Dell Precision M6300 - 10.5.6 Install Guide - Dual Boot Windows 7

tigrdragn

15 posts in this topic

So I spent a bit of time online, looking through other M6300 guides and no one really layed it out in one full guide how to get everything working, so I decided to put a guide together for the rest of the M6300 folks.

M6300 Dual Boot, Windows 7 and OSX86 10.5.6 Install Guide

Install Disk:

• iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3

Dell Precision M6300 Hardware Specs:

• Processor - T9300, 2.5GHz
  • Memory - 4GB 667mhz
  • Video - NVidia Quadro FX3600M 512MB
  • Hard Drive - 200GB SATA
  • Wireless Network - Intel Pro Set Wireless 4965
  • LAN Network - Broadcom 5715 Gigabit
  • Audio - Sigmatel 9205HD

Installation Steps:

First go into the BIOS and change the hard drive to ATA

I partitioned the drive into two equal partitions, during the Windows 7 installation, then I installed Windows 7 on one of the partitions, using the basic settings. Once Windows 7 came up, I went into disk manager, formatted the remainind disk space NTFS, and marked it as active. Then I rebooted to the OSX86 installation media.

I rebooted to the iPC DVD with no boot switches, and it came up into the installer screen just fine.

I opened Disk Utility and erased the partition I created in Windows, and reformatted it as Extended Journaled, I also named it OSX.

I closed disk utility and ran through the install, then chose Customize, after selecting my hard drive.

I used the following settings in the Customize Install screen

Choose the following Options:

iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Base System

iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3

Drivers>Video Drivers>Nvidia>NVInject 0.2.1 512MB VRAM

Drivers>USB Drivers>Patched USB Drivers

Drivers>Power Management>AppleACPIPBatteryManager

Drivers>Power Management>AppleACPIPowerSource

Drivers>Power Management>Power Management Package

Drivers>Power Management>Clamshell Display Support

Fixes and Patches>FireWire Mount Fix

Fixes and Patches>SATA Drive Icon Fix (New)

Fixes and Patches>Dual Boot Time Sync

Fixes and Patches>IOPCMCIAFamily

Fixes and Patches>Shudown/Restart Fix

Applications

installed every option, except Marvin's AMD Utility

Everything finished and I rebooted, I had to power off the PC myself once it went to a black screen, as it did not reboot itself.

After a reboot, I had to plug in an external keyboard and mouse, but as soon as I installed the kexts I've included, (attached as M6300kexts.zip) they were working.

Installed all of the following with Kext Helpber b7, found in the Applications folder

Keyboard and Touchpad:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

LAN:

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

Sound: (deleted the current AppleHDA.kext first)

AppleHDA.kext

ALCinject.kext

Battery Fix:

Voodoobattery.kext

I now have 10.5.6 installed with the following working:

Keyboard and Trackpad

Ethernet

Power, including Sleep, Close Display Sleep, (shutdown, and restart still not working, I'm guessing it's an NVidia issue)

Sound, including autoswitch to headphones, volume and mute work on front of laptop (cd controls on the front panel do not work)

USB support (tried external mouse, external hard drive and flash drive)

Broadband WIFI with my ATT Sierra Wireless Card

Video at 1920x1200

Dual Boot

After everything was installed in OSX86 as I liked, I went back to boot into Windows 7, to my suprise, it booted just fine, without any additional changes.

If anyone has any suggestions for the shutdown and restart, please post them up. Also, today I'll be swapping the Intel 4965 for a Dell 1301 Wifi card, which should get the airport working.

M6300kexts.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, maybe you can help me.

I use Rebel EFI and want to install OSX Snow Leopard

i prepared everything on my dell precision m6300 but after putting osx i see that i I need to restart my computer (in a couple different languages).

i try with ATA and that other sata mode, no success

Any ideas ?

tnx

This is my exact same setup, thanks for posting this step-by-step! However, after searching Google and in my torrent client, I can't seem to locate a good copy of the iPD distro you used. Can you help by pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

CAN U PLS TELL ME THE STEPS U DID...

I GOT WINDOWS 7,I NEED TO INSTALL THE MAC OSX ON MY M6300...CAN U GIVE ME ALL THAT U DID YOU STARTED... FROM THE BIOS,...TO THE REAL INSTALLATION,CAUSE WHEN I PUT THE DVD (IPC 10.5.6 INTEL / AMD) IT CRASHED WITH WITHE SCREENSHORT,AND BLACK WRING...SO THANKS...

• 1 month later...

Hi guys sorry for reopening the discussion.

I have the same laptop, the only difference is on the gpu.

I have a nvidia quadro 1600 fx.

I'm just now downloading the distro do you think it will be fine for me?

Just in case did you install any kext from the distro?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

were there any problems with 1600 fx?

thanks

@ coxis - try without rebel EFI, and use the iPC 10.5.6 install disc, then follow the guide above assuming you have the same setup (since you posted in this Dell Precision M6300 thread)

@ Grapheeze - Quadro FX 1600M can get QE/CI using NVInject. Its in the iPC installer but just make sure you choose one with correct ram size

@ Eric Brand - here is torrent file of iPC 10.5.6 final http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/5121131/i...131.TPB.torrent

• 2 months later...

I have the quadro 1600 fx, it took me all night but I got it to work with NVinject 0.2.1

you have you edit info.plist and change IOProbeScore from 6000 to 0 and then it should all come up

• 2 weeks later...

Any attempt with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + SL Retail?

I will try soon. I also bought a replacement for WiFi card (13 £ on eB)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Has anyone been able to get the quadro 1600m graphics card to work fully using qe and ci?

I second this. I've been trying to use your guide, but get panic when I try to boot the installation disc. I've attached the screen. Any help?

thanks

post-659801-1284817599_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

I'm very appreciated this thread. I save me a lot of time and money. I almost give up and plan to buy a new computer but this thread is helping to utilized the laptop that I have.

I'm very happy with it right now. Only problem I have is to get the second monitor to work. By running window XP on this machine I able to get dual monitors to work but somehow unable to configure in Mac to get dual monitor to work. The video I have is Quadro 1600m. I don't know has anyone tried this or not.

I also have problem like shutting down and Intel wireless to work. Has anyone has any update on this.

thanks

Alan

I followed the instruction and it worked very good. Problem I have is don't know how to get it give an option to boot either Win 7 or Mac. If I have installation DVD in the a drive I can get it boot to Mac. If I boot without DVD it went straight to Win7. How can I change to it give an option to select the OS.

thanks