How to get full use from hard drive

3 posts in this topic

i wanted to know if anybody has succeed at geting full use from their hard drive when they installed natively from the vmware image. i have 73gb free space and os x wont let me partition it.if anybody has any ides on how to get the rest of the space partitioned please help :)

i wanted to know if anybody has succeed at geting full use from their hard drive when they installed natively from the vmware image. i have 73gb free space and os x wont let me partition it.if anybody has any ides on how to get the rest of the space partitioned please help :)

Just posted this on 360hacker.net, hope it helps:

For anyone who is unhappy with only 6gb in MacOSX, I was able to do the following so that the rest of the freespace on the HD can be mounted in OSX. (Note: I'm sure there are better ways to do this)

1. Boot with the Ubuntu LiveCD (or whatever distro you prefer). Once in go to terminal and run cfdisk.

2. Create a New primary partition. For the sizes I just used the default because it automatically selects all the remaining space.

3. Select the new partition and go to Type. Change the Type to the Darwin UFS (I believe it was A8).

4. Write the partition to disk and reboot. Remove the CD.

5. In OSX go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

6. You should see something like diskos2 under tiger-x86. Select it, then go to the Erase tab, click Erase and Erase the partition. (I had to do this before it would mount the partition). After it's erased it should be a mounted as another partition which you can access in finder. (Note: erasing takes awhile and it spits out some funky numbers/feedback as it erases...don't mind that.)

Hope this helps.

• 10 months later...

Hardware

P4 2.8Ghz (LGA775)

MOBO D865Gsa (mATX)

Onboard Video

1 GB ddr duel Channel PC3200

CDRW/DVD ROM

40gb of Maxtor IDE HDD

I have successfully image the drive.

extract tiger-x86-flat.img on to USB drive use dd command with live ubuntu cd to put image on to my primary (Maxtor 40gb IDE) drive.

Every thing works LAN, sound ( I get scratching sound after while when computer in screen saver mode or If I am not using for a while), video (1024 x 768 res.)

I tunes and DVD (idvd don’t work I get the error but vlc works) works fine

Now I only have 6gb of space.

So I use ubuntu live cd and create another partition using cfdisk and AF command.

Went in to my OSX and disk utilities and format that 2 partition now I have 2 drives with all the space.

But problem that I am having is I want to install Final cut studio and I don’t have much space because it want to install on the 1 drive (6gb) it will not install me on 2 drive.

How do I merge or expend the entire drive so I can install big apps.

I have done CCC on to another drive but it will not boot from it.

Please any idea would be help full.

I use OSX native one hard drive in the system and OSX install on it. Now windows no Linux.

Edit: I had problem before. When I was copying the image from USB to Maxtor with live cd and with the mother board that I have it did copy the image fine but it will not boot.

I had blinking cursor. So I had do that with different mobo and CPU

Hardware was AMD 64 3500+ (939) and mobo Asus A8V.

This will copy image on the Maxtor but not boot I get apple gray screen and few sec. later I get command line going across the screen and flickers it was doing it so fast I could not see the it properly but what I did see it was command line.