LifeHacker snow leopard install method question

rodogg

6 posts in this topic

I went about installing osx on my hackintosh and now i am having a problem with my internet. First everything worked fine but after some use and breaking in, the internet began to constantly cut out. I would reset my modem and it would come back on but then cut out again. I have vista installed on another harddrive and so that is where i am posting this from.

I used the method that the guys at lifehacker came up with, they built a fresh system and installed osx, they used an ethernet card but i wasn't sure if it would be a problem not using one. I am guessing it is, but if anyone knows a way of fixing this without buying something extra i would really appreciate it. Thanks B)

could you tell us your system specs for the winning ?

otherwise i cannot give you any hand.

greetz

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.40ghz i think Q6600 not sure exactly

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Mother Board

8 Gig G-skill DDR2 800 ram

Evga Nvidia 9800GT

2 WD 500Gig HDD

LG DVD+R/RW DL

Thanks for the welcome.

I bought the card already :D but the problem now is that my system doesn't even detect it. It is the trendnet TEG-PCITXR 10/100/1000/2000. I have searched all over the internet and have had no luck fixing my internet problem. No kexts, nothing. When i use my mobo ethernet the internet will cut out after about a minute and will no longer work. I can't even use the ethernet card even though i have read that is should be auto supported by OSX. Even Adam from LifeHacker included it in his hackintosh build. But for some reason i can't get the things to work. OSX installs fine but internet doesn't work, so if you can please help.

I have installed Leopard and SnowLeopard and the network card has always worked without any additonal Kexts, changes or settings.

I would remove the network card, ensure the built in NIC is enabled in the Bios are re-install

Good luck,

George

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.40ghz i think Q6600 not sure exactly

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Mother Board

8 Gig G-skill DDR2 800 ram

Evga Nvidia 9800GT

2 WD 500Gig HDD

LG DVD+R/RW DL

Thanks for the welcome.

I bought the card already :D but the problem now is that my system doesn't even detect it. It is the trendnet TEG-PCITXR 10/100/1000/2000. I have searched all over the internet and have had no luck fixing my internet problem. No kexts, nothing. When i use my mobo ethernet the internet will cut out after about a minute and will no longer work. I can't even use the ethernet card even though i have read that is should be auto supported by OSX. Even Adam from LifeHacker included it in his hackintosh build. But for some reason i can't get the things to work. OSX installs fine but internet doesn't work, so if you can please help.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, just have built same config has rodogg and I have the same problem

this is not a BIOS issue cause snow Leo sees the card in the PCI device list in the "System profiler" Application.

but under the "installed driver" column it is written No :-/

can You please all check which revision of the TEX-PCITXR you have please ? mine is version H/W : 3.1R and the cover of the user manual says 3.11

what about yours ?

I have installed Leopard and SnowLeopard and the network card has always worked without any additonal Kexts, changes or settings.

I would remove the network card, ensure the built in NIC is enabled in the Bios are re-install

Good luck,

George

Question did you use the EP45UD3P Snow Leopard install package that has the "Top Hat and Magic Wand" icon? If so, that is Version 1 of the install package, and has sense been updated.

I bought the Motherboard from the lifehacker article (GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P) but had a different Graphic card and Version 1 didn't work that great, and had problems with the graphic card running slow.

Then I learned about Version 2 of the install package and it searches from the proper graphics and sound drivers and fixes the "About This Mac" screen. I highly recommended you reinstall with it. You can learn more and download the Version 2 package here. I call it the "pumpkin patch" you will see why :(

Oh, and I did use the on board Ethernet for about a week without any problems. (Now I use wireless.) Just make sure you did disable the Ethernet in your bios settings.