Showing the "open" window hangs any app

11 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I've just started having this issue today and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same issue.

Everything will run fine for a while, then when I got to File>Open in any program, it will beachball before showing the open dialog box, and I will have to force quit the app. Once its happened once, it will do it from then on in every application, until you restart the machine.

I can drag and drop onto the dock to avoid the issue, but I always use the keyboard shortcuts, so this is driving me kinda mad! Pressing Apple-O causes the hang as well.

It always works fine for a time, say 5 mins to a couple of hours, then it gets starts hanging....

Anyone got any clues where to start?

Thanks

i7 920 | GA-EX85-UDP5 | NVIDIA 9800GT | 10.6.1

Hi there,

I've just started having this issue today and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same issue.

Everything will run fine for a while, then when I got to File>Open in any program, it will beachball before showing the open dialog box, and I will have to force quit the app. Once its happened once, it will do it from then on in every application, until you restart the machine.

I can drag and drop onto the dock to avoid the issue, but I always use the keyboard shortcuts, so this is driving me kinda mad! Pressing Apple-O causes the hang as well.

It always works fine for a time, say 5 mins to a couple of hours, then it gets starts hanging....

Anyone got any clues where to start?

Thanks

i7 920 | GA-EX85-UDP5 | NVIDIA 9800GT | 10.6.1

Bump, anyone? I have a feeling it has something to do with fonts... I never had this issue on my mac, so just trying to work out what might be causing this...

Thanks

Bump, anyone? I have a feeling it has something to do with fonts... I never had this issue on my mac, so just trying to work out what might be causing this...

Thanks

Offering nothing right now, but I'm having the same issue and trying to track it down.

I also installed 10.6.0 and updated to 10.6.1 and i experience almost the same problems.

The system works fine for a while but when i have a couple programs open they stop working and the beachbak comes. For example firefox when i force quit it it dissapear from the force quit list but when i try to open it again it says an other instance is running. This happens with almost every program but when i only work in safari like i do right now then it goes fine.

I also have problems with installing software like the free demo of Rop Papen's SubboomBass Vsti and native instruments komplete 5

And when i click on any folder and select get info i can't see the folder size

and also my internal sata disks are show in disk utility as external ones

Does anybody know if it's possible to fix those problems?

Otherwise i think i have to switch back to an older version:(

That means you need a better IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext for your motherboard... or a patched DSDT... or both.

Hey Justin,

I'm really not that knowledgeable with this stuff, but do you think the problem with showing the open dialog could be something do to with SATA issues? There's a couple of things that make me think this. Because its a system wide problem, I'm thinking that when the OS goes to show the open dialog, it scans all the available drives and maybe something is glitching there? Also I was having some issues with an external drive that I had plugged in thru eSATA, it would work fine for a while, but then if you clicked on it in the finder, it would beachball too.

Anyway, thats the best I could come up with, anyone care to add to this, or tell me that I'm totally barking up the wrong tree?

I think they're separate issues... I know the IOACHIStorageInjector fixes the orange drives problem...

I fixed my open window woes by downloading Cocktail, turning off Spotlight, and clearing all caches!

OK, I'm gonna try just with the clearing all caches thing first, as Spotlight is way too useful to turn off. Will see how it goes! Thanks for your help.

OK, I'm gonna try just with the clearing all caches thing first, as Spotlight is way too useful to turn off. Will see how it goes! Thanks for your help.

So, I did a couple of things, and it seems to have worked ok....

First I re-patched my sata leads making sure that the dvd went into the sata0 port, and my hdds after that. I also cleared my caches using Cocktail. I didn't turn off spotlight.

Been using it very heavily the last couple of days and no problems.