

You also have to active Marvell Control by Bios f you have disable it.

Try to find SuperVIAATA.kext for better 64-bit support for your Marvell PATA ports. Works best with only one drive connected and jumpered as master.

Note that this does not let the eSATA port work, nor the white SATA ports as they are on a Silicon Image controller (ref: topic linked to in the post above).

Dear Gringo, thanks for directing us to obtaining SuperVIAATA.kext but I cannot find any reference on InsanelyMac as to the origin (apparently it's created by user c0rk007hck) and more specifically, a working 64-bit version (that may be working for Lion 10.7.x as well).

Could you be so kind and let us know if (1) there's a 64-bit (also Lion-compatible) version and (2) if this is a kind of dead project? The only thing I find on Google is original v1.0.2 dated from 4 October 2009...

Many thanks in advance!

It should work, it worked fine on Snow Leopard for me in 64-bit kernel and drivers mode last time I tried it.

My 6121 is currently deactivated in the BIOS because I don't use it but I do have the driver installed here on 10.7.3.

I'll let you know if it works next time I boot up Lion.