Making the switch

7 posts in this topic

I'm a long time PC and Windows user. With the release of BootCamp, I think I'm about ready to make a small jump into the mac world. I'm looking at purchasing the 15" MacBook Pro (with an upgrade from 512MB to 1GB of RAM as 512 just doesn't cut it for me anymore). I'm looking to replace my current beast of a PC desktop with this laptop, hopefully making things easier for me. Before I make this kind of leap, I have a few questions (possible answered before, not sure) that I hope someone will answer and help me out before putting the money down.

1) I believe I would still have Windows XP installed using BootCamp as I don't believe there's Half-Life 2 support for Macs and I have a large collection of games that I'd rather not have to repurchase or go without already. I was curious if the integrated x1600 is really great with games, like Half-Life 2, having the settings all set on high.

2) Is it possible to remap many of the keyboard shortcuts to something similar to what Windows has. I know I could get used to all the new shortcuts and such but I believe that it would just make things easier if I could remap most of the shortcuts to something similar to what I currently use in Windows as I will still be using PCs at my job and occasionally at my home.

I had some other involving the ability to double click, etc etc but they really aren't that important when I think about it. heh. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MAcs are great, but I'd suggest waiting till the next release... the next OS is supposed to have XP integrated somehow, it'd spare you 100 bucks for the upgrade. And I suspect, because of the XP integration, Apple will implement a two button mouse (I hope)

1600x meets my expectations for a laptop... but turning down the resolution a little bit makes thing go pretty smoothly. (It's not a gaming machine mind you)

You could remap the keys, but I wouldn't recommend it... it's really not that different... I've gone from Mac to PC with no real difficulties, I'd doubt you would either vice versa. Apple has just about every possible thing mapped; changing one would require you to change another and another and so forth...

You can plug in a Bazillion button mouse, works fine...

Like I said, just wait till the next release, minor changes can go a long way...

i have the higher configuration of the macbook pro with the 256 mb of vram and i can run half life 2 and counter strike source at the highest settings, anti aliasing x2, native resolution, while getting 60 fps constantly. that configuration comes with 1gb of ram standard.

Is there any word when the next version of the OS is slated to drop? I am looking to purchase fairly soon but am definitely willing to wait for the next version of OS X if it looks to be released pretty soon. :construction: And what type of Windows integration is rumored to be going into the next version?

Leopard is slated for late this year or early next year. Currently, nothing has been confirmed in terms of features that will be included in Leopard, but do expect at least a more polished version of bootcamp and maybe some sort of integration of bootcamp into OS X. Virtualization is also a possibility, but we don't really know that at this point. expect a full demo of Leopard at the Stevenote in August during WWDC. If you are willing to wait, do wait for Core 2 Duo AKA Merom, which is supposed to come out this August.

Well, I'm going to go contrary and say if you are considering, go ahead - you'll never know what tomorrow brings. I bought my fist mac mini over a year ago, and even though I manage corporate networks filled with Windows PCs, Linux Workstations, and AMD/Intel servers, I've become quite loyal to Apple. I've had OSX on a variety of hackintoshes, and my just ordered 17" MBP should arrive in a couple of days. Parrallels offers what you'll need for the day to day, and at less than $50 is a steal. Bootcamp gives you the ability to play games, etc., with Apple delivered drivers. These macs are the most powerful, best designed notebooks money can buy, period. The only people with something bad to say will be those who wish they could afford them. That doesn't read rip off - it reads Apple doesn't do bargain basement.

Yes, 10.5 is RUMORED to include something better. But you will be able to upgrade, guaranteed. At $100 in 6 months, I guarantee you I'll have gotten 10x that in productivity between now and then. Unlike the M$ methods - Apple won't let you down. They will, however, continue to put out innovative designs on a routine basis. You can count on something "better" every few months. If you are ready to buy and just want to get the most for your $$, the time is now in the cycle, the initial run of MBP hardware has passed and you are still early enough in the cycle Apple won't be releasing some major upgrade the day after you purchase.

You are correct on the ram, 512 is too little RAM wise, but I'd still go lean when you purchase. 1GB gives you some room to work, 2GB (don't buy any of it from apple mind you) and your set for some time to come. RAM is user serviceable, and you can get it at < $100 GB if you are careful from a variety of discount online shops. A lot less than you'll pay to have it installed at the factory. IMO, do get the extended warranty. A notebook is a notebook, and you'll want 3 years, especially since this machine will last you a very long time. Nice thing about AppleCare is you have the option to add it anytime during your original warranty period.