Sprint USB Tethering

mikecwest

2 posts in this topic

I have been trying to tether a Sprint Lotus, however it appears that changes have been made in snow leopard.

In leopard and earlier, I could plug this phone in and open NETWORKS control panel, and it would detect a new connection.

In Snow Leopard it brings a new menubar item that shows "initializing," however never does anything else. It also does not allow me to add it as a dial-up modem.

Any ideas?

If it helps, the phone is an LG Lotus on an unlimited data plan with phone as modem add-on (PAM)

• 2 months later...
I have been trying to tether a Sprint Lotus, however it appears that changes have been made in snow leopard.

In leopard and earlier, I could plug this phone in and open NETWORKS control panel, and it would detect a new connection.

In Snow Leopard it brings a new menubar item that shows "initializing," however never does anything else. It also does not allow me to add it as a dial-up modem.

Any ideas?

If it helps, the phone is an LG Lotus on an unlimited data plan with phone as modem add-on (PAM)

I finally got this working..... I deleted the KEXT in

/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleWWANSupport.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleWWANSupport1.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleWWANSupport2.kext

After doing this I was able to setup a Bluetooth DUN Connection....

I poked around in 10.5.8 and found there is a kext

/System/Library/ExtensionsIOSerialFamily.kext//Contents/Plugins/InternalUSBModem.kext

This did not seem to have any effect, regardless i left it.....

The last step that I did, which made a difference is the deletion of:

/System/Library/Extensions/CellphoneHelper.kext

After this, when I open Network Preferences with the cellphone plugged in, it says that a new "LG USB MODEM" was detected. I am not sure if this is the only change that is needed, as I left the previous changes. 10.5 did not have that kext, so it was my newest attempt over a long period of time that allowed it to happen. I will try on a clean install with that change first, and (if no luck, then the InternalUSBModem.kext) and see if it will work without removing the WWAN kext)

In any case, I don't have a WWAN device, so I am sure that I don't need those Kexts.

I hope that this problem solves issues that others have had!

Any ideas?

I finally got this working..... I deleted the KEXT in

/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleWWANSupport.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleWWANSupport1.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleWWANSupport2.kext

After doing this I was able to setup a Bluetooth DUN Connection....

I poked around in 10.5.8 and found there is a kext

/System/Library/ExtensionsIOSerialFamily.kext//Contents/Plugins/InternalUSBModem.kext

This did not seem to have any effect, regardless i left it.....

The last step that I did, which made a difference is the deletion of:

/System/Library/Extensions/CellphoneHelper.kext

After this, when I open Network Preferences with the cellphone plugged in, it says that a new "LG USB MODEM" was detected. I am not sure if this is the only change that is needed, as I left the previous changes. 10.5 did not have that kext, so it was my newest attempt over a long period of time that allowed it to happen. I will try on a clean install with that change first, and (if no luck, then the InternalUSBModem.kext) and see if it will work without removing the WWAN kext)

In any case, I don't have a WWAN device, so I am sure that I don't need those Kexts.

I hope that this problem solves issues that others have had!