MoonDogg

[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install on Asus EeePC 1000HE

440 posts in this topic

Any ideas? It sucks to not be able to use the WIFI. I'm almost positive it has something to do with the sound because evertime the sound is working the WIFI is not. After I installed the VoodooHDA kext it stopped working. It still shows up in the network prefrences but when I try to turn it on it doesn't do anything.

EDIT: I went into the BIOS, disabled then renabled the WIFI and now it seems to be working great. Few more issues tho, first of all the sound output is very low, and the VoodoHDA pref panel doesn't work and gives me the following error - "Can't map Memory".

Also how would I set up some of the function keys and special keys to work? Sorry for all the questions but I'm almost there to a perfect install.

Advertisement

Hi, thanks for the guide, it all went smooth and speed and performances are really good. The only thing I've noticed is that Deep Sleep is not working as expected. The computer goes to sleep but if you power it off it doesn't wake from hibernation (doesn't correctly save the RAM status to disk). Have you also noticed this? Thanks again for everything

Any ideas? It sucks to not be able to use the WIFI. I'm almost positive it has something to do with the sound because evertime the sound is working the WIFI is not. After I installed the VoodooHDA kext it stopped working. It still shows up in the network prefrences but when I try to turn it on it doesn't do anything.

EDIT: I went into the BIOS, disabled then renabled the WIFI and now it seems to be working great. Few more issues tho, first of all the sound output is very low, and the VoodoHDA pref panel doesn't work and gives me the following error - "Can't map Memory".

Also how would I set up some of the function keys and special keys to work? Sorry for all the questions but I'm almost there to a perfect install.

GREAT glad you got the wifi working...

the voodohda thing is you have the wrong version loaded... I have voodoohda in the mkext file that is the correct version that works with prefpane... if you are loading another one it is over riding it and and is the incorrect version...

the sound output being low is well... how it is.. I have not figure out a way to get it to get any better... the voodoo team is working on it though.... if you figure something out let us know... I know I will if I find something...

fuction keys... the screen brightness works and that is about it... you can get them to work with scripts.. but I have not done that and am not going to either... so you will have to find that info somewhere else....

Hi, thanks for the guide, it all went smooth and speed and performances are really good. The only thing I've noticed is that Deep Sleep is not working as expected. The computer goes to sleep but if you power it off it doesn't wake from hibernation (doesn't correctly save the RAM status to disk). Have you also noticed this? Thanks again for everything

Sorry I have not experience this issue.. maybe someone else has and has a suggestion? anyone?

is there a way to enable speedstep? i've noticed that under windows the battery last 8 hours and half, under os x is slightly worse...

is there a way to enable speedstep? i've noticed that under windows the battery last 8 hours and half, under os x is slightly worse...

speedstep works... the battery has to do with power management... since os x was never ment to be on this hardware.. it does not know how to handle it super efficiently.. that is where the SHE software comes in from asus... but they don't make it for os x.... there is a similar software for linux that a guy developed.... and I have been tring to port it to os x but have been unsuccessful.. its needs a kernel extension that is written for linux that I don't know how to rewrite for os x. so for now slightly less battery life is a trade off in os x.

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1000he with swapped wifi card so everything works almost perfect with 10.6.2 except for speedstep. The problem is that speedstep doesn't work when netbook wakes up after sleep.

That is really the only issue I have right now, other than that everything perfect with ssd disk, waaaay better than Win 7.

xtian_75,

What did you swap your wifi card to? Where got? How much? Is 802.11n working?

My SL disk should be arriving this week, if so I'll try and install this weekend.

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1000he with swapped wifi card so everything works almost perfect with 10.6.2 except for speedstep. The problem is that speedstep doesn't work when netbook wakes up after sleep.

That is really the only issue I have right now, other than that everything perfect with ssd disk, waaaay better than Win 7.

you can re-speedstep it unloading and reloading the voodoopowermini kext. Just make a respeedstep.command file on oyur desktop with these lines written:

sudo kextunload /path/to/VodooPowerMini.kext

sudo kextload /path/to/VodooPowerMini.kext

Are you able to hibernate it? so far i've only managed to make normal sleep work.

To ones which 1000he deepsleeps correctly: what BIOS version are you running on?

Thnks

hello, sorry to bother. i updated from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 following the guide at the beginning. when i first did it i got an error that the ps2 kext wasnt compatible. then when it restarted i got that grey screen that u need to reset. i reset in verbose and it worked, but now my touchpad isnt working at all. i tried reinstalling the voodoops2 but same thing again. help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advace

Hi Everyone,

I had the same problem until I placed voodoopowerMini.kext into S/L/E. That did the trick for me (using version 1.2.49)

xtian_75,

What did you swap your wifi card to? Where got? How much? Is 802.11n working?

My SL disk should be arriving this week, if so I'll try and install this weekend.

This is the card code:

Apple BCM94321MC Wireless-N 300Mbps Mini PCI-E

works very good, it's recognised as Airport. Price was around 30 euro on ebay.

I had the same problem until I placed voodoopowerMini.kext into S/L/E. That did the trick for me (using version 1.2.49)

Thanks for your help. Let me ask this, shouldn't this kext already be included in the mkext? Would it create a problem if I put it also in S/L/Extra? Do I just move the file or use Kext helper?

Thanks

Running fairly well on a 1000h now. (Finally got my audio sorted).

I remember from Leopard having problems with the backlight being turned off when it wakes from sleep, and having to use the brightness controls on the keyboard to fix it. I'm now having the same problem on 10.6. Is this expected behaviour? Or is there a fix?

Attempting to install OS X 10.6 from a retail DVD onto a formatted USB drive from my iMac PPC G5 running Mac OS X v10.5.8.

When I 'Open (double click) OSInstall.mpkg' I get:

'This package contains a program that determines if the software can be installed. Are you sure you want to continue?'

I click Continue, then get:

'Alert - Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer.' The only option here is Close which closes the Installer.

Any help would be much appreciated ... Thanks

Attempting to install OS X 10.6 from a retail DVD onto a formatted USB drive from my iMac PPC G5 running Mac OS X v10.5.8.

When I 'Open (double click) OSInstall.mpkg' I get:

'This package contains a program that determines if the software can be installed. Are you sure you want to continue?'

I click Continue, then get:

'Alert - Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer.' The only option here is Close which closes the Installer.

Any help would be much appreciated ... Thanks

I think that the only way to proceed if you don't have an already running INTEL OS X environment is to make an USB bootable installation disk basically doing this:

from g5:

- Clone an original leopard installation disk to the USB pendrive

- Install Chamaleon and the 10.6 mkext into the pendrive following the steps in this thread

from the eeebook:

- Boot in the eeebook with this prepared key and install snow over it (remember to format the disk to GUID once in the installation process)

from g5:

- Mount the eeebook HD into your G5 and install Chamaleon + the mkexts in the HD

- It should now boot in your eeebook once you mount it back into it.

hey i need some help...

so i just installed 10.6 onto my 1005ha and i tried to update it to 10.6.1 but when i try to, theres this "combined" update thing. which im not sure wat it means. and then i just updated but when i restart it gets a kernel panic. should i place newer extensions.mkext (the one for the 10.6.2 update) in the extra folder???

:D That's hard to read. I'm going to refurnish this guide in Microsoft Word (2010 Beta, but 2008 and 2007 can read it) with more pizazz, spacing, and stuff.

I'll upload it when done.

Wait..are you installing SL to the USB Drive or what?

hey i need some help...

so i just installed 10.6 onto my 1005ha and i tried to update it to 10.6.1 but when i try to, theres this "combined" update thing. which im not sure wat it means. and then i just updated but when i restart it gets a kernel panic. should i place newer extensions.mkext (the one for the 10.6.2 update) in the extra folder???

yes you need the newer one for 10.6.2

:D That's hard to read. I'm going to refurnish this guide in Microsoft Word (2010 Beta, but 2008 and 2007 can read it) with more pizazz, spacing, and stuff.

I'll upload it when done.

Wait..are you installing SL to the USB Drive or what?

Yes then you clone it to the internal drive....

Hi pple,

Newbie here. Great guide. I have upgraded 1000HE to 10.6.2 by swapping sleeper kext GE with one on here. Everything works perfect. Kudos

Hello MoonDogg,

I have 1000he with dual boot winxp + snow leopard 10.6.2.

All working like a charm, except for dual monitor.

The eeepc freezes when the rgb cable is plugged.

It works randomly once in a while.

Is there any fix for this?

Thanks in advance,

Maurizio

Hello MoonDogg,

I have 1000he with dual boot winxp + snow leopard 10.6.2.

All working like a charm, except for dual monitor.

The eeepc freezes when the rgb cable is plugged.

It works randomly once in a while.

Is there any fix for this?

Thanks in advance,

Maurizio

The only issue I have had with the display is putting it in mirror mode... here is the fix.

Display Problems

Another "problem with shutdown" issue.

I just updated to 10.6.2 and everything works except for the shutdown. The computer hangs until I hold the power button to manually shut it down.

I've scanned the forums and it seems that the only fix is to replace the IOBluetooth kext's, which I have already done. In fact I've replaced the IOBluetooth, ethernet kext's and ran the update kext in the extra's folder. Shutdown does not want to function.

Any other ideas?

UPDATE: I completely deleted and updated the Extra's folder via netbook installer app (and extensions.mkext) and reinstalled all kext's and the shutdown problem is still there.

UPDATE 2: I forgot to include that I'm using the latest netbook installer 0.83 FINAL... maybe I should go down to RC5 or RC4?

UPDATE 3: If I put the 1000he to sleep then wake it up, the shutdown function works!!! What's going on?!?!?

PS - Restart and sleep (and wake up) all function as they're supposed to.

Thanks!

Great guide, my first install only took 12 hours because I'm apparently not so good at following instructions. :thumbsup_anim:

I do have a couple of problems and questions.

First, often when I wake the unit from sleep I get a perpetual spinning beach ball icon and have to power off and reboot. Did I do something wrong with my install? Is anyone else having this issue?

Second, when I go to "About this Mac" under Processor it says "1.66 GHz Unknown". Is this normal? Or did I botch something? I have seen youtube videos of OS X on the 1000HE showing it recognizing the Atom processor. I don't really care if OS X correctly identifies my processor to me, but I am concerned that if it doesn't correctly identify the processor to itself things like hyper-threading and speedstep and such may not actually be working. Is there a way to verify these things are working?

Finally, this thread has grown quite long, and I've read the entire thing, but I'm sure my eyes glossed over at least a few things, so I was wondering if I missed a few questions being definitively answered:

Has anyone actually managed to get the Trackpad pref pane to work? Lots of its features would be nice, but more then anything I need tap-to-click to go away.

Have any solutions been discovered for the audio issues? (Too quiet, even with options in VoodooHDA pane set to max; settings in VoodooHDA not stored, crackle at the beginning of audio playback, etc.).

On startup, does that message about an expired hibernate file mean anything? Is there anyway to make it go away?

Has anyone gotten the rest of the function keys working? (Volume keys, especially!)

-=(Lord Crosis)=-

Great guide, my first install only took 12 hours because I'm apparently not so good at following instructions. ;)

I do have a couple of problems and questions.

First, often when I wake the unit from sleep I get a perpetual spinning beach ball icon and have to power off and reboot. Did I do something wrong with my install? Is anyone else having this issue?

Have not had this issue.. maybe someone else can help you here.

Second, when I go to "About this Mac" under Processor it says "1.66 GHz Unknown". Is this normal? Or did I botch something? I have seen youtube videos of OS X on the 1000HE showing it recognizing the Atom processor. I don't really care if OS X correctly identifies my processor to me, but I am concerned that if it doesn't correctly identify the processor to itself things like hyper-threading and speedstep and such may not actually be working. Is there a way to verify these things are working?

This is normal.. I had it saying atom @ one time but after updating to 10.6.2 it went to core solo... all the features work no matter what it says it is.

Finally, this thread has grown quite long, and I've read the entire thing, but I'm sure my eyes glossed over at least a few things, so I was wondering if I missed a few questions being definitively answered:

Has anyone actually managed to get the Trackpad pref pane to work? Lots of its features would be nice, but more then anything I need tap-to-click to go away.

Have not messed with the settings there... everything seems to work for me.. two finger scrolling works good... someone else may have more experience in what you want to do...

Have any solutions been discovered for the audio issues? (Too quiet, even with options in VoodooHDA pane set to max; settings in VoodooHDA not stored, crackle at the beginning of audio playback, etc.).

No not yet... if you find it let me know...

On startup, does that message about an expired hibernate file mean anything? Is there anyway to make it go away?

No it means nothing....

Has anyone gotten the rest of the function keys working? (Volume keys, especially!)

Not I... there is a way you can do it with scripts and stuff.. but I have not done it... just look around.. try it out.. let us know...

-=(Lord Crosis)=-

Have not had this issue.. maybe someone else can help you here.

It's pretty sporadic, and seems to be only after it has been sleeping for quite a long time (overnight).

This is normal.. I had it saying atom @ one time but after updating to 10.6.2 it went to core solo... all the features work no matter what it says it is.

Clearly you know what you're talking about, and I'm sure you're right, but do you happen to know of any way to verify that all of the features are working? Perhaps a utility that reports information about the CPU? I did a quick google search and didn't come up with anything, but I will continue to keep my eye out.

Have not messed with the settings there... everything seems to work for me.. two finger scrolling works good... someone else may have more experience in what you want to do...

Two finger scrolling works great, but changing settings in the pref pane has no effect. I just want to turn off tap-to-click, as with this tiny keyboard it is quite easy to accidentally tap while you are typing.

No not yet... if you find it let me know...

Will do...

Not I... there is a way you can do it with scripts and stuff.. but I have not done it... just look around.. try it out.. let us know...

I found a decent solution. Download and install Proxi. Launch it, and in the Proxi editor window under Triggers click the gear icon and choose Insert Trigger->Hotkey Monitor. When you select this trigger (and name it if you like), settings for it will appear in the right side of the window. Click the 'set' button and type the key combination you want to use as the trigger. Unfortunately the program doesn't recognize Fn-F10, so instead I used Alt-F10. In the middle panel (tasks) there is another gear icon at the bottom of the window. Click that and choose Insert Task->Keypress. Select this task, and in the right part of the window choose 'Mute' from the 'Key Press' menu. You can do essentially the same thing to add volume up, volume down and mirror. Then go to preferences and choose "Start at login" and "Hide dock and menu bar". Then forget you ever used the software (though it will add another menu bar icon).

-=(Lord Crosis)=-

It's pretty sporadic, and seems to be only after it has been sleeping for quite a long time (overnight).

Clearly you know what you're talking about, and I'm sure you're right, but do you happen to know of any way to verify that all of the features are working? Perhaps a utility that reports information about the CPU? I did a quick google search and didn't come up with anything, but I will continue to keep my eye out.

yeah there is a app called cpu-x. also got to apps/util then open activity monitor and look under the cpu tab if you see two cpu graphs then hyper threading works...

Two finger scrolling works great, but changing settings in the pref pane has no effect. I just want to turn off tap-to-click, as with this tiny keyboard it is quite easy to accidentally tap while you are typing.

Will do...

I found a decent solution. Download and install Proxi. Launch it, and in the Proxi editor window under Triggers click the gear icon and choose Insert Trigger->Hotkey Monitor. When you select this trigger (and name it if you like), settings for it will appear in the right side of the window. Click the 'set' button and type the key combination you want to use as the trigger. Unfortunately the program doesn't recognize Fn-F10, so instead I used Alt-F10. In the middle panel (tasks) there is another gear icon at the bottom of the window. Click that and choose Insert Task->Keypress. Select this task, and in the right part of the window choose 'Mute' from the 'Key Press' menu. You can do essentially the same thing to add volume up, volume down and mirror. Then go to preferences and choose "Start at login" and "Hide dock and menu bar". Then forget you ever used the software (though it will add another menu bar icon).

-=(Lord Crosis)=-