UD5 EX58 install issue

bossent20

25 posts in this topic

hi

i am so close on getting snow leopard working. i followed the guide for UD5 ex58 mobo users on core i7 systems...

i have two internal drives. one used for leopard and one i just made a single partition on for this snow leopard install

i followed the instructions perfectly twice over for the EFI install method

but when it comes to the kext loader part in the patcher, i get stuck. i do not see what i should select but what i do choose is the first option.. 'N' and press enter for normal cache install (whatever this was)

it did not look like it was installing much coz it lasted a second or so.

then it gave me the numbered options again in the main window of the patcher

i was unsure about installing DSDT, but since this is the system im using, i understand it should be installing it., so i did

at time to reboot, i did so, but when putting in -v... etc... it gave me some errors. and just stuck

i am unable to load snow leopard

is there something i missed out. i have this exact same hardware

please if anyone can help much appreciate the time

thank you

thank you and yes my leopard install works a treat

but i do desperately need to have snow leopard instead

this is my procedure

hard drive 1 - has leopard installed (10.5.7) using iatkos v7 install disc

once inside leopard i do the following:

to follow instructions for the guuide on ex58 ud5 corei7 systems...

i open disk utitlity and make a single partition using GUID for my second drive which i want snow leopard installed

i then use the ud5 mobo patcher installer and go through the steps as instructed

i install snow leopard just fine, and then the guide tells you to type in -v -x32 (if using /Extra method) and -v arch=i386 (if using EFI method)

however, both methods failed upon booting into Snow Leopard. i got an error in verbose mode i believe it was. one part of the text said something about 'No system yet' or some sort

any ideas what i can do please?

have i missed something out?

many thanks

here is my spec:

core i7 920

gigabyte ud5 ex58

corsair dominator 6gb RAM

80gb deskstar internal drive (for Leopard)

250gb desktar internal drive (for snow leopard) or vice versa whatever i choose)i do have two other internal drives 1tb each (samsung spinpoint) but they are used for DATA and downloads

i am certain my BIOS is setup accordingly. i followed the instructions for this guide in order

many thanks for any further help

NOTE:

I used iatkos v7 for my install of Leopard 10.5.7

will this Snow Leopard guide only work if I installed Leopard using the mobo patch and a retial disc for Leopard, or was installing Snow Leopard from the iatkos v7 install okay to do?

please can anyone give me a quick step by step run down on how to get snow leopard with lepard installed using that GUIDE for UD5 ex58 mobos

thank you

Make sure in BIOS that SATA is set to AHCI.

Your steps through the installer seem correct. I would suggest that you use the /Extra method and install the Chameleon v2 bootloader and certainly you need to do the DSDT patch , ie run steps 2-7 of the installer (I assume you are using version 4.10 of the installer).

Once the install is complete, exit from Terminal and reboot. When you see the Splash screen at reboot depress F12, this will take you to a DOS screen where you can select a device to boot from. Select Harddrive and the drive that has SnowLeopard installed - hit Enter. You should see the Chameleon opening screen, an icon with the SL HD should be in the middle of the screen with a timing bar below. Hit the space bar before the timer reaches zero. You should now see icons for both HDs with the SL HD outlined. Type "-s arch=i386" (without the quotation marks) and hit Return. There will be a lot of text that scrolls by on the screen, eventually it will stop. At that cursor type "buildcache" (again without the quotes) and hit return. It will run for a bit then stop. At this point reboot.

Again use F12 at the splash screen to direct that the SL HD be the boot device (or you can enter BIOS and set the SL HD as the first HD boot). At the chameleon screen hit the space bar and type arch=i386 then return. you should boot into SL.

The -s boot flag is for singleuser mode, the arch=i386 flag is for 32bit mode. You can enter the arch=i386 flag in the boot.plist if you want to always boot into 32 bit mode. There is an 'edit boot.plist' item in DD's installer that will allow you to do this.

thank you very much for that extra bit of info

some points i like to add tho - more like questions...

1 - i wish to make use of 64-bit. is this possible?

2 - do i need to use 32-bit using arch=i386 everytime or only for the ifrst time on boot

3 - and the other flags such as -s. do i need to do this everytime too, or just the first time during this setup process?

again thank you for the help

Make sure in BIOS that SATA is set to AHCI.

Your steps through the installer seem correct. I would suggest that you use the /Extra method and install the Chameleon v2 bootloader and certainly you need to do the DSDT patch , ie run steps 2-7 of the installer (I assume you are using version 4.10 of the installer).

Once the install is complete, exit from Terminal and reboot. When you see the Splash screen at reboot depress F12, this will take you to a DOS screen where you can select a device to boot from. Select Harddrive and the drive that has SnowLeopard installed - hit Enter. You should see the Chameleon opening screen, an icon with the SL HD should be in the middle of the screen with a timing bar below. Hit the space bar before the timer reaches zero. You should now see icons for both HDs with the SL HD outlined. Type "-s arch=i386" (without the quotation marks) and hit Return. There will be a lot of text that scrolls by on the screen, eventually it will stop. At that cursor type "buildcache" (again without the quotes) and hit return. It will run for a bit then stop. At this point reboot.

Again use F12 at the splash screen to direct that the SL HD be the boot device (or you can enter BIOS and set the SL HD as the first HD boot). At the chameleon screen hit the space bar and type arch=i386 then return. you should boot into SL.

The -s boot flag is for singleuser mode, the arch=i386 flag is for 32bit mode. You can enter the arch=i386 flag in the boot.plist if you want to always boot into 32 bit mode. There is an 'edit boot.plist' item in DD's installer that will allow you to do this.

You only need -s flag on the initial boot, arch=i386 is to force 32bit mode. You will find you need different kexts depending on 32 or 64bit mode. It is usually easier to start in 32 bit mode, get things set up and working and then move to 64 bit mode as kexts need to be different for networking, audio, sleep, etc.

A problem with installing SL from 10.5 is that 10.5 cannot build a proper cache for 10.6 (hence the singleuser mode, buildcache at first boot). What I have found is that when installing from 10.5 to SL, I use the first install as only a stopgap. Once I have 10.6 working (from 10.5), I install 10.6 from the present install to a new install (usually, erase the 10.5 install and install to that HD). Installing from 10.6 to a 10.6 install avoids cache and permission problems, all which can be fixed, but it is better to not have to do that.

thanks again this is what i plan on doing basically

i obviously have a retail snow leopard dvd

i formatted my entire system, so now im going to install leopard using iatkos v7 dvd

i will then attempt the mobo patch installer as you instructed for snow leopard's install onto my other drive

i then intend to format leopard and put windows on there

is this the correct procedure to have snow leopard or should i reinstall snow leopard as a clean install after the first install of snow leopard? (if i understood correctly - sorry if that's a little confusing)

and i understand the -s flag is only on initial boot, but you say arch must be done each time? (thats why im asking bout that second clean install of snow leopard

thanks very much for your help

Install from 10.5 to 10.6, use that 10.6 install for a second 'clean' 10.6. Once working, you can reformat the first 10.6 install and use that disk for Windows if desired.

Yes, -s for first boot into first 10.6. After that use arch=i386 if you wish to boot in 32bit mode. If you want 64 bit mode, no boot flag required.

thanks so much

just to add...

i once tried installing from leopard to snow leopard via the retail install disc within leopard's desktop

im assuming the dvd did not load upon reboot coz i did not have the correct kexts installed from before

so the only way to clean install snow leopard is to double click the retail disc of it within a snow leopard desktop?

i know i sound confused, but im just making sure i understand once and for all

thanks

PS - intend to use my 250gb drive for Win7 and 80gb drive for SL. i just installed leopard on 250gb and will now use the mobo pacth installer to install SL on the 80gb

once done, il boot into SLon that 80gb drive and reinstal SL clean on its same 80gb drive

after which il setup win7 on the 250gb

is this correct?

thanks again

thank you again for your time on this. u have been helpful, and i am so close but this is what happened

i followed steps 2-7 for the /extra method to install SL

when it was done i followed your isntructions and hit F12 to choose the 80gb drive holding Snow Leopard

when i went into chameleon 2 splash screen, i selected the drive with SL and starting typing -s arch...

but that's where it thought i pressed eneter, when i didn't obviously. it went onto the next screen automatically after i typed 'h'. i had =i386 to copntinue with

so on that following screen it gave a bunch of text for about a minute or so. this all happened overlaying the chameleon screen

then it went to a black DOS-like screen and thats where i typed builcache

it then did some more text and told me to type reboot. so i did and it rebooted.

upon selection of SL this time, i typed arch=i386 and pressed enter

it brought up more text and was about to start after it says it found DSMOS

but upon this auto reboot, i could see the HD light on my system doing something, but my monitor went into the orange light, meaning it was not responding, therefore nothing onscreen

now im wondering if this happened due to chameleon automatically going to that next screen ebfore i finished the flag line

so what i did this time was a hard reboot.

and this time i was able to type the whoe -s flag with i386 ending

i rebooted after typing builcache

after reboot i typed arch=i386 but it did that same thing again by giving me some text then auto reboot into a monitor save mode

any ideas please? has this ruined my install or is everything intact and i can just try to type more flags and try again?

thank you

......about the screen problem.......

when the screen went off i left it as it is this time hoping it might kick in.

i think form whats happening, i am on the initial setup screen because after leaving it for about 10 mins or so, it went into sleep mode. i thought it went off. i pressed my power button and it never showed my BIOS splash screen so it must be awake in the mac setup screen.

only thing is i cant see it

i am using a zotac nvidia gtx 275

there are drivers for this on the iatkos v7 dvd, but what do i do to solve this. is this my problem. or have i missed something.

thank you again

You now have 10.6 on the 250gb drive, from there use DD's installer to install 10.6 onto the 80gb drive - you are done.

Hi again

No i installed 10.5 to the 250gb coz i thought i was only installing 10.6 the one time for the 80gb

but from what you said must i now do this?

1 - install 10.5 to the 80gb

2 - use the mobo patch installer to install 10.6 to the 250gb

3 - if i can then boot into SL 10.6 on the 250gb... i then use that OS to install SL again but on the 80gb?

thanks you again very much

It appears that you have arrived at the point that the SL install is working but the video drivers are missing for your card. There are 'fixes' to get your card to work, take a look around the forum there are a number of people who have that card and have gotten it to work.

What has happened is you got through the install and boot process but when the computer would normally bring up the gui Mac screen, the video card shuts down because the proper drivers are not there - in other words you are booted into SL but you don't see it because of a video problem.

You could try -x boot flag at the chameleon screen. This will put you in safe mode but sometimes this allows the video card to work (in limited fashion, default 1024x768 resolution). It's not a fix but will let you boot into SL and go through initial account setup, etc.

thanks very much

i hope it wont be hard to find solutions for it on this forum

il make a new topic about it

thanks again very much

by the way... was i correct about the order of installing leopard, then snow, then again to a clean snow install?

is this because you cannot install SL over its current SL install on the 80gb?

and what if i wish to format and install SL again. do i go through that process or can i just reinstall on the smae drive without formatting my others

thank you

just to add....

i have the iatkos v7 dvd installer disc. on there is a natit enabler for nvidia drivers. along with that is a gtx 200 series driver. that's what i used for leopards install. it was working perfectly and reading my card well. should i just install that?

okay so this is what i have done...

i typed -x and hit enter (was there anything else to use after -x?)

after doing so, it went through a lot of text. scroling screen by screen for about a minute

it then took me to a black screen with that further text. it said something about Please convert... someting

it then said waiting for DSMOS and under that it said systemshutdown false ... i think it was

i waited and it found DSMOS and under that it says systemshutdown false = 3

whatever this means ?????

it then stopped and my monitor signal went again

so i take it i cant even boot into safe mode?

im really stuck yet so close

UPDATE:

good news.... i used the iatkos dvd installer for natit enabler and gtx 200 driver

i booted into SL 10.6 just fine

bad news is.... the graphics is not showing up with my native resolution. it only gives me an option for one resolution.

obviously this graphics driver is only for 10.5

another problem i am facing is that i keep going through a long time of scrolling text whenever i boot into 10.6 and now even on my original 10.5

why is the text scrolling appearing every time now. to be honest it is quite annoying. is there any way to avoid all that and boot directly into the OS like i did before right after chameleon?

thanks

The text is scrolling because you are booting in verbose (-v) mode. To boot without it -v needs to be removed from the boot.plist in the Extras folder. To do this run DDs installer and after making sure it is going to install on the desired HD, select Modify Plists and then modify the boot.plist (remove the -v boot flag). Once that is done rerun Install Bootloader - be sure to use the same bootloader that you originally installed.

In DDs script the plists are loaded with the bootloader so the bootloader command needs to be rerun after changing a plist. If you want to you can modify the boot.plist from outside the installer: Open the Plists folder inside his installer folder and then open the boot.plist file with TextEditor (just double click on the file). Look through the file for the Boot Flag key and under that will be listed the boot flags. Edit out the -v flag and save the file. Now start the Installer and run the load bootloader command.

Doing it by either method, exit the installer and reboot. You should now see the normal Apple screen while booting rather than scrolling text.

Glad to hear that you have the video will at least work even if in default resolution. Now you need to do further research to get it to work correctly. Video and audio are two of the minor hurdles to overcome, the biggie is if you are fussy about the Sleep function.

Once you have a 'clean' 10.6 install you don't need the 10.5 install. Any 10.6 install from an existing 10.6 install will work correctly. There would be no need to go back to a 10.5 beginning unless your only 10.6 died. For this reason most folks make a backup or keep a maintenance install available just incase something happens to the main install (for example, run an upgrade from Apple and the upgrade 'breaks' your main install).

this is going gr8!

im really close but stuck on a very minor problem

i followed you on installing SL 10.6

but before booting into it, this time i used the natit enabler on the iatkos v7 dvd to install just that by itself

once done, i booted ito SL with the flags you suggested, and i went in and saw that my gtx 275 was reading perfectly and all the resolutions were there

only thing i am missing now is the driver for installing the ethernet

once that it fixed im good to go

but i tried EFI studio and everything else

i cannot seem to get the driver for my ethernet working. it always worked for 10.5 on this very same hardware. is there one for 10.6?

coming back to my graphics card.... even though it shows my resolutions correctly, does this mean it is using the full potential of my card as it should be, or should i have used EFI studio for this instead?

i initially tried using EFI Studio but was very confused with it. i saw a video tutorial on youtube but it does not explain in detail where to go and why.

EFI studio has my graphics card and possibly every other listed there. when i was having trouble with my card i tried using EFI studio and after adding the device i selected "write to plist"

it responded nicely but i saw no difference. i even tried a reboot to see if it would change but nothing worked

even the ethernet was not working

was there something else i might have missed?

hope my other questions above can be answered too please

many thanks again. much appreciate the help ;) cheers!

Let's start with EFI Studio. Good tool. What it does for video is generate an EFI string for the selected video card - OS86Tools does the same thing. Using either of those two tools, if you select the 'copy to plist' option they copy the string to com.Apple.boot.plist in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder. When using the /Extra or EFIboot technique that does you no good because the boot.plist the computer will be using is either in the Extra folder or in the EFI partition.

However, you can use those tools to generate the EFI string and copy to the plist in Library. Open the boot.plist from that folder and copy the string (include the device-properties key) and paste that into the boot.plist in DD's plist folder. Now when you execute the Loadbootloader command from DDs script the boot.plist from his plist folder will be placed in either Extra or EFI partition (depending on the method you are using).

In 10.6 the best way to tell if the video functions are working is to open System Preferences - Desktop and see if Translucent Menus is checked under Desktop.

For Ethernet you can experiment with the kexts in DDs Networking folder to see which one works for your board. Move the kext you want to try to the top level of the networking folder, start DD's script and run 'install kexts'. Make sure the kext you wish to try is going to be placed in /system not /Extra. Type N and then Return. Exit from the script once the cache is rebuilt and reboot.

I have both an X58-UD3R and P55-UD3R boards. For 32 bit mode the IONetworkingFamily.kext from the 10.5 group of kexts (copy and paste into Networking folder in 10.6 kexts folder) works. For 64 bit mode I need the IOnetworkingFamily.kext and AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext from the 10.6 group of kexts for ethernet to work.

hi thanks for the reply

i dont want to seem like im wasting your time. i am trying hard to understand all this. and believe me i have done a lot of reading so far trying to get to grips with all the phrases and kext stuff :unsure:

but i am stuck on the places you are telling me to go

i mean i can see DD's netowkring folder with a kext in there, but not sure how to use that kext or what to do with it exactly - how ot open it etc...

and about EFI studio, im not sure if i should be using the install command for EFI studio, what drive to use it for, when to use it (before or after adding devices and writing to plist) etc...

completely unsure what to do first or where to go

sorry to sound dumb. im really trying best i can :(

hope u can guide me step by step if thats okay please

I use DDs install 'script' to do all the 'heavy lifting' for my Macs. When you download and open the zip file that is his script there is an Install folder. Inside that folder there are a number of other folders, one being kexts_10.6. Inside that folder he has arranged a number of folders by function - ATA, Audio, Networking, etc. If you open one of those folders you will see a repository folder and possibly some kexts. Inside the repository folder will be a number of kexts. Kexts at the top level (ie visible when you open the folder) of the Newtworking, ATA, etc folders will be loaded when the 'load kexts' item is run while running DDs script, kexts inside the repository folder will not be loaded. Therefore, if you wish to try a particular kext, say networking, place that kext just inside the Networking folder inside the 10.6 kexts folder. Now, when you run the script and choose to load kexts, your 'test' kext will be loaded. As you look at the screen resulting from the 'load kexts' command you will see the various kexts that will be loaded when you complete the command. Each kext will have a number and to the right of the kext name there will be the location that the kext will be installed to - either /system or /Extra. Most kexts can be installed in /Extra but there are a few that must be installed in /system to function properly. Included in those few are ethernet and audio kexts. So, if you are wanting to install an ethernet kext, you look at the list and see that the script wants to install it in /Extra - you don't want it there, so type the number beside the kext and then hit enter - you will notice that the kext will change install location to /system. Once you have the kexts going to the desired install locations complete the command by typing n and then Enter.

Bottom line, is, whatever kexts you wish to use must be at the top level of their respective folders to be installed. I place the kexts I want to try in the repository folder, copy them, close the repository folder, then paste into the Network (or whichever) folder. Run DDs installer, load kexts, make sure they are being installed in the right place and complete the install. Reboot and see how well I did!

You can do the same thing with the plist. Run OS86Tools and generate a EFI string for an nVidia graphics card. copy the string from the bottom pane of the tool and then paste that string into the boot.plist file in DDs plist folder (be sure to use the proper syntax, ie device-properties, string></string, etc). Now run the script and InstallBootloader (plists are installed with the bootloader). Exit the script and reboot.

everdone just wanna tahnk you u have been very informative and helpful right the way through

you'll be happy to know i have finally sorted out my system and i am inside snow leopard, but without doing any of the boot flags etc...

this is what i did... please tell me if it was correct

because i went through problems during my first try, i obviously started from scracth. and this is the order of how i did it all:

1 - installed Leopard 10.5 to 80gb drive

2 - within 10.5 i used dd's mobo patch installer to install Snow Leopard 10.6 under the /Eztra method

3 - once i rebooted, i did not allow chameleon to start. instead, i booted into the DVD of iatkos v7 which i used for my 10.5 install

4 - i then used the iatkos dvd to install only the natit enabler so i can view the system

5 - once inside SL, i used dd's installer for a clean install of SL again which i installed over my 10.5 install

6 - after 10.6 new install, i rebooted and again went straight to the iatkos DVD only to install 2 things - 1) Natit enabler for GTX 275 and 2) Ethernet driver

7 - by doing this before the initial setup of SL 10.6, I was able to make use of both the GPU and Ethernet.

i noticed that by going through the setup of 10.6 before installing the R1000 driver for Ethernet, would prevent me from being able to afterwards.

so that's all I did basically

i did not use any -s boot flag, neither force the system to boot into 32-bit mode

i simply pressed enter to boot into SL as normal and it is all working fine

i only need to install my sound driver, but that's BUS powered so the install is no problem

my only question now is should i use NTFS-3G for my NTFS drives, or should i use paragon or any other you can recommend please?

and lastly, did i do good, or should i have done something else in terms of bootflags etc...

thanks again everdone

It could have been done differently, but the important thing is that you got there. I am not familiar with the iATKOS installer but obviously one can use that to install kexts/drivers to a Mac install. I don't know what kexts were used from that DVD but they could have been added to DDs script kext folders and you could have gotten to the same point you are now. No matter how, it works!

Congratulations! It's time to move on to the tweaking process.