Hackintosh + Gaming PC Board Decision

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forum for quite a while now and I decided to start building a hackintosh.

My aim is to get a machine that can be used like a "normal" mac pro, but also as a gaming pc running windows.

I have been looking around for components and this is what I think I'm going to choose:

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 (should be great for overclocking)

Board: unknown (need help with that)

Ram: some 4GB DDR3 (2*2GB)

HDD: 320 GB Western Digital Caviar SATA as Boot Volume with 2 Partitions: Mac OSX + Windows 7 (or maybe XP)

1,5 TB Seagate Barracuda as Mac OSX Storage Volume

PSU: Corsair HX 650W ATX 2.2 (love the cable management)

GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 260² (can handle crysis, is really cheap and should be compatible, shouldn't it?)

Case: Powermac G5 Case (I already got that)

My Problem is the following: I cant decide which board to choose. It should be as easy as possible to install OSX but also not to expensive, probably arround 100€. I made a list with the attributes which are important for me:

– ATX formfactor

– 4 DDR3 RAM slots (or more)

– 4 Sata ports (or more)

– Hardwareraid onboard (not that important)

– Socket 775 (Q6600 compatible)

– NO fat ugly parallel port for printers (not thaaaat important, but i really hate this pink clump)

– PCI Express 16x (GPU requires one slot)

I hope there are not too many complicated factors.

I have been thinking about using the Asus P5W or a Gigabyte P45.

The most important thing is that its still easy enough to install. And, if that is somehow possible, able to be updated via softwareupdate.

I hope you can help me with the mainboard problem and give me some response regarding the components I have chosen.

Please excuse my english.

Thank you,

Madd!n

DDR 3 and Q6600 doesn't match :D

Can you explain why? And what would you recommend? Is there any other CPU that is supports DDR3 Memory? I chose this CPU because of it's overclocking capability in combination of the low price tag, do you think there is any other processor that can compare to the Q6600?

Or is there no other way than downgrading to DDR2 Memory to keep the low price in combination with the overclocking ability?

Thanks a lot,

Madd!n

Can you explain why? And what would you recommend? Is there any other CPU that is supports DDR3 Memory? I chose this CPU because of it's overclocking capability in combination of the low price tag, do you think there is any other processor that can compare to the Q6600?

Or is there no other way than downgrading to DDR2 Memory to keep the low price in combination with the overclocking ability?

Thanks a lot,

Madd!n

I5 and I7 supports DDR 3 . It will be hard finding a Q6600 as it's stopped being made about 6mounts or more ago. Q9950 should work if you want quad core and DDR2 will help you overclock as much as DDR3