[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install on Asus EeePC 1000HE

441 posts in this topic

Also for those looking for the shutdown solution and just skipping to the end of this post here it is:

To solve the shutdown problem, I got rid of the "OpenHaltRestart.kext" in the Extra/GeneralExtentions folder, and installed the "OpenHaltRestart.kext" from Blackosx's post here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954 (you can get the kext by downloading the support files in the post). I installed this kext using Kext Utility.

Thanks!

WOW... Thanks... for the detailed post and the fix for the shutdown restart... sleep wifi and BT not comming back issue... There is only one thing I changed with your method... see the files in the /extra/generalextentions/ are never loaded.... the files your are loading are in the /extra/extensions.mkext so you are essentially loading two copies of the openhaltrestart.kext and can cause you problems in the future... so what I did is got the kext for the source you posted and added it to the extensions.mkext and updated the extra.zip file that is in my post. So now when you copy the extra folder to the root the new and working openhaltrestart.kext is there ... and I can confirm it works flawlessly... I am updating my guide to reflect this.... thanks for you help...

WOW... Thanks... for the detailed post and the fix for the shutdown restart... sleep wifi and BT not comming back issue... There is only one thing I changed with your method... see the files in the /extra/generalextentions/ are never loaded.... the files your are loading are in the /extra/extensions.mkext so you are essentially loading two copies of the openhaltrestart.kext and can cause you problems in the future... so what I did is got the kext for the source you posted and added it to the extensions.mkext and updated the extra.zip file that is in my post. So now when you copy the extra folder to the root the new and working openhaltrestart.kext is there ... and I can confirm it works flawlessly... I am updating my guide to reflect this.... thanks for you help...

Many, many thanks to MoonDogg and jojitsu for their guides, patience end persistence.

I have two questions MoonDogg might want to kindly answer: if I update/change kests in /E/GE and run the NetbookInstaller UpdateExtra, shouldn't /E extensions.mkext be updated acoording with kexts update/changes? Does UpdateExtra consider only the /E/GE folder content or (recursively) rather the whole content of /E?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Many, many thanks to MoonDogg and jojitsu for their guides, patience end persistence.

I have two questions MoonDogg might want to kindly answer: if I update/change kests in /E/GE and run the NetbookInstaller UpdateExtra, shouldn't /E extensions.mkext be updated acoording with kexts update/changes? Does UpdateExtra consider only the /E/GE folder content or (recursively) rather the whole content of /E?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Well to tell you the truth.. I don't know whta that UpdateExtra app does... I don't have it on my computer any more... think it went away after I copied the extra's folder on top of it... The way I update the extensions.mkext file is with a utility called MKextTool made by pcwiz.

Haha, I figured there was something a bit more complicated / slightly better way to fix the shutdown / sleep issues. This really is my first os x install on my 1000he (was waiting for wireless to work natively which thankfully happened in 10.6), so glad to hear it's working in more than one place. I updated my os x partition with what you did above as opposed to my original edit and everything looks like it is working swimmingly.

There are really absolutely no issues with this install and it's almost like the 1000HE was born to run OS X now. It's really surpassed any expectations I could have, plus the installation for everything is so simple with this guide and its probably one of the easiest installation of 10.6 on the whole insanelymac forums. Great work with the post and updates MoonDogg! Glad its working pretty much for almost everyone!

Well to tell you the truth.. I don't know whta that UpdateExtra app does... I don't have it on my computer any more... think it went away after I copied the extra's folder on top of it... The way I update the extensions.mkext file is with a utility called MKextTool made by pcwiz.

Thank you for the info. If I understand correctly, your /E extensions.mkext contains all the kests from /E/GE and /S/L/E (is that so?).

I do not mean to criticize, but your method depends on the creation of the /E extensions.mkext bundle that you kindly provide us after each update/improvement, so every user's customization of the kests won't be applied/seen to/by the kernel until you build a new extensions.mkex (excuse me if I don't express myself with the correct technical wording, but I hope you get the concept). I run into this problem cose I replaced the IOATAfamily.kext from your /E folder with an older version to have my wireless card working under SL. Others might need to tweak /E/GE or /S/L/E kests after installation for whatever other reason.

You might want to give a look at UpdateExtra. It's included with the NetbookInstaller.app, and it shouldn't be a problem to extract it from the pkg and include it with your installation support files.

Thank you for the info. If I understand correctly, your /E extensions.mkext contains all the kests from /E/GE and /S/L/E (is that so?).

I do not mean to criticize, but your method depends on the creation of the /E extensions.mkext bundle that you kindly provide us after each update/improvement, so every user's customization of the kests won't be applied/seen to/by the kernel until you build a new extensions.mkex (excuse me if I don't express myself with the correct technical wording, but I hope you get the concept). I run into this problem cose I replaced the IOATAfamily.kext from your /E folder with an older version to have my wireless card working under SL. Others might need to tweak /E/GE or /S/L/E kests after installation for whatever other reason.

You might want to give a look at UpdateExtra. It's included with the NetbookInstaller.app, and it shouldn't be a problem to extract it from the pkg and include it with your installation support files.

Well that is just how it was setup from netbookinstaller.app you can extract the extensions.mkext into the folder /extra/extensions/ and they would load then... and then you can update as you see fit... but no files under /Ex/GE/ load.. there just there... or you can modify or add kext to the /S/L/E folder and it would work also.. but if it is also includeing in the extentions.mkext under the extra's folder it will load twice and can cause problems... I never said my way was the only way.. its just the way I have found that works after much searching through forums and stuff and figured I would share with everyone in one spot... that update extra app might take whats in the GE folder and add it to the extenstions.mkext... IDK? I will have to investigate that when I get some time...

i don't know if anyone else experienced this. But is anyone else getting their drives showing up as external? I ran through your steps on another 1000HE, and the main hdd is coming up as external.

yeah mine shows up as external as well but i have not noticed any issues with that.... I never realy look into it to deeply.... let me know if you find anything out about it.. and I will do the same..

i don't know if anyone else experienced this. But is anyone else getting their drives showing up as external? I ran through your steps on another 1000HE, and the main hdd is coming up as external.

Yep, mine has always come up as external as well, though it doesn't pose any problems really as it's the boot drive still. Updates and everything have worked fine with it so far for me.

I have tried that fix, but it doesn't seem to help?

EDIT: I found another version that I got to work on my end. I think that the installation from mozartsql may just be corrupt.

Download the attachment below. Copy the files not the folders from the zip to \System\Library\Extenstions. Reboot your computer and the icons should be fixed.

OrangeHDIconFix.zip

I have just run this install and followed as carefully as I could see and I've got several issues outstanding

- No bluetooth

- No wireless

- No ethernet

I think I have missed something at some point - what could it be?

Do you have a 1000HE? Is it US or EU? Did you copy the extra's folder after installing netbookinstaller.app? Did you install the ethernet kext? Did you install the modified bluetooth kext? If so how did you install it?

With that information we should be able to help you.

Yesssss !!! works nice... thanx for all :P:D:D the only thing is when i put the new installed baby to sleep... he wont wake up... no problems with bluetooth it works after i shut down or reboot... 'bout wifi there wouldn't be any problems i have the one from my dead macbook :):P

is there a kext like " openhaltrestart " that i could change to enable the wake up after sleep ?

i noticed something.. it wakes up... but there is just the screen not waking up i can connect to from another Mac remotely... any idea on how to solve it ?

thanx again for the good work

MacVador

Do you have a 1000HE? Is it US or EU?

Yes, it's the Asus EeePC 1000HE (EPC-1000HE-BLK002X). It has 1GB of RAM by default, an upgraded 500GB HDD and is running BIOS 1002. I am unsure if it is US or EU as I live in Australia, but is there any simple way to tell?

Did you copy the extra's folder after installing netbookinstaller.app?

I did and I have also done this again since for good measure.

Did you install the ethernet kext? Did you install the modified bluetooth kext? If so how did you install it?

Yes and yes. I installed these by following the instructions here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...php/t18757.html

I have done this again since and I now have working Ethernet, but still not WiFi or Bluetooth. Also, I am now getting a funny message when booting saying that my Hybernate file is out of date by XXXXXXX seconds - is that something to be concerned about? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it's the Asus EeePC 1000HE (EPC-1000HE-BLK002X). It has 1GB of RAM by default, an upgraded 500GB HDD and is running BIOS 1002. I am unsure if it is US or EU as I live in Australia, but is there any simple way to tell?

I did and I have also done this again since for good measure.

Yes and yes. I installed these by following the instructions here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...php/t18757.html

I have done this again since and I now have working Ethernet, but still not WiFi or Bluetooth. Also, I am now getting a funny message when booting saying that my Hybernate file is out of date by XXXXXXX seconds - is that something to be concerned about? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok the wifi should work after the initial install and after the netbookinstaller.app and the extra's folder.. if its not working... I am kinda stumped... the bluetooth try installing the driver with the kexthelper app... its in my guide... let me know how it goes...

Ok the wifi should work after the initial install and after the netbookinstaller.app and the extra's folder.. if its not working... I am kinda stumped...

Oh please don't say that. Without WiFi it's basically useless to me as I only operate within wireless networks. Going to try running software update and see if it fixes anything.

Is it possible that mine has a different WiFi card to yours? And if so, is there a simple way to check and track down a different driver for it?

Ok the wifi should work after the initial install and after the netbookinstaller.app and the extra's folder.. if its not working... I am kinda stumped...

I've updated to OS X 10.6.1 and still no dice on the WiFi. I'm less worried about Bluetooth and will give that a go again later this evening (Australian time).

Any chance you have any other ideas on the WiFi front? This is really the only thing I need working urgently.

Oh please don't say that. Without WiFi it's basically useless to me as I only operate within wireless networks. Going to try running software update and see if it fixes anything.

Is it possible that mine has a different WiFi card to yours? And if so, is there a simple way to check and track down a different driver for it?

I've updated to OS X 10.6.1 and still no dice on the WiFi. I'm less worried about Bluetooth and will give that a go again later this evening (Australian time).

Any chance you have any other ideas on the WiFi front? This is really the only thing I need working urgently.

Mitch Malone try this (it worked for my 1000H with a ralink RT2860 WiFi card):

1. get the leo 10.5.7 combo update from Apple and extract the IOATAFamily.kext with Pacifist (it should be v 2.0.1);

2. copy this file to your /Extra/GeneralExtensions folder and run UpdateExtra (it was installed in your /Extra folder by the NetbookInstaller.app): this is mandatory as it will update the Extensions.mkext in your /Extra folder as well as the Extensions.mkext in /S/L (if you don't, any *.kext changes done at /E/GE won't be loaded by the kernel);

3. reboot (your boot time should be much shorter...)

4. go to the Ralink web site and download their PCI drivers for for the RT2860 (they are rated for 10.5), install and before you reboot run the Update Extra again (I'm not sure this is required, but it doesn't harm);

5. at reboot, you might be asked to configure a new Network interface and an application named WirelessUtilityCardbusPCI that scans for WiFi networks should be launched at login.

Let us know.

Mitch Malone try this (it worked for my 1000H with a ralink RT2860 WiFi card):

1. get the leo 10.5.7 combo update from Apple and extract the IOATAFamily.kext with Pacifist (it should be v 2.0.1);

2. copy this file to your /Extra/GeneralExtensions folder and run UpdateExtra (it was installed in your /Extra folder by the NetbookInstaller.app): this is mandatory as it will update the Extensions.mkext in your /Extra folder as well as the Extensions.mkext in /S/L (if you don't, any *.kext changes done at /E/GE won't be loaded by the kernel);

4. go to the Ralink web site and download their PCI drivers for for the RT2860 (they are rated for 10.5), install and before you reboot run the Update Extra again (I'm not sure this is required, but it doesn't harm);

5. at reboot, you might be asked to configure a new Network interface and an application named WirelessUtilityCardbusPCI that scans for WiFi networks should be launched at login.

Let us know.

Thanks, I am trying this now (just waiting on the Combo Update to download)...

If it's of any help, these are the specs my System Profiler outputs.

Thanks for all the help, but infortunately at this step...

...my boot time is drastically shorter (see here).

Yes, unfortunately everything is dead! lol

Step 3 has borked my install and I am now sure how to recover except to start over?

I am starting to feel like my Netbook has different hardware to most users, I am having a lot more issues than most seem to be reporting.

Thanks for all the help, but infortunately at this step...

...my boot time is drastically shorter (see here).

Yes, unfortunately everything is dead! lol

Step 3 has borked my install and I am now sure how to recover except to start over?

I am starting to feel like my Netbook has different hardware to most users, I am having a lot more issues than most seem to be reporting.

Have you tried to force reboot (I have sporadic KPs at startup too)?