sroddy

[SOLVED] ATI Sapphire Radeon 1gb 4870 toxic on snow leopard

7 posts in this topic

UPDATE:

I perfecty resolved all the problems i've had.

The PC_EFI 10.4beta that tzel2 gave me worked once I've found the real problem: the new drivers didn't like my old monitor (although it was DVI!). I've bought a new monitor and everything is now working with QE/CI. It really seems that new drivers don't like some monitors... I've tried 3 VGA monitors and 1 of them worked, two DVI monitors and one of them is working. I think some work can be done with an EDID string, but i really don't care now, because my new monitor is very very good and big :)

Also, I've resolved (P6T Deluxe v2) the resume after sleep problem disabling in the BIOS "Repost VGA BIOS after S3 sleep" option.

Remember that this mobo needs -pci0 option in the boot.plist in order to correctly inject graphic card efi strings.

------

As other users reported, someone (incl. me) is having troubles getting 4870 working again under snow. The new snow drivers in fact make my system hang with gpu fan speeding up at max rpm and a black screen. The only working setup with snow drivers is to use EVOEnabler with a bin_image key in the Info.plist but this lead me to a working environment WITHOUT working QE/CI.

So far the only working solution is to recycle 10.5.8 kext, in conjunction with aty_init or using pcefi 10.3 injection capabilities.

in posting here the three needed kext to get at least it working under x32.

1) remove ATI4800Controller.kext

2) put the kexts in the attached folder into S/L/E or E/E, repair permissions and go!

ATINDRV.kext.zip

ATIRNDRV.kext.zip

ATY_Init.kext.zip

Advertisement
As other users reported, someone (incl. me) is having troubles getting 4870 working again under snow. The new snow drivers in fact make my system hang with gpu fan speeding up at max rpm and a black screen. The only working setup with snow drivers is to use EVOEnabler with a bin_image key in the Info.plist but this lead me to a working environment WITHOUT working QE/CI.

So far the only working solution is to recycle 10.5.8 kext, in conjunction with aty_init or using pcefi 10.3 injection capabilities.

in posting here the three needed kext to get at least it working under x32.

1) remove ATI4800Controller.kext

2) put the kexts in the attached folder into S/L/E or E/E, repair permissions and go!

I used ATY_Init and EVOEnabler and it works with QE. I haven't checked CI but I assume since QE works.

I used ATY_Init and EVOEnabler and it works with QE. I haven't checked CI but I assume since QE works.

are you using both of them? can you please upload here the files you are using?

Hi,

Try this attached file and remove Evoenabler and ATY_INIT and also any leopard drivers that you've installed.

put back ATI4800Controller.kext and follow these instructions:

http://netkas.org/?p=224

hi, thanks for the reply. I've tried your PC_EFI and it's better than netkas' one (at least i can see display). Unfortunately i get no QE/CI. The result is the same as with certain EVOEnabler (if I put a <ATY,bin_image> key in the Info.plist i get display working without QE/CI, if I don't put that key, I get black screen, max rpm gpu fan and system hangs). With 10.5.8 drivers I get QE/CI no matter if I inject ATY,bin_image key...

How much VRAM do you have in your 4870 toxic? if you have a 1gb card, can you please give me your BIOS rom? maybe it's just a matter of it... also can you please upload here your evoenabler/aty_init you are using to make it work?

hi, thanks for the reply. I've tried your PC_EFI and it's better than netkas' one (at least i can see display). Unfortunately i get no QE/CI. The result is the same as with certain EVOEnabler (if I put a <ATY,bin_image> key in the Info.plist i get display working without QE/CI, if I don't put that key, I get black screen, max rpm gpu fan and system hangs). With 10.5.8 drivers I get QE/CI no matter if I inject ATY,bin_image key...

The PCEFI it's Netka's, not mine

I don't know any other solution.