Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.6.2 to developers

richtig

19 posts in this topic

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10...s_of_fixes.html

A pre-release build of the next update to Mac OS X 10.6 was seeded to developers Monday, bringing a long list of changes, fixes and tweaks.

People familiar with the latest build, dubbed 10C514, said the latest update has general focus areas that affect just about every facet of the operating system, from the applications like the Address Book and QuickTime, to services like Spotlight and Time Machine, and basic hardware functions like USB and Bluetooth. The disk image has a 445.4MB file size.

The update reportedly features dozens of areas of change, including fixes for AppleScript, graphics drivers, Xtype, OpenCL and more.

The pre-release build also allegedly comes with a handful of known issues, including hang-ups with the DVD player, crashing of the parental controls preference pane, and a glitch where the system does not recognize an optical drive.

Monday's release is the first that Mac OS X 10.6.2 has been seen by developers. It will become the second maintenance update for Snow Leopard.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10...s_of_fixes.html

A pre-release build of the next update to Mac OS X 10.6 was seeded to developers Monday, bringing a long list of changes, fixes and tweaks.

People familiar with the latest build, dubbed 10C514, said the latest update has general focus areas that affect just about every facet of the operating system, from the applications like the Address Book and QuickTime, to services like Spotlight and Time Machine, and basic hardware functions like USB and Bluetooth. The disk image has a 445.4MB file size.

The update reportedly features dozens of areas of change, including fixes for AppleScript, graphics drivers, Xtype, OpenCL and more.

The pre-release build also allegedly comes with a handful of known issues, including hang-ups with the DVD player, crashing of the parental controls preference pane, and a glitch where the system does not recognize an optical drive.

Monday's release is the first that Mac OS X 10.6.2 has been seen by developers. It will become the second maintenance update for Snow Leopard.

With all so many tons of fixes and add-on implementations I still expect few of the following:

a] NTFS read-write support .. which can currently be turned on by editing the fstab.hd file in /etc/

that means the native built-in driver (kext) does support RW bu t apple disabled it.. maybe due to MIcrosoft's copyright infringement issues or something on the inside that we wouldn't know... otherwise

b] Support for themes... Please.. I miss the good old days with Tiger where we could use themes... and the powerful GUI of Mac OS X .. unlike the dull 2d-ish interface of Winblows - the OS that blows everything over .. Operating System

c] Some more support for external USB sound crds.. Especially fro mCreative coz I own a few and do not wish to spend thousands of bucks on buying a new one.. in the first place why should I?

d] PLEASE! add support for loading subtitle files in Quicktime X ... at least now Quicktime should provide us with such facility rather than us users relying on third party softwares like VLC and MPlayerOSX

Well... I'll add a few points later... gotta a meeting to rush to...

PS: Lastly, with such intermittent updates being seen as released quite immediately to original final RTM product launches...

Apple seems to be following Microsoft's GOLDEN THUMB RULE of -> Software Development Life Cycle policy ....

Release (unstable versions) ... then keep releasing more and more updates...

which wasn't something that we can say Apple "is' or "was" renowned for till as of yet.. wink wink :);)

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

10.6.2 is going to bring 64bit for many Intel IGP Users, cause the drivers are now 64bit too. Cheers.

YES!! Finally, even though I think they should've been included since the first release but Apple had to rush the OS out to avoid delays and criticism.

Faster OpenGL on 8800GT?

Some Geforce Users have Performance Problems with 10.6.2, half of the cake

dozens of updates and fixes usually means a difficult update procedure for osx86 but lets hope that is not the case here.

Vanilla System had no Problem with this Update.

With all so many tons of fixes and add-on implementations I still expect few of the following:

a] NTFS read-write support .. which can currently be turned on by editing the fstab.hd file in /etc/

that means the native built-in driver (kext) does support RW bu t apple disabled it.. maybe due to MIcrosoft's copyright infringement issues or something on the inside that we wouldn't know... otherwise

b] Support for themes... Please.. I miss the good old days with Tiger where we could use themes... and the powerful GUI of Mac OS X .. unlike the dull 2d-ish interface of Winblows - the OS that blows everything over .. Operating System

c] Some more support for external USB sound crds.. Especially fro mCreative coz I own a few and do not wish to spend thousands of bucks on buying a new one.. in the first place why should I?

d] PLEASE! add support for loading subtitle files in Quicktime X ... at least now Quicktime should provide us with such facility rather than us users relying on third party softwares like VLC and MPlayerOSX

PS: Lastly, with such intermittent updates being seen as released quite immediately to original final RTM product launches...

Apple seems to be following Microsoft's GOLDEN THUMB RULE of -> Software Development Life Cycle policy ....

which wasn't something that we can say Apple "is' or "was" renowned for till as of yet.. wink wink ;) ;)

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

oh well , i installed perian, and the subtitle is loaded very fine in quicktimex

OpenGL performances have improved a lot for me, both in OpenGL Extensions benchmarks and in ALL OSX games I tried (from {censored} Cider ports to CoD 4 native port), NVIDIA drivers have never been so good !

Faster OpenGL on 8800GT?

oh well , i installed perian, and the subtitle is loaded very fine in quicktimex

thx buddy for responding ....

butshortly...

can u explain how does Quicktime X load subtitles from .MKV files... or .... from .srt for .avi files... please...?

It's been a long time cyclonefr.....

just where can I get my hands on the 10.6.2 update ?

if u may ... is it publicly available now...?

OpenGL performances have improved a lot for me, both in OpenGL Extensions benchmarks and in ALL OSX games I tried (from {censored} Cider ports to CoD 4 native port), NVIDIA drivers have never been so good !

It's been a long time cyclonefr...

Just.... If you may..

Where can I get my hands on the 10.6.2 update....?

Is it publicly now available....?

Thx..

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

thx buddy for responding ....

butshortly...

can u explain how does Quicktime X load subtitles from .MKV files... or .... from .srt for .avi files... please...?

It's been a long time cyclonefr.....

just where can I get my hands on the 10.6.2 update ?

if u may ... is it publicly available now...?

It's been a long time cyclonefr...

Just.... If you may..

Where can I get my hands on the 10.6.2 update....?

Is it publicly now available....?

Thx..

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

the 10.6.2 is now available to the developer only, so just wait for a public release, that won't be long.

and for the subtitles, just rename the subtitles's name as same as the file names, i have only tried srt, but sub, sami should also work according to the support of perian.

Any signs of new hardware support in the .2 dev builds? Ie support for the new i5/i7 or AMD 58xx series parts? Apple should be playing with at least the former in its laptop form so I would expect to see a few kexts supporting them showing up relativity soon (this update or next). It also wouldn't surprise me if by .3 or .4 we would see 5k series AMD drivers since AMD appears to be interested in pretty aggressively rolling a full line out to take advantage of NVIDIA's slower progress. Apple would probably wait to release the parts until NVIDIA came out with its response just so they could take advantage of the competition in pricing for parts, though. Then again, if Apple can get their hands on a laptop GPU for a MBP refresh early they may run with it to try and one up the larger and slower PC vendors.

Then again, leave it to Apple to release products with poorly tested or incomplete KEXTs. ^.~

Apple should be playing with at least the former in its laptop form so I would expect to see a few kexts supporting them showing up relativity soon (this update or next).

I doubt there is going to be an i7 Macbook soon.

It won't have NVIDIA chipset, so no more integrated 9400, back to Intel IGP, significant performance decreases on pretty much all over Apple lineup.

Core i7 mobile still consumes a lot of power compared to C2D Penryns.

• 2 weeks later...
I doubt there is going to be an i7 Macbook soon.

It won't have NVIDIA chipset, so no more integrated 9400, back to Intel IGP, significant performance decreases on pretty much all over Apple lineup.

Core i7 mobile still consumes a lot of power compared to C2D Penryns.

Why do you say that it wont be a Nvidia chipset?

• 2 weeks later...

which wasn't something that we can say Apple "is' or "was" renowned for till as of yet.. wink wink ;):(

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

For subtitles in Qicktime use Perian ;) .