Buffali wli-uc-gn, no device!

landgrendesign

13 posts in this topic

Hi!

So I bought the small usb dongle from Buffalo the; WLI-UC-GN which worked great with RT2870 drivers from Ralink on my 10.5.8 system... well it worked great until after a week of daily use of the dongle when the Ralink utility I use to connect to ethernet suddenly stopped recognize it.

The dongle is not broke. It is being recognized by the system profiler with the correct id and I have tried it in windows.

I have also tried to test with earlier versions of the Ralink Utility and the rt2870.kext but it still doesn't work. I even did a fresh install of 10.5.5 and tried the dongle from 10.5.5 to 10.5.8 but it still won't being recognized by the wireless utility.

The blue light that tells that the dongle is on works. The system profiler recognizes it.

Any solutions?

Thanks!

Hi!

So I bought the small usb dongle from Buffalo the; WLI-UC-GN which worked great with RT2870 drivers from Ralink on my 10.5.8 system... well it worked great until after a week of daily use of the dongle when the Ralink utility I use to connect to ethernet suddenly stopped recognize it.

The dongle is not broke. It is being recognized by the system profiler with the correct id and I have tried it in windows.

I have also tried to test with earlier versions of the Ralink Utility and the rt2870.kext but it still doesn't work. I even did a fresh install of 10.5.5 and tried the dongle from 10.5.5 to 10.5.8 but it still won't being recognized by the wireless utility.

The blue light that tells that the dongle is on works. The system profiler recognizes it.

Any solutions?

Thanks!

I also had one of these before until I lost it (too small!). Costs only $20 here in Japan, so I picked up another today..

try this site, I'm about to reinstall and will try this way, I just used Relinks drivers last time and it seemed fine, but basically this page says to install the driver as usual, then modify the kext as shown in the pic:

Japanese website explaining OS X install of WLI-UC-GN

• 1 month later...

Any solutions?

It has been working fine for me (running 10.5.7 on an Asus 1005-HA) after installing the RT2870 version 2.0.0.0 drivers and rebooting. I use the RAlink Wireless utility to create a WiFi profile for connecting to (WPA2-PSK) and connects automatically after sleep/awake and power cycles.

Here's where I got the driver: http://bit.ly/3XEW1a

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to see if anyone made any headway on this front. I'm running 10.5.8 as well and I just went through the installation for the Ralink driver and the modifications illustrated on the Japanese site, but I'm not seeing the USB card in the Ralink Wireless Utility. I'm not sure if I'm missing a step or if there is in fact an issue w/ the latest OS X updates.

Anyone find out anything further?

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got the Buffalo Wifi USB WLI-UC-GN working with OSX 10.5.8, Darwin kernel 9.8.0. The problem boils down to the wrong product id in the info.plist file for the device's driver.

I had the same symptoms. The Dongle worked in OSX 10.5.2 but stopped working after installing OSX 10.5.8 using iDeneb v1.6 Lite.

The dongle apears in System Profile, but "No Devices" always showed up when I tried to run USBWirelessUtility.

Here's what worked for me.

1. Download the Macintosh drivers for RT2870 version 2.0.1.0 from RAlink.

2. Use System Profiler to find out the Product ID and Device ID for the WLI-UC-GN, This should be the same for everybody.

Click Apple =>About this Mac => More Info => USB 802.11n

The Product ID 0x014f or 335 in decimal

The Device ID 0x0411 or 1041 in decimal

3, Open up info.plist for the driver using nano and scroll down until you reach the information related to Buffalo.

There are 3 entries 2870-1, 2870-2 and 2870-3.

The Product ID in the third entry is messed up and needs to be changed from 336 to 335 to match the settings from system profiler above.

Write the file out.

Exit

4. Reboot

5. Remember to boot with the -f parameter.

6. Go into System Preferences => Network and create a new interface.

Let me know if this helps.

Version 2 - JohnDVan

Here's what I did to get the Buffalo WLI-UC-GN Wireless N USB dongle working with OSX 10.5.8, Darwin kernel 9.8.0.

<a href="http://timelog.jp/msg/?d740917d1368cd81f2efa0f30990d6551e774c810fb25a">I got the idea for the fix from ayenon</a> . The site is in Japanese, but you can get the main idea by looking at the screen print.

I chose the Buffalo Wireless N USB dongle WLI-UC-GN because it uses the Ralink chipset which is well supported on Macs. And it was on sale for about $40 at NCIX in Vancouver. I installed the driver, rebooted and plugged the dongle in. The dongle showed up in System Profiler, but the blue activity light on the USB dongle stayed on constantly. On a properly installed dongle the activity light should be flashing. I also got a "No Device" status when I opened the Ralink Utility. The problem boiled down to an incorrect product id in the info.plist file for the device's driver.

The Buffalo USB dongle uses the Ralink 2870 chipset. (Google "Buffalo WLI-UC-GN chipset"

1. Download the Macintosh drivers version 2.0.1.0 from <a href="http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3">RAlink Macintosh Drivers</a>. The drivers for for Buffalo WLI-UC-GN are labelled USB(RT2870 /RT2770 /RT307X /RT2070 /RT3572).

2. Plug in the Wifi dongle and verify it is showing up in System Profiler.

Click Apple =>About this Mac => More Info => USB => 802.11n WLAN

Verify that the device is being recognized and has enough current:

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 450

3. Write down the Product ID and Device ID for the WLI-UC-GN, This should be the same for everybody.

4, Open up /System/Library/Extensions/RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist using nano and scroll down until you reach the information related to Buffalo.

The Product ID in the third entry needs to be changed from 336 to 335 to match the settings from system profiler above.

Write the file out.

Exit

4. Delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

cd /System/Library

sudo rm -R Extensions.mkext

5. Reboot (You should see a message about Boot Caches being flushed)

6. Remember to boot with the -f parameter.

Important! While the system is loading the blue light on the WLI-UC-GN should start flashing. If the light on the dongle stays blue constantly it is not installed correctly.

If the blue light on the dongle is flashing you can go on to the next step.

7. Go into System Preferences and add another device for the USB Wifi dongle.

Apple => System Preferences => Network

Click on the + sign in the lower left. An additional drop down menu entry will appear in the list for "Ethernet". Highlight it and click create. Click Apply.

8. Go into the Applications => RAlink utility => Site Survey and you should see the Wireless access points.

9. Add a profile for your wireless access point.

10. Open terminal and delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext again. Reboot again. When the system starts the USB dongle light should be flashing. Open the Ralink Utility and verify that you're connected. Check the link status. Open Firefox. Enter the URL google.com and verify that you are connected.

Done!

johndvan Version 3 (added screen-shots)

Here's what I did to get the Buffalo WLI-UC-GN Wireless N USB dongle working with OSX 10.5.8, Darwin kernel 9.8.0.

I got the idea for the fix from ayenon . The site is in Japanese, but you can get the main idea by looking at the screen print.

I chose the Buffalo Wireless N USB dongle WLI-UC-GN because it uses the Ralink chipset which is well supported on Macs. And it was on sale for about $40 at NCIX in Vancouver.

I installed the driver, rebooted and plugged the dongle in. The dongle showed up in System Profiler, but the blue activity light on the USB dongle stayed on constantly. On a properly installed dongle the activity light should be flashing. I also got a "No Device" status when I opened the Ralink Utility. The problem boiled down to an incorrect product id in the info.plist file for the device's driver.

The Buffalo USB dongle uses the Ralink 2870 chipset. (Google "Buffalo WLI-UC-GN chipset"

1. Download the Macintosh drivers version 2.0.1.0 from RAlink Macintosh Drivers. The drivers for for Buffalo WLI-UC-GN are labelled USB(RT2870 /RT2770 /RT307X /RT2070 /RT3572).

2. Plug in the Wifi dongle and verify it is showing up in System Profiler.

Verify that the device is being recognized and has enough current:

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 450

SystemProfilerBuffaloWirelessUSBDongle

SystemProfilerBuffaloWirelessUSBDongle.png

3. Write down the Product ID and Device ID for the WLI-UC-GN, This should be the same for everybody.

4, Open up /System/Library/Extensions/RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist using nano and scroll down until you reach the information related to Buffalo.

The Product ID in the third entry needs to be changed from 336 to 335 to match the settings from system profiler above.

Bufaloinfo.plist

Bufaloinfo.plist_.png

Write the file out.

Exit

4. Delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

cd /System/Library

sudo rm -R Extensions.mkext

5. Reboot (You should see a message {"Updating Boot Caches")

6. Remember to boot with the -f parameter.

Important! While the system is loading the blue activity light on the WLI-UC-GN should start flashing. If the light on the dongle stays blue constantly it is not installed correctly.

If the blue light on the dongle is flashing you can go on to the next step.

7. Go into System Preferences and add another device for the USB Wifi dongle.

Apple => System Preferences => Network

Click on the + sign in the lower left. An additional drop down menu entry will appear in the list for "Ethernet". Highlight it and click create. Click Apply.

8. Go into the Applications => RAlink utility => Site Survey and you should see the Wireless access points.

9. Add a profile for your wireless access point.

10. Open terminal and delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext again. Reboot again. When the system starts the USB dongle light should be flashing. Open the Ralink Utility and verify that you're connected. Check the link status. Open Firefox. Enter the URL google.com and verify that you are connected.

Done!

• 2 months later...

I'd like to report that this adapter works like a champ on my ACER Aspire One AOA150. I am using the version 2.x drivers from Ralink's site. There are no replug issues and I now have working wireless using OS 10.6.1.

Win 7 picks up the device without drivers, but I can also use my AOA's built in card. I bought this to use with my two Hackintoshes and it's just fine.

S

• 3 months later...

my USB is Buffalo WLI-UC-GN-AP

The Product ID 0x015d or 349 in decimal

I have followed all the instructions in this page, and successfully connected my hackintosh sony tz37 to internet.

However, I have to unplug and replug it every time I reboot the system. Otherwise, it would only show "Disconnected!" in the ralink wireless utility. Anybody knows why?

Please help. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I had this working this morning on 10.6.3, however after updating to 10.6.4 (and reinstalling the driver + changing device ID, repairing permissions/deleting Extensions.mkext, + Booting with -f) I cannot get it to work again :rolleyes: anyone have this working on 10.6.4? The issue seems to be with it recognizing the thing actually exists, nothing appears in About This Mac for my WLI-UC-GN.