==UPDATE ==

DRIVER REUPLOADED

HERE IT IS

tell me if It's gone again

sorry for the delay

http://www.multiupload.com/Q6W7OR1QV7

Multi upload Link

==================

Sorry Guys .. I've been busy with my son's school work ...

I've upload the PREP file .. please see the link below

i will try to finish this GUIDE ASAP ...

Good day People ....

This will be the Guild / Discussion topic for Dell Optiplex 755

Since we all know that this machine is a Vanilla Baby on 10.5.x . 100% ... it should be on 10.6 too

Well ... I got it up to 95% now

with Everything onboard (except I added ATI 4850)

there's only Sleep . Restart and shutdown still not working at the momment

If any one of you Dell 755 freaks (or any other Geek) out there know how to fix this ... I thank you for helping me .

OK First thing First ..

This installation method will be doing within 10.5.x

so Please have a working Lepoard system on your Dell Optiples 10.5 before you start

if you are not sure how .. here's a little tips .. using ideneb 10.5. any version , do not choose any driver at all within the installation of leopard 10.5 (ideneb)

===== PREPARATION =====

1. You'll need a working version of Leopard(10.5.x) or a version of Snow Leopard (10.6.x) we'll be install 10.6.1 from it .

2. I will be installing ONE OS into ONE HardDrive only , you can search and follow other's GUIDE for a duel, Triple os setup, this GUIDE only helps you to get 10.6 going into Dell Optiplex 755)

3. Download All the files needed .

4. A version of 10.6 (Either Retail DVD, Retail DVD image which one don't matter, but I prefer image for a faster installation speed)

5. to make everything simple . Please Plug your Snow Leopard HDD into SATA0

===== Part 1 Hard Drive Preparation =====

(note , Leo = Leopard(10.5.x) , SL = Snow Leopard(10.6.x)

1. in your Leo or SL , goto Utilities -> Disk Utility

2. Choose your HardDrive that you'll be installaing SL into ( make sure you don't choose the wrong one please)

3. Choose Partition and at Colume Scheme choose 1 Partition . then name your Drive what ever you want ... (I myself prefer use a single word for Drive name rather then words with spaces , eg use kaidogg rather then kaidogg mac)

4. At option . Make sure you choose GUID Partition Table .

5.Choose apply and wait till It's done .

Screenshot2009-10-31at115212AM.pngScreenshot2009-10-31at115216AM.pngScreenshot2009-10-31at115242AM-1.png

===== Part 2 Snow Leopard Installation =====

1. Mount up or insert the DVD/Image . when you see the Mac OS X Install DVD screen , hit Shift + CMD + G on keyboard (windows keyboard = win key + Shift + g) , at the Go to the folder pop up type /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/ , Find a file named OSInstall.mpkg and open it, this will bring you into SL installation process.

2. when you reach the Select a Destination screen . Please make sure you choose the Correct drive . and hit contiune

3. now . the Critical part . before clicking the INSTALL button . goto customize , and UNcheck Printer Support , if printer support is checked . you'll fail to install .

4. next, Click install and wait , about 20 mins for a Standard Dell OptiPlex 755 wirh C2D 6700 CPU.

5. When the installation finishes . DO NOT CLICK RESTART, REBOOT .. you're not ready to Boot into SL yet ..

6. now ... We'll Install a boot loader for SL so that it can be booted from a PC (in this case our Dell 755).Open up my PREP file, you'll find a folder name BOOT LOADER . Run Terminal ,

and type sudo -s

it will then ask for your admin password .

7. type " cp " in terminal and Drag the PCI ELF 10.4 boot folder into the terminal and hit Enter

8. Type the follow command into Terminal without the quote "

9 " fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 "

10. " dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 "

11. " cp boot . "

12 now Copy the Whole EXTRA folder into / of SL Harddrive .

13. Before you restart .. please make sure you can access these file when you boot into SL

14. ONE important Driver that you'll have to Look it up for yourself ,This part is the only part that doesn't come with this Guide. , which is the Display Driver . since everyone uses a different Graphic Card . I use HIS ATI 4850 512 MB Graphic Card . I uses EVOenabler.kext and add ID into ATI4800.Kext from S/L/E .

13. Please use " -x -v -x32 arch=i386 " to boot up for the first time ( this will let you go into safe mode and we can isntall 10.6.1 update and drivers "

===== Part 3 =====

I assume that you've successfully Boot into SL safe mode

Check if your Graphic card works correctly .

1. Now . use KEXT UTILITY to install both VoodooHDA.kext and Intel82566MM.kext , you'll have to do it One by One .

Drag the kext onto Kext Utiliy to run it ...

2. after both file are done installing . you can restart . this time just use -v -x for boot option to check if everything works in 64bit mode

PREP FILE DOWNLOAD (About 4129 KB)

BADONGO

RapidShare

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for the guide, I was able to get my 755 with Quad Core and Nvidia 8400GS working (dual monitors) with this guide, updated to 10.62, full 64bit vanilla with exception of network card kext,a few notes.

The downloadable file from rapidshare isn't available anymore, and the other one doesn't have all the files for the booloader part, at least not that I could make work, I used the Empire bootloader installer package at that point and had no problems booting after that.

I had to remove evoenabler.kext from the extra's folder and use the EFI string for my graphics card instead, using OS86 tools, one thing to mention os86 tools modifiers your plist in its original directory, and if you are using one in the extra directory (like we are in this guide) you will need to copy the efi portion into it, if you are copying the whole thing, remember to put the kernel flags in the os86 one.

Thanks for your help, and if anyone else needs help on this model just yell.

Kyle

Thank you for your guide. I now have my Optiplex 755 running 10.6. Two quick questions for you that you may or may not know the answers to.

1 - Can I update to 10.6.2?

2 - You kext for Ethernet only half works in 64bit mode for me. I can get an ip and ping websites via their ip but name resolution does not work. Works fine in 32bit mode though.

Thoughts?

slim

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for the guide, I was able to get my 755 with Quad Core and Nvidia 8400GS working (dual monitors) with this guide, updated to 10.62, full 64bit vanilla with exception of network card kext,a few notes.

The downloadable file from rapidshare isn't available anymore, and the other one doesn't have all the files for the booloader part, at least not that I could make work, I used the Empire bootloader installer package at that point and had no problems booting after that.

I had to remove evoenabler.kext from the extra's folder and use the EFI string for my graphics card instead, using OS86 tools, one thing to mention os86 tools modifiers your plist in its original directory, and if you are using one in the extra directory (like we are in this guide) you will need to copy the efi portion into it, if you are copying the whole thing, remember to put the kernel flags in the os86 one.

Thanks for your help, and if anyone else needs help on this model just yell.

Kyle

Thanky Kyle

I've been testing Windows 7 :P too busy at work

anyway

I'm not quite following the method you mention

cause I'm still very new to OSX86 :( and my poor english :(

I notice that some users are not able to use the network driver I provide

strange that other provided one I don't work for me , perhapes It's different version of network card we have ?

1) by the way you mentioned you upgrade 10.6.2 from apple updates

2) do you need to reinstall PCI ELF after updates or simply just click update and it works ?

I'm so glad that there are few Optiplex 755 user in here

;)

Yes .. This I notice too

Once the display card is different . the display card installation method are differnet and it seems to distract other drivers too such as sound and/or network card

What I did was I search in google using the word osx86 dell 755 10.6 driver

and some forum and website came up . I tried all and find the one that works for me

and and and and and

ONLY PCI ELF 10.4 works for me .. 10.3 I get no network 10.5 I get network . with IP but network not usable

strange

by the way

This method took me like a Month to test it out to work for me :(

and now I'm scare to update to 10.6.2 since I don't want my network gone again :unsure:

Thanky Kyle

I've been testing Windows 7 :P too busy at work

anyway

I'm not quite following the method you mention

cause I'm still very new to OSX86 :( and my poor english :(

I notice that some users are not able to use the network driver I provide

strange that other provided one I don't work for me , perhapes It's different version of network card we have ?

1) by the way you mentioned you upgrade 10.6.2 from apple updates

2) do you need to reinstall PCI ELF after updates or simply just click update and it works ?

I'm so glad that there are few Optiplex 755 user in here

;)

Yes .. This I notice too

Once the display card is different . the display card installation method are differnet and it seems to distract other drivers too such as sound and/or network card

What I did was I search in google using the word osx86 dell 755 10.6 driver

and some forum and website came up . I tried all and find the one that works for me

and and and and and

ONLY PCI ELF 10.4 works for me .. 10.3 I get no network 10.5 I get network . with IP but network not usable

strange

by the way

This method took me like a Month to test it out to work for me :(

and now I'm scare to update to 10.6.2 since I don't want my network gone again :)

Sounds like you have the same network problem I have. I am using 10.5 PC EFI and the network only "fully" works when I force 32bit mode. I used 10.5 PC EFI because I herad that 10.4 didnt work with 10.6.2. I will replace with 10.4 EFI and let the thread know my outcome when it comes to network.

slim

kaidogg thank you for your replay i got the driver everything working except my video card i use NVidia 6200 PCI-E is this card support by Snow Leopard if its where did get the proper driver thanx :whistle:

you're welcome mate

I've just update 10.6.2 lastweek

and didn't notice that my time machine has stop working :wacko: for a week

any one get it running on 10.6.2 ?

the old IOnetworking don't seems to work on 10.6.2 and the new one is yet to be found :unsure:

P.S..

a Bluetooth dongle and new Mac mouse works perfectly

I get E-Blue mini nova bluetooth dongle

no driver neede .. plug and play in 755

• 4 weeks later...
you're welcome mate

I've just update 10.6.2 lastweek

and didn't notice that my time machine has stop working :wacko: for a week

any one get it running on 10.6.2 ?

the old IOnetworking don't seems to work on 10.6.2 and the new one is yet to be found :pirate2:

P.S..

a Bluetooth dongle and new Mac mouse works perfectly

I get E-Blue mini nova bluetooth dongle

no driver neede .. plug and play in 755

Can I ask how you got sleep to work on yours?

When mine goes to sleep and I try to pull it out, the lights on the front of the CPU case blink and nothing ever comes up on the screen.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys!

I have an optiplex 755 and I got the sound and network and my video card to work using iATKOS S3.

What I did was install it with nothing checked but the default.

Then once into the OS I updated it with tomyx86's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

In [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] I picked the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] install, System Utiliies, NVEnabler, and Intel 82566 family network.

I have a nvidia Galaxy 210 with 512mb ram video card from Best Buy for 59.00.

The reason I did the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is to get the video card working. Otherwise on a clean install everything works except for the network that you can do a kext install manually.

So far the system is pretty stable. I do have one issue.

Finder will sometimes have the beach ball of death when I'm transfering files from network or I let the computer sleep for a day.

I have turned off the 'put hard disk to sleep function'

Anyone have any Ideas?

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

I Installed Snow Leopard in My Optiplex 755 with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHZ

8 GB DDR2 RAM

2 TB Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce 210

Belkin F5D700 version 1323

I used the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method (Boot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] then install from Retail DVD 10.6) All works Out of Box also the Airport.

The only problem that I have is that I need to use the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd every time to boot because didn't install a bootloader yet.

So im looking help to install bootloader, Tried Chameleon but get boot0:error but still booting with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], Is a way to install the same bootloader From my [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd?

If i can get my computer boots for itself i think that i found a easy way to Install, Because all is working in the native DVD also my Video Card.

Wait for help, and sorry for my English.

****EDIT**** SOLVED. Install Chameleon from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and working great!!! Easy way!!!

Running 10.6.7 Without any problems 2 Screens!! HDMI no tested yet, Airport working too!!