snow leo ti firewire pci express GUID invalid / security mode

groundchuck

10 posts in this topic

hey all, kind of new to this, so please bear with me.

i've mostly gotten snow leopard up and running. just a few issues i'm still hoping to resolve regarding my firewire card.

i'm getting a number of errors on bootup and that continue to spam my console while up and running:

localhost kernel[0]: FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)

localhost kernel[0]: FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 823f PCI now active, GUID 0000000000000000; max speed s800.

mcube kernel[0]: ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

mcube kernel[0]: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid! (which continues to spam my console after bootup)

the system profiler lists the card as:

Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec

without recognizing what kind it is etc.

i'm able to access firewire hdds thru the card, however the xfer speeds are low at 9MB/sec. on the same drive and card thru windows 7 i'm getting 22MB/sec.

i'm hoping to get the card to work better as i'm hoping to be able to use it with a motu mk2 firewire audio interface...

i've tried switching the card to all the other PCI Express slots on my mobo without making any difference.

i installed SL according to this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183751

the firewire card is a PCI Express 400 800 combo unit with a TI XIO2213 chipset: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...%20ti%20xio2213

my mobo is an asus p6t6 ws revolution: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131358

any help would be much appreciated. thanks!

Did you disable the motherboard's FW port? Maybe that's what's causing the issue.

My experience is that TI and VIA-based cards work OOB.

thanks for the reply.

the motherboard has no onboard firewire of it's own...

i had heard that the TI chips were the easiest to get working. hence why i got one... must be something i'm missing.

i bought another card. this one also has a TI chipset, but is only a 400. seems to have solved both the GUID and security-mode errors although i'm still getting runtime power conservation disabled...

the new card also has fixed the slowness issue.

i guess the combo 800/400 TI card just wasn't recognized or something... i'd like to get a 800 card working in the future, but at the moment i don't have any 800 devices so it's not urgent. anyone else have issues with 800 cards?

Now I am searching for month for this issue: "FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)".

I can't use my firewire audio interface properly because of this issue!

But there is no fix for this at the moment.

yeah i'm also still getting that error, however my motu mk2 audio interface seems to be working fine...

• 2 weeks later...
Same problem here with a MOTU 828 and a Traveler.

The Interfaces work but i get this annoying:

kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!

message... ever5 sec....

any solutions yet?

only thing i found that helped was getting a new firewire card... get one of the TI 400 cards.

• 8 months later...